Canadian Military Goes Game Shopping

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canadian Military Goes Game Shopping

The Tiger Woods 2011 [http://www.forces.ca/].

The military's gaming splurge appears in a government tender which is up for competition until December 2. The games are to be sent to the Longue-Pointe Garrison in Montreal, a supply depot for the military in Eastern Canada, "as soon as possible."

Topping the Forces' hit list is Gears of War, with 93 copies on order, followed by the Modern Warfare games, with 82 copies ordered across both titles. The military also wants 32 copies of Ghost Recon [http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Hero-III-Legends-Rock-Xbox/dp/B000TGDHW8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1290182839&sr=8-5]. Most of the games are for the Xbox 360, although the PC version of Gears and the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed 2 are also included.

One game that didn't make the list was EA's Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Xbox-360/dp/B000TI836G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290183010&sr=8-1]. Minister of Defense Peter MacKay joined the chorus of outrage against the game in September, saying, "I find it wrong to have anyone, children in particular, playing the role of the Taliban. I'm sure most Canadians are uncomfortable and angry about this."

Forces Spokeswoman Capt. Sandra Bourne called the order "a strange one" and said she didn't know how much the games would cost or why the military would want them in the first place.

Source: thestar.com [http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/892794--gears-of-war-call-of-duty-on-canadian-forces-hit-list]

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
A lot of soldiers game when over seas, it only makes sense to give them some outlit.

I endorse this. :D

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I just hope they remembered to ask for guitars to go with those Guitar Hero games.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Senarrius said:
A lot of soldiers game when over seas, it only makes sense to give them some outlit.

I endorse this. :D
Exactly, if they want games for standing between me and bullets, I say give them as many games as they want!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"I find it wrong to have anyone, children in particular, playing the role of the Taliban. I'm sure most Canadians are uncomfortable and angry about this."
I think clearly he doesn't understand people. XD

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Wait a minute.

Gears of War is on the PC?

Yeah dude, or Emu, only the first one but, but you get to fight the Brumak which you didn't in the Xbox version.

also, hehe spongebob!

Delusibeta said:
Flying-Emu said:
Wait a minute.

Gears of War is on the PC?
But only the first one. Ditto Halo and Halo 2, but I understand Halo 2 was a crap port.
I had to buy 3 copies of Halo on the PC, it was a very very good port.

Halo 2, even on a bleeding edge PC, was fucking dire, frame rate dropped without authentication and it got worse after the first level.

There are multiple reasons why I don't play PC games anymore, Halo 2 with GFWL on PC is one of them.

Habakkuk

Nov 19, 2010
I reckon one officer was told to find out how to improve moral in the army so he went round and asked everyone what they whanted and they all said, "computer games."

Kair

Sep 14, 2008
So children can play US marines burning the flesh off Vietnamese farmers, but not the Taliban raiding military convoys? That is outright hypocrisy, trumpeting one evil over another.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Forces Spokeswoman Capt. Sandra Bourne called the order "a strange one" and said she didn't know how much the games would cost or why the military would want them in the first place.
...Really?

oh geez, why would military people want video games? can't imagine what they would do with it.

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
My guess is Canadian intelligence definitely has some information not yet available to general public.

I'll go attach a hacksaw to my BB gun meanwhile.

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
My guess is Canadian intelligence definitely has some information not yet available to general public.

I'll go attach a hacksaw to my BB gun meanwhile.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I found the rep's confusion over what the military might want with videogames pretty amusing myself. It's not like we've got a few thousand guys aged 18-45 who've been eating shit in Afghanistan for the past few years or anything.

o wait

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
[HEADING=1]MORAL[/HEADING]

That's the reason, moral wins wars.

For example, in Vietnam, the only manufacturers who could produce the plastic parts necessary for the M16 on time was MATTEL, so the butt of every rifle had the Mattel logo on it, a huge blow to moral.

In WW2, the British troops carried their E-tools in two pieces, the handle on their back, the shovel sat in a pouch on their groin, which gave a huge boost to moral.