Canada

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I live in the UK but been thinking recently of moving to Canada as i've heard it's a great place to live. Thing is, it's absolutely MASSIVE so...where? I heard Ontario was nice thinking Ontario was a town but turns out it's a province.

So, has anyone been to a great place in Canada or lives in Canada that they think would be a good place to look into moving to?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I generally advise people not to take advice from net randoms.

This would be especially true for something really serious like moving to a new nation.

Why would you want to move to somewhere that you've "heard" vaguely is nice?

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Ooh, I was thinking about making this exact thread!
I'm in the same boat, living in the UK but want to move to Canada.
Being hugely into the hardcore scene I can tell you that Toronto has the best music scene in the world as far as I'm concerned, so I'm moving there!

...I just don't know how to do it yet. I'm training to be a teacher and hoping that I'll get a job over there once I'm qualified.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
PureChaos said:
I live in the UK but been thinking recently of moving to Canada as i've heard it's a great place to live. Thing is, it's absolutely MASSIVE so...where? I heard Ontario was nice thinking Ontario was a town but turns out it's a province.

So, has anyone been to a great place in Canada or lives in Canada that they think would be a good place to look into moving to?
You have a couple of choices. Don't let the Quebec bashers detract the place for you, most of them are pretty nice. The only psychos you get are the Bloc party and the separatists, who are a minority.

Ontario is nice, I live in Guelph, and most of the cities are a few hours drive in each direction. Plus there are loads of campgrounds and lakes around here.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
CrashBang said:
Being hugely into the hardcore scene I can tell you that Toronto has the best music scene in the world as far as I'm concerned, so I'm moving there!

...I just don't know how to do it yet. I'm training to be a teacher and hoping that I'll get a job over there once I'm qualified.
Nonono, don't move to Toronto. It has the worst traffic ever. Move to one of the cities outside of Toronto, liked Guelph, Hamilton or Kitchener. Its about an hour and half drive to the downtown area of Toronto, but the daily commutes are nowhere near as bad as if you lived in the city.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Stay the fuck out of Nova Scotia unless you like the idea of being taxed to death. I've always wanted to move to BC, but the idea of going where there's no family is kind of shitty.

Oh, and work in the Atlantic side...? Call Centres. so if your the sort who won't shut the fuck up on the phone, Call Centres man. We got them.

Did I mention we border the US? You have a damn ocean between you, so none of the media and culture infect your airways. Seriously, I've seen so many damn commercials for cheap get-rich-quick collages and lawyers I'm afraid I'll turn into one of them.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
thaluikhain said:
I generally advise people not to take advice from net randoms.
i'm going to look into the places more than just going by what people are saying, this is just for initial suggestions.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
CrashBang said:

Nonono, don't move to Toronto. It has the worst traffic ever. Move to one of the cities outside of Toronto, liked Guelph, Hamilton or Kitchener. Its about an hour and half drive to the downtown area of Toronto, but the daily commutes are nowhere near as bad as if you lived in the city.
See, I wanna move away from the UK/to Canada so bad, even the traffic seems like bliss.
I know the grass is always greener but, sigh, Canada, what a haven.

silent299

Mar 29, 2011
It's pretty much what you would expect. Big cities are like big cities; with lots of people and lots of traffic and lots of stuff to do. Rural areas exist in every province, and most are pretty comparable. Since you're from the UK I'm guessing that you're used to living near the coast, so I would recommend either British Columbia, or one of the maritime provinces. British Columbia has a bigger population with more large cities, whereas the maritime provinces such as Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island have more a small town feel. Also, as a basic rule of thumb, the further West you go, the more expensive the cost of living becomes.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Come to Saskatchewan.... [http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/svg/neutral-bad-poker-face.svg]

More seriously Saskatchewan ain't all that bad but Alberta and BC are nice too. Never been out East for any length of time so I can't speak to how awesome it is.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
usmarine4160 said:
Just stay away from Quebec, they're like french stereotypes that are twice as snobbish

I lived in New Brunswick before being awesome and moving to the USA ;)
I went to Quebec a couple of time.

Worst. Drivers. Ever.
They're all over the fucking place!

*ahem*

Anyways: Yeah, Ontario's a pretty nice province, but for most of my life, I lived in Victora, British Columbia.
It's also a nice place.

Yeah, I'm not going to tell you to live here or there, but both places are nice.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I've heard that there have been a lot of gang shit and stuff like that in Toronto recently.
I'm not sure if it's true, but if you move there, be careful.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
You could come live in Vancouver, B.C.; a moderate climate (although, the rain can certainly get annoying), gorgeous natural scenery, a wide array of recreational activities, vibrant cultural diversity...yeah, Vancouver is a good place to live.

However, take note - this is an expensive place to live, so be prepared for that if you ever decide to come here.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
SonicKoala said:
However, take note - this is an expensive place to live, so be prepared for that if you ever decide to come here.
Holy crap is it ever. University was very expensive last year.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Vancouver is a beautiful place to live and one of the most gorgeous cities in the world (assuming you have a high tolerance for seasonal rain). One of the few cities where you can water ski on a sunny beach and snow ski on a snowy mountain in the same afternoon. We have one of the largest and most celebrated urban parks in the world in Stanley Park. It's a young, west coast city, but as it gets larger and older it's becoming more cosmopolitan (although Toronto is much closer to the "Big City" experience). It frequently ranks in the top three of the most livable cities in the world.

On the downside, Vancouver is a very popular place to live, and cost of living and housing prices are through the roof. We have a significant homeless population/problem. And there's the aforementioned rain (winter in Vancouver can be...depressing). We also like to riot after losing in the Stanley Cup Final.