Cant decide whether to get final fantasy xiv or not

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
It looks really good and I really want it! but.. I dnt typically get into mmos. The last one I gave a real shot was guild wars 2 and it lasted a month and was ok. I dont know why but its hard for me. maybe its the time investment. But this looks really good and less classical fantasy than say guild wars was.(nords in that were kinda boring) Also I love that final fantasy feel that it has. so escapists what do you think? Could this be my first mmo or should I not bother?

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
You should get into it but be warned: the game is full of AFK'ers that take up the servers and are currently making the game unplayable (unless you can manage to play on the JP servers). Also there is a subscription fee.

But if you can get around that.

It does have an older style FF kind of feel to the setting (it's probably set around the 3rd game or atleast in that era) with some new twists. The combat is fairly generic (Guild wars 2 mixed with WOW), the graphics are pretty good for an MMO of it's size but it lacks potential in a lot of simple areas like how they could've added more voice acting instead of walls of text.

All in all it makes a good first MMORPG to play so I'd say give it a shot, in NA it's only $35-$39.99 in stores and comes with a free 30 day subscription; so if after that time you don't like it, no hard feelings in a sense.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
That Annoying Guy said:
You should get into it but be warned: the game is full of AFK'ers that take up the servers and are currently making the game unplayable (unless you can manage to play on the JP servers). Also there is a subscription fee.

But if you can get around that.

It does have an older style FF kind of feel to the setting (it's probably set around the 3rd game or atleast in that era) with some new twists. The combat is fairly generic (Guild wars 2 mixed with WOW), the graphics are pretty good for an MMO of it's size but it lacks potential in a lot of simple areas like how they could've added more voice acting instead of walls of text.

All in all it makes a good first MMORPG to play so I'd say give it a shot, in NA it's only $35-$39.99 in stores and comes with a free 30 day subscription; so if after that time you don't like it, no hard feelings in a sense.
how long do you think it will take to get into it? like what level?

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
I suggest you give it the month free trial, if you don't like it after that don't play it. The servers have lightened up a little, but I would suggest you play on the EU servers, they seem to have a friendlier play-base; and a majority of them speak english, some dutch. So it's not like you'd be the only english speaking person on.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
ADDITIONAL: more or less, from levels 1-14 you'd be doing a lot of running around missions, they don't give you any actual dungeons until lvl. 15. It's also hard to suggest a lvl since the game allows you to lvl. classes to 50; but you can lvl. up multiple classes and even play as mixed class like a Dragoon (lvl 30 Lancer and lvl 15 marauder), Paladin (lvl 30 Gladiator and lvl 15 conjuror), and Warrior (lvl 30 Marauder and lvl 15 Gladiator).

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
That Annoying Guy said:
You should get into it but be warned: the game is full of AFK'ers that take up the servers and are currently making the game unplayable (unless you can manage to play on the JP servers).
? Can you elaborate a bit are people really just logging on and then leaving their character standing around doing nothing? why would they do that does the game reward you for time spent in the world regardless of action?

I am also interested in the game but I dont think my PC would handle it (although I may upgrade soon as this one makes funny noises now). Do you know how the game handles on PS3?

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
I would say it would be a nice mmo to start off on. Leveling isn't so bad since if you follow the story line with the quests in the area you'll level rather quickly. Once you hit level 10 you can change between jobs and try out other ones and even try crafting.
You can actually do a lot of leveling as a solo player or if you like you can do the dungeons and grind in fate parties with other players. The layout is very simple and the battles are fairly easy to get the hang of. Most monsters that do strong attacks will leave a red shape on the ground as long a you move out of that red shape you doge that strong attack.

Trying to get into the servers is a lot easier then it was before with the expansion on the server cap and adding new worlds. The longest que I had to wait in now was 145, before the world would cap with no que. They are also putting in an afk timer so they long out the afkers that stay on for days. They're also going to give you your own home, there's a barer shop coming and a lot of other interesting things to look into.

The subscription isn't bad because they give you choices between how much to pay, where you can pay from 12.99 and up depending on how dedicated you are going to be towards the game. If you have more questions feel free to ask I've been playing since phase 3 and would gladly answer any other questions.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
Maximum Bert said:
That Annoying Guy said:
You should get into it but be warned: the game is full of AFK'ers that take up the servers and are currently making the game unplayable (unless you can manage to play on the JP servers).
? Can you elaborate a bit are people really just logging on and then leaving their character standing around doing nothing? why would they do that does the game reward you for time spent in the world regardless of action?

I am also interested in the game but I dont think my PC would handle it (although I may upgrade soon as this one makes funny noises now). Do you know how the game handles on PS3?
Way back before the recent patch they cut the amount of people they let into the serves because there were so many people trying to play. So people didn't want to fight for a spot so they would afk while they went to sleep, work or did something else. Which locked out a lot of players. Now they are slowly lifting it and actually got more servers for the game and opened new worlds. So now before there was no que to wait to get into the world because it was always capped. I see the que now and the longest I waited was about 3 mins in a que of 145 people.

