Can you recommend me some games for my Mum?

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
So it's my Mum's birthday on Saturday and i was going to get her Stacking, a neat looking puzzle game from Double Fine but the computer she has is very basic and can't run it.

It can run her favorite games: Plants vs Zombies and the Lego games. She also likes Lego Rock Raiders and Settlers 6.

Bearing all this in mind I would appreciate suggestions on games she might like.

She likes games which are not hard, strategy based and fun. She will not play any first person/third person games because she can't handle moving around in 3D. Old games are fine as well, probably preferred because the computer isn't great.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
My mom plays Diablo, Torchlight, Dragon Age, etc, and PopCap/Pogo games... Hmm.

Have you tried her with a Sim City or Civ game? Those might be fun. Pharaoh/Emperor/Caesar or any Sierra game?

Maybe set up a Steam or GoG account on her computer and go through the lists there, see what she likes.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
My mom has kind of that attitude.
She plays nothing but hidden object games and bejeweled clones.

ben---neb

Apr 22, 2009
IndomitableSam said:
My mom plays Diablo, Torchlight, Dragon Age, etc, and PopCap/Pogo games... Hmm.

Have you tried her with a Sim City or Civ game? Those might be fun. Pharaoh/Emperor/Caesar or any Sierra game?

Maybe set up a Steam or GoG account on her computer and go through the lists there, see what she likes.
I think she would find a Civ game too hard and 'hardcore' she liked Settlers because it was easy!

Yeah, I might just sit her down and see what games she likes the look of.

lslines

Jul 26, 2009
It sounds like she might enjoy puzzle-platformer Blocks That Matter, if she can run it? If she can run Plants vs Zombies she should be able to run this. Although it does get a fair bit harder as it progresses, it has a reasonable learning curve, and is very cute with simple mechanics.

jbm1986

May 18, 2012
I can only think of 2 maybe 3 tops:

- Slender.

- Dark Souls.

- Ninja Gaiden.

Also, I'd steer clear of anything like the following:

- Mario kart

- Angry birds

- Minecraft

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
My mum plays Animal Crossing and Professor Layton.
Too bad that's DS.

She got tendonitis from playing Animal Crossing too aggressively.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Super Smash Bros is fun for everyone. Something split screen and Nintendo usually does the job. As long as it's not Dead Space......I have it on good authority that mothers hate that game

ben---neb

Apr 22, 2009
In the end I'm going for Rollercoaster tycoon 3, she likes theme park world so this should be just up her street!

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
No-one made an inappropriate joke about how he has something in his pants that guy's mom could play with, OH WAIT SHE ALREADY HAS baZIIIIIING?

We are being mature today.

But on topic:
I would recommend a game of the "Anno" series. Very deep "build your own empire strategy" game.
E.g. Anno 1404 Gold Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Anno-1404-Gold-Edition-Pc/dp/B005OM6CGU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346454839&sr=8-1&keywords=anno

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
What about newer point-and-click adventure/puzzle games like Amanita Design's Machinarium or Botanicula? 2D Flash games with great artwork and charming characters. GOG has them at a reasonable price.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
ben---neb said:
So it's my Mum's birthday on Saturday and i was going to get her Stacking, a neat looking puzzle game from Double Fine but the computer she has is very basic and can't run it.

It can run her favorite games: Plants vs Zombies and the Lego games. She also likes Lego Rock Raiders and Settlers 6.

Bearing all this in mind I would appreciate suggestions on games she might like.

She likes games which are not hard, strategy based and fun. She will not play any first person/third person games because she can't handle moving around in 3D. Old games are fine as well, probably preferred because the computer isn't great.
Sid Meier's Pirates

It's on steam

It's system reqirements are a joke( Windows 98 ,256mb of ram and dx9) so it's less the PvZ or minecraft

and I still find it a fun little time waster

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
ben---neb said:
Play IJI, Hyper Princess Pitch and Hero Core will be just enough for her. Here is a trailer for just HPP:

Other recomendations are: Noitu Love 2, The Binding of Isaac, Spelunky and Irusu Syndrome

Gurgleflob

Jun 29, 2012
Dwarfs!? is a fun dwarf sim. It's a lot simpler than dwarf fortress and has low system requirements. It's a bit like lemmings. I love it. http://store.steampowered.com/app/35480/

Here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXAoJbCYVqs

The guy playing it did the voice over work for awesome dwarf after the creators heard his dwarf voice.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ben---neb said:
In the end I'm going for Rollercoaster tycoon 3, she likes theme park world so this should be just up her street!
It was a bit of a computer-crusher at the time, just a warning.

If it runs, though, fantastic choice!

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
Defense Grid: The awakening if the computer can run it.

Frozen Synapse
World of Goo
Creeper World
Avadon: The black fortress
Terraria
Dungeon Keeper 2
Master of Magic
Edit: Atom zombie smasher