"Canon Endings"

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
So... I just completed Saints Row: The Third, and for those of you that don't know, it has two endings. And when I was completing the second ending co-op with my friend just for fun, he mentioned all the theory crafting on how one of the endings is suspected to be the actual canon ending and it got me thinking.

Now... I've never actually played these games, or if I have in the one exception I can think of, I've haven't beaten it yet, but with games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Infamous, Fable, and others games like it, that have multiple endings, but then when sequels come out, one of the two endings becomes "canon" and the other is just there because you can't have the game start from two different points.

Now the question I propose is... why have two endings at all? What's the point of having a second ending if you're just going to wipe one of them away for the sake of the following games?

I was very disappointed with the ending that my friend says will be the "canon" endings. So much so I'm not sure about playing SR4 when it comes out. (Actually, I was disappointed with both endings... but... for different reasons.)

How many of you also feel that the multiple endings are pointless in this manner?

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
Draconalis said:
Now... I've never actually played these games, or if I have in the one exception I can think of, I've haven't beaten it yet, but with games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, Infamous, Fable, and others games like it, that have multiple endings, but then when sequels come out, one of the two endings becomes "canon" and the other is just there because you can't have the game start from two different points.

Now the question I propose is... why have two endings at all? What's the point of having a second ending if you're just going to wipe one of them away for the sake of the following games?
I can't speak for BioShock, Infamous or Fable, as I haven't played them, but in the case of Mass Effect, that's incorrect. Whichever ending you choose will carry over to the next game.

And if not? Well, alternate endings are fun. Didn't Silent Hill have a UFO ending or something?

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Who plays SR for the story?...
Having 2 endings is meant to give false feeling of choice to the player. By the time the other game comes out, they stop caring and since there are again 2 choices every time, they just keep playing.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Warp of the West! Miracle of Peace! *flees from topic*

And no, I'm not giving context to that. :p

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
The obvious reason for the muiltple endings is to add reaplablity to games so that thell want to start a new game right away instead of putting it on the shrelf. I do know that star wars the force unleashed took advantge of both it's endings. The canon ending obviiusly got the squel but the non canon ending got expanded with the sith special edtion re relase.