Canadian Videogame Sales Take a Dive

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canadian Videogame Sales Take a Dive

The Canadian videogame industry has been hit with its first quarterly drop in sales in seven years, but analysts say the slide can't be blamed entirely on the recession.

The Gamasutra [http://www.npd.com/] noted, the bulk of the decrease resulted from slowing hardware sales: Home console sales were down 14.5 percent while handhelds slipped by an even more dramatic 21 percent, compared to a 7.5 percent drop in home console game sales and only a 1.5 percent reduction in handheld software.

Surprisingly, the NPD says the most obvious cause of the downturn - the recession - isn't at fault here. "It may be tempting to attribute the decline in sales to the current state of the economy," said analyst Matthew Tattle. "However, on closer inspection, the first quarter of 2009 lacked the number of blockbuster titles that drove sales during the same period last year." Among those titles, he said, were Super Smash Bros. Brawl [http://www.guitarherogame.com/gh3/].

Tattle's analysis matches that of PlayStation 3 [http://www.wedbushinc.com/].

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I think they've discovered that not one decent game has been released this year for the PS3/Xbox/Wii. That could be argued but I'll stand by my thoughts.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
I hate Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I would reverse-buy it to bork the sales figures if that was even a real thing.

On the hardware side of things, we've already done our patriotic duty and bought all the consoles we need. A decline in hardware sales this far into the console generation seemed sorta inevitable, didn't it?

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Come on canadians, use that money that would normally go into health care and help out your gaming industry.
That money just ends up going to our high taxes, which then gives us healthcare. Lousy paradox.
So there is a catch! I knew it was too good to be true for you guys.
Pretty much, and the waiting lines in hospitals are always massive, always. Just don't tell the other Americans, we like to pretend we have a good thing going.
Well...you guys still have Nickelback and Rush.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Griever18 said:
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Come on canadians, use that money that would normally go into health care and help out your gaming industry.
That money just ends up going to our high taxes, which then gives us healthcare. Lousy paradox.
Pretty much, and the waiting lines in hospitals are always massive, always. Just don't tell the other Americans, we like to pretend we have a good thing going.
We stand by the second one. It's illegal to rid the world of the first... for now.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
Griever18 said:
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
I like to pretend Nickelback doesn't come from Canada. They just spawned along with Celine Dion and Pamela Anderson in a lab of unknown whereabouts, then released onto the world to annoy the masses.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
don't worry, buddy. there's nothing to worry aboot, the economa will pick up, guy, then all will be okay, eh.
i watch a lot of south park

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Wouldukindly said:
xmetatr0nx said:
We'll be burdened with that system soon enough I'm sure.