Try this for your PC: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/index.html The benchmark will run a small sample of the game, from fighting bosses, traveling the world, and cut scenes. At the end it will give you a score and tell you if you can run it.

I play on the PS3 and it runs fine. Sure it looks better on the computer but the button layout on the controller is wonderful and simple. where you control your characters actions threw hotbars. R1 to cycle threw the hotbars and use the L2 and R2 to pull up each side for the buttons using the d-pad and circle, triangle, square, and x to use your moves or pop heath potions. It takes maybe 30 mins tops to get use to it and then it because second nature.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
any idea when they will turn digital downloads back on?(steam would be nice too but Im not getting my hopes up)

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Jinxzy said:
Maximum Bert said:
That Annoying Guy said:

Way back before the recent patch they cut the amount of people they let into the serves because there were so many people trying to play. So people didn't want to fight for a spot so they would afk while they went to sleep, work or did something else. Which locked out a lot of players. Now they are slowly lifting it and actually got more servers for the game and opened new worlds. So now before there was no que to wait to get into the world because it was always capped. I see the que now and the longest I waited was about 3 mins in a que of 145 people.

Try this for your PC: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/index.html The benchmark will run a small sample of the game, from fighting bosses, traveling the world, and cut scenes. At the end it will give you a score and tell you if you can run it.

I play on the PS3 and it runs fine. Sure it looks better on the computer but the button layout on the controller is wonderful and simple. where you control your characters actions threw hotbars. R1 to cycle threw the hotbars and use the L2 and R2 to pull up each side for the buttons using the d-pad and circle, triangle, square, and x to use your moves or pop heath potions. It takes maybe 30 mins tops to get use to it and then it because second nature.
Holy crap that sounds annoying I would have thought a forced disconnection could have been implemented after say 30 minutes of inactivity but glad the problem seems to be rectified anyway.

Cheers for the link although I literally found it a few hours earlier so am trying it now. The last MMO I tried was Warhammer Online but I hated the higher level stuff especially the PVP which went from amazingly good fun at lower levels to slowly more and more annoying as pretty much everyone entered in clans and if you didnt you got whooped.

I was interested in FFXIV last time but then stuff happened as I am sure everyone is aware. Good to hear its good on PS3 which increases the chance I will try it. Really the main thing from keeping me out now is the lack of time I have to invest.

EDIT: Benchmark complete and its the very tip top of can run the game smoothly with default settings so thats pretty sweet it would be nice to be able to run it higher but I am happy with default. Back in the day my laptop struggled to run WOW at lowest settings (actually it was below the lowest reccomended settings). The character creation looks nice as well I am not sure how this compares to the PS3 version though does anyone know at what point roughly does the PC spec outshine the PS3 version? I hear its coming out for PS4 as well so I expect that will be near the max settings of the PC version (unless its a bad port).

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
EDIT: Benchmark complete and its the very tip top of can run the game smoothly with default settings so thats pretty sweet it would be nice to be able to run it higher but I am happy with default. Back in the day my laptop struggled to run WOW at lowest settings (actually it was below the lowest reccomended settings). The character creation looks nice as well I am not sure how this compares to the PS3 version though does anyone know at what point roughly does the PC spec outshine the PS3 version? I hear its coming out for PS4 as well so I expect that will be near the max settings of the PC version (unless its a bad port).
Basic framerate, also the PC version can run natively at higher resolutions like 1920 by 1080, whereas PS3 is upscaled. Textures are better, more particles, grass, view distance, etc. FATEs can dip the framerates down a bit. It's quite playable on PS3, no worries there. But the PS4 version would be the one to get, if you're not continuing on PC. Overall it's a pretty game on almost any setting. Personally, graphics aren't a priority to me, but I do like to run my games at least 50 or 60 fps.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Cheers for the help all I will have to get the PS4 version (some time in the future as I am not buying one of the initial batches again) or most likely the PC version (cheaper and I have a PC).

The PS3 version looks ok but I need 12GB of space apparently and I have about 6GB left because I deleted all my old saves and unused games to free up some memory (360 died again so dont bother with that anymore).

At the moment it seems to be sold out everywhere so I will be waiting for a little while anyway but if that means fewer problems when I do get it thats fine by me.

Found it for 16 pounds on PC at Game (online) which is surprising as usually they are the most expensive so I will likely get it there as 16 pounds isnt bad even if I only play a month and decide I dont like it or dont have time.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
Maximum Bert said:
That Annoying Guy said:

Yeah, that's pretty much the jyst of it. Because people didn't/don't want to leave the game they would leave it running, though I believe they've now fixed that issue for the most part. Some Free Company members of mine were having a chat about the afk/kick times and apparently it's now 30mins or get kicked. Now unfortunately I have no idea how it would run on a ps3; but I don't think you can buy a pc copy anymore since Square Enix is pulling a stint were they are refusing to export pc copies or something like that.

EDIT: by the way, your pic is hilarious!