Can you suggest any finished anime I can watch instead of Berserk to scratch my dark fantasy itch?

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
inu-kun said:
Chaika the coffin princess, yes it looks like a moe anime, but it's got good female characters with actual flaws the evolve through the story. It's also a bit more realistic and doesn't have the god mode sue anime likes to devolve to.
Honestly, that's what makes it dark.

Chaika is fucking adorable. Character design, personality, speaking pattern, all designed for maximum moe. And all of it serves to make the things she goes through and the revelations about herself and the world that much darker.

Someone else mentioned Garo earlier. As much as i have loved Garo and throw my suggestion behind it, the protagonist being a whiny, angsty uberdark little shit lessens the impact of the darkness in the narrative. I just care so much less because i know that even if he were in a field full of flowers he would still be an angry dipshit.

Of course, the fact that Garo proceeds to call Leon out on this shit and demand that he grow the fuck up is a big part of why i love it.