Can you Separate your Perceptions or Sensibilities to Enjoy Something?

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
The point of most fiction writers is to make you believe in this world they created. You know its not, its fiction, and they are lying, they are fiction writers, but if they have just enough truth to it to make you believe you'll go along with it. After all, how many of us question the feasibility of Smauge the Dragon moving to silently when he's like the size of Godzilla?

Another is the Deus Ex Machina. For those that didn't take that in highschool English, it's Latin for "God from the Machine" and derives from the practice of ancient Greek plays getting their plots so convoluted that they would use a lever to lower a statue of a God and that God would fix the story.

Since then the term is used for any solution to a problem that comes out of nowhere, such as the Fire Mares in Krull or the Rail Gun in Transformers: Rise of the Fallen. Not all of its bad, the T Rex at the end of the Jurasic Park Movie for instance, but most take you out of the experience.

In that regard, two that come to mind for me is one of the Warhammer books (the novella based on the 8th edition starter box with Skaven and High Elves) at one point when things seem their darkest, the main hero of the high elf armies shows up out of nowhere and ripps into the Skaven (chaotic evil ratfolk) army like it was Dynasty Warriors on easy mode. If you know nothing of the high elves his name and important means nothing. His showing up does nothing to improve the story, and is only in it for that short amount of time.

Another the entirety of the 4th inuasha movie. I first saw this playing it on my computer for an anime convention movie room and me and the people in the room kept spouting off TV trope after TV trope after TV trope to the point where the end solution I couldn't figure out if this was a Deus Ex or a Checkove's gun.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Has anyone seperated their sensibilities to this form of animation to enjoy these movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0fFI0ziCs8
Nope. I get what they are trying to do, but... why did he stop disrobing himself after the shirt? I wanted to see how realistic he looked after taking his pants off... LOL

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Has anyone seperated their sensibilities to this form of animation to enjoy these movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0fFI0ziCs8
Nope. I get what they are trying to do, but... why did he stop disrobing himself after the shirt? I wanted to see how realistic he looked after taking his pants off... LOL
This movie borders between PG13 and R.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago, when I was considerably less critical about the media I consumed, a friend who was much more critical than I was said something to me which has stuck with me. As marginalised people (and I think this applies to many forms of marginalisation) we don't have a vast, vast plethora of media aimed at us, and thus sometimes when we refuse to allow ourselves the potential to enjoy something because we have a political problem with it all we're actually doing is hurting ourselves and robbing ourselves of stories which could perhaps speak to us on other levels.

But what's important about this process is that it takes place on our terms. You don't have to like anything, you don't have to ignore anything and it is absolutely worthwhile to make responsible choices in the media you consume and enjoy. But at the end of the day, a lot of marginalised people are emotionally very tough (far tougher than all the people who screech about other people being "triggered" while only consuming media made for and pandering specifically to them) and we can endure a lot. There's nothing wrong with enduring a lot for something which is rewarding enough to justify it.

So, I guess the answer is yes, sometimes.. but I feel no obligation to.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
It's a case by case thing imo. Depends on the level of it. Certain things I dislike easy to get over them. And depends on like if it's front and center, is it the entire point of the piece of media or what?

No particular right or wrong to this imo just varies on what does or does not ruin your enjoyment of something

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I find that if one aims to properly appreciate something, they must be able to separate themselves from it and be immersed in the world and see things through the eyes of the characters. If you just close off yourself because of your personal hangups then you're not gonna learn anything, you're not gonna grow, you're literally wasting time.

A good example of something that I enjoyed immensely through shutting off my own ideas and associating with something that the title of "nightmare scenario" is an understatement to is Saya no Uta. I still cherish the story to this day because it managed to put me in the place of someone who is both going insane and is completely horrible and I literally had never been at that place before. The place where someone who would have normally been irredeemable seems to be making the best of his situation and a place where the events of nightmarish horror feel like a genuinely "happy" ending when all things are considered.

Now, if I were to just be disgusted at the content that I do actually find disgusting normally and then stopped there without giving it a chance to tell its story instead of actively TRYING to enjoy the story, I would have never had such an interestingly singular experience. I know because I haven't been able to replicate it so far anyhow.