Canadian Gears 2 Fans Get A Crash Course In French

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Malygris said:
It's not correct to say that English Canadians "hate" French Canadians. What really exists is a weariness with the endless posturing about culture and language rights, demands for special recognition and rights above and beyond those of other provinces, rampant political favouritism and other aspects of a weak federal system that have exacerbated the divide between Quebec and the ROC. ("ROC," for those who don't live here, is a commonly-accepted short form for "rest of Canada.")
this is definitely another topic on it's own but i'll say that a lot of Canada has a severe dislike for quebec and what they try to force onto us and yet don't return the favour

The trouble is that even though we continue to insist that "my Canada includes Quebec," it really doesn't. Even now, Quebec functions very much like an independent nation, and the current government seems determined to hand over increasing levels of autonomy with each passing year. The grassroots frustration with the political process comes largely from the fact that "we" keep making Herculean efforts to keep Quebec happy and part of Confederation, while at the same time doing more and more, in a practical sense, to keep them separate.
yeah those language laws and language cops are a great thing in quebec, they'd be illegal in the rest of canada

To the topic at hand... not sure how this happened. The only sensible explanation I can see is that this was a Quebec-specific shipment that somehow found its way to the ROC. Otherwise, it's mind-boggling. Even the most cursory knowledge of Canada would tell you that it's a predominantly english-speaking nation. French has to be supported, and I have no problem with that, but it needs to either be region-specific (ie., French in Quebec, English everywhere else) or both sides of the coin have to be given equal treatment. The Oblivion collector's edition, for instance, came with full, identical versions of both the English and French documentation, and nobody had any problem with that. (Although a lot of paper was wasted on French manuals that went straight into the shitcan.)
yeah most of my games either have a french manual outside the case and sometimes included on the inside, depends really on the game and platform it's for

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
So why won't you let Quebec succeed? A tiny tiny country would be amusing.
I want them to suceed, then we can send our military in and take them over!

Eminate

Sep 7, 2007
I submit that we should deport all the french and give Quebec to the natives. There you go you buncha whiners, no more handouts, that is more square footage than you lazy drunks' predecessors occupied back before treatytime.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have just read Blood Meridian right before hitting the forums.

Techni

Oct 6, 2005
I have a severe dislike for the french vandalizing our game/movie boxes. I've gone out of my way sometimes to import the american/better versions for decent artwork

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Bluntknife said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Wow, station half the military in Alaska, the air force in Greenland, then the rest in quebec (and the US), and Canada will have nowhere to retreat...

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Bluntknife said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Wow, station half the military in Alaska, the air force in Greenland, then the rest in quebec (and the US), and Canada will have nowhere to retreat...
I will stay and fight!

I have a paintball gun, I'll bunker some fools.