Can you still beat NES games?

alexdulcianu

Apr 7, 2010
I haven't played a NES game for like 12 years or so, until a week ago. The first game I tried was Super Contra, because I loved that game when I was a kid. The surprise? I can't even get pass the first level.

The last time I played it I was 6, and I used to beat the game at least twice a day. Now I die twice a minute. Don't get me wrong, I finished a lot of shooters, RPGs, beat'em-ups, you name it. But it seems like I am useless without a health bar or a save function. Did this happened to anyone else, or am I a moron?

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I don't think I've ever beaten one. I think I should invest in my own NES. Love the controllers.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Super mario 3 and megaman 2 are games I like to play every now & then. Quite fun and fortunately not that difficult.

michaelod

Jan 3, 2011
I was playing Super Mario World recently, it was a modded version with enemies everywhere and the floor is always ice, so I don't think it applies if I said I cant beat it anymore.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I can still beat them, but it takes a fair amount more time than it used to. Either they've gotten faster or modern games have slowed me down.

benderinTime

Dec 27, 2010
Not for me.
I've been playing my NES, and I can beat pretty much every game after getting used to them for a few minutes.

drbarno

Nov 18, 2009
I'm close to beating super mario bros. I'm on world 8, having problems with 8-2
and beat Super mario bros 2 recently.

(If you haven't guessed, I got that mario 25th anniversary thing)

alexdulcianu

Apr 7, 2010
Come to think of it, I miss the times when I didn't mind starting over after an hour of gameplay. Now I would just quit playing the game for a few weeks.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I went back and beat Battletoads a few months ago. Took me a little bit to get back into the swing of things, but "I've still got it!"

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I still pwn at Mega Man 2. Recently beat Legend of Zelda on the GBA (I <3 my DS Lite). Super Mario Bros. presents no problem at all, and if remakes are allowed, Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 4 (former on the GBA, latter on the DS) have both very recently fallen to my mastery.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Aside from Kirby's Adventure (which really wasn't that hard compared to the average NES game) I've beaten The Legend of Zelda and Mega Man 2 pretty recently and that's pretty much it...

I did manage to reach the penultimate bosses of Punch-Out!! (Super Macho Man, got very close to beating him about three times) and Zelda II (Thunderbird, after having to go through the entire Great Palace and getting my ass kicked by this ridiculously difficult boss about seven times I just gave up. Still, getting there was already an achievement I'm pretty proud of).

I did beat Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 and 3 through Super Mario All-Stars and GBA remakes, but those don't count because you can save there. I also own SMB 1 and 3 for the NES but I never got past world 8 in both (with the help of a friend I got really far in the final world of SMB3, which we reached without using flutes, unfortunately we didn't have enough time to finish it).

SimuLord said:
I still pwn at Mega Man 2. Recently beat Legend of Zelda on the GBA (I <3 my DS Lite). Super Mario Bros. presents no problem at all, and if remakes are allowed, Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest 4 (former on the GBA, latter on the DS) have both very recently fallen to my mastery.
I don't know about Dragon Quest 4, but the Final Fantasy remake is much easier than the very annoying NES original. To illustrate: in the original, if two party members target one enemy and the first attack will kill it, the second attack will miss entirely. You don't want to know how annoying that is.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Meagman 1 - 6, SMB 1 - 3, Kirby, and Metroid are all just candy to me.

The first one to REALLY challenge me was Bionic Commando, but it was still easy.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Of course I can. I still play the old Zeldas, Shadowrun, Super Marios, Mega Man.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Of course. All the NES Megamans and Marios were my childhood rituals. Oddly of all the old Nintendo franchises Zelda 1 and 2 are probably the hardest ones to finish consistently, but I have done it in the past.

Never tried it as a kid, but I'm still attempting to beat the first Ninja Gaiden on the VC.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I couldn't beat NES games when they were still relevant. It took me until the release of Super Mario Crossover to beat THAT...as Ryu...