Canadians get a 3DS for $99

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
Hey The Source has a promotion (at least here in Newfoundland) on where you can trade in your DS, DS Lite or DSI and get a 3DS for $99 or a 3DS XL for $129. That being said I wanted some recommendations on some titles to get I picked up Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon... Thanks!

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Kazam24a said:
Hey The Source has a promotion (at least here in Newfoundland) on where you can trade in your DS, DS Lite or DSI and get a 3DS for $99 or a 3DS XL for $129. That being said I wanted some recommendations on some titles to get I picked up Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon... Thanks!
Depends on what kind of games you are into. If you like SRPGs or RPGs in general Fire Emblem is a really good choice, while the best racing game to date single or multiplayer is STILL Mario Kart (The distant second is probably Wipeout 2048). If you haven't played Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I'd pick that one up, too, as it's probably the second or third best Zelda game out there. Star Fox and Kid Icarus are probably the more Niche Nintendo first party titles on the 3ds, and while I can attest for Star Fox 64 being a good game, I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much now as I did back in the Nintendo 64 days.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Since Animal Crossing just came out if your into Sims I would pick it up.

Also DKC Returns has a port for the 3DS so if you didn't get it for the Wii, you can grab it now.

Also if your into Pokemon X and Y is coming up.

And Rayman Legends is on it's way.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a good one. Everything's been remastered, graphically and several gameplay tweaks have made it that much more fun to play. Although playing the ocarina sucks for me because of the way they changed up which buttons play which notes.

Theatrythmn Final Fantasy is an awesome action rhythm game that, so far, has gotten many many hours out of me. It's addicting as all get out.

Many people would recommend Fire Emblem: Awakening. I can't get into SRPGs, personally, so I haven't bothered with it.

Definitely get Tales of the Abyss if you're into JRPGs. It's an exact port of the PS2 version, but damn is it still great.

If you're into older games, I'd definitely recommend going onto the Nintendo eShop and checking out their Virtual Console library. Megaman 1-5, Metroid II, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX/Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Mario Picross. They even made a Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary, which is exactly the same as Four Swords, but can be played alone.

All kinds of amazing games, not including their eShop only titles that aren't VC, like SpeedX 3D Hyper Edition and Zenonia. All great games.

Not to mention the entire DS library at your disposal:

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice Ace Attorney
Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney: Investigations
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
(this title is actually 3DS and not yet released)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Megaman Zero Collection

So many more. Definitely do not neglect to check out the DS library as well.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Assuming you had an older model DS to trade in... Did you get any Etrian Odyssey series?

If not, then boy do I have a gem for you! It's an old-school, dungeon-crawling, graph-paper mapping, rogue-like classic.
There's a demo for Etrian Odyssey 4 on the 3DS shop, so you can try it out and see if you like it.

EO4 (3DS) is the newest entry into the series. Though, if you can find EO2 and EO3 (DS), they're definitely worth picking up as well. Also, EO1 is being remastered and re-released as Millennium Girl in Japan this month, but there's no word yet about it being imported stateside yet.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Another Newfoundlander on The Escapist? I never would have thought.

Anyway OT it's a sweet deal. If only I didn't already have 3DS XL...

My recommendations: Fire Emblem, Cave Story 3D, Animal Crossing is an absolute must-buy (for me at least), Super Mario 3D Land (although it is pretty short. It's the only Mario game to date I've ever 100% finished), Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Resident Evil: Revelations (If you didn't already pick up the console rerelease), The Adventure Time game looks good, I have only played the demo, but it's pretty much a Zelda II clone, and that's something. I haven't played Monster Hunter 3 yet but it looks great.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I can confirm that , it's also 99$ in quebec . For the 4 escapists ( including myself ) that lives here . I'll definately pick it up !.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Seriously? Hell, I need to check into that then.

... Apparently so in Manitoba, as well.

I think I'm getting me a 3DS XL, then.

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
Yes it was quite easy to take advantage of just bring the the old DS with charger show that it turns on and boom... and thanks for the suggestions, i will certainly look at some of these titles (leaning towards fire emblem and animal crossing)

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
sethisjimmy said:
Another Newfoundlander on The Escapist? I never would have thought.

Anyway OT it's a sweet deal. If only I didn't already have 3DS XL...

My recommendations: Fire Emblem, Cave Story 3D, Animal Crossing is an absolute must-buy (for me at least), Super Mario 3D Land (although it is pretty short. It's the only Mario game to date I've ever 100% finished), Harvest Moon: A New Beginning, Resident Evil: Revelations (If you didn't already pick up the console rerelease), The Adventure Time game looks good, I have only played the demo, but it's pretty much a Zelda II clone, and that's something. I haven't played Monster Hunter 3 yet but it looks great.
Hows she gettin on by' sure u no we be every were sure.... bayman living in town now though!

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
Just called every store on the west side of the GTA. Most of them were out of stock or only had pink 3DS XLs. Joy. :/

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll keep pestering them.

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
Balvale said:
Just called every store on the west side of the GTA. Most of them were out of stock or only had pink 3DS XLs. Joy. :/

Thanks for the heads up though. I'll keep pestering them.
That was the only XL they had in stock in the store i went to so i went with the regular one... good enough for me

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Kazam24a said:
Holy shit source? is this just a local thing or could I get the same deal here in Nova Scotia, I'd drop 100 for a 3ds in a heartbeat

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
There were replies from Quebec Ontario and Manitoba all stating it was there so I don't see why Nova Scotia would be left out

Kazam24a

Oct 17, 2011
Orange12345 said:
Kazam24a said:
Holy shit source? is this just a local thing or could I get the same deal here in Nova Scotia, I'd drop 100 for a 3ds in a heartbeat
There were replies from Ont, Qub and Man I don't see Nova Scotia being different

Fidchell Attano

Feb 28, 2013
1. Kid Icarus : Uprising

2. Fire Emblem: Awakening

3. Resident Evil: Revalations

4. Animal Crossing: New Leaf

5. Project X Zone

In THAT order.