Can't Relate to Past Interest(s)

Chased

New member
Sep 17, 2010
830
0
0
For the longest time I was heavily into metal. Started out with Sabbath and then got into extreme stuff like Death, Suffocation, and Gojira. As of late, I find I can't connect with it anymore. I have no idea why, I've collected metal albums over the years and even have an ESP guitar specifically designed for playing said genre of music. I still think that metal is fine genre but I just can't relate to it.

Any Escapists used to have interests that they can't relate to anymore, maybe a genre of music or even a person you no longer can connect with?
 

Jonluw

New member
May 23, 2010
7,245
0
0
Who can?
Everyone has some past interest they can't understand, no?
I mean if you still felt connected to them, they wouldn't be past interests, would they?

I used to be really interested in Duck comics, and while they still have a special place in my heart, at some point I just couldn't keep collecting them.
 

Chased

New member
Sep 17, 2010
830
0
0
Jonluw said:
Who can?
I mean if you still felt connected to them, they wouldn't be past interests, would they?

I used to be really interested in Duck comics, and while they still have a special place in my heart, at some point I just couldn't keep collecting them.
I was super into metal for years and now I suddenly can't relate to it. I literally woke up one day and felt different.
 

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
2,821
0
0
I lost contact with a friend because he started smoking weed and hang out with the other stoners, so thats 1 person I can't relate to.

Plenty of other things really, things I've grown out of, got bored of (GOLF O.O) and things that no longer interest me (MMORPGS, not found a single one I can properly get into).
 

Jonluw

New member
May 23, 2010
7,245
0
0
Chased said:
Jonluw said:
Who can?
I mean if you still felt connected to them, they wouldn't be past interests, would they?

I used to be really interested in Duck comics, and while they still have a special place in my heart, at some point I just couldn't keep collecting them.
I was super into metal for years and now I suddenly can't relate to it. I literally woke up one day and felt different.
*shrug*
Did you happen to hit your head?
Lightning strike?
 

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
8,665
0
0
Well, I suppose it's normal to develop a different taste over time. And that time could be of varying lengths. Sometimes we could be continuing an action over and over again like some kind of automatons even though we didn't really feel the initial attraction to it. But just because we felt something before we decided we should continue.

I had a similar thing with Linkin Park. For the record I switched several tastes in music over the years but there was mostly an underlying theme. Linkin Park was in there and it did fit in. I loved every second of of their songs when I first heard them and I could go for days and weeks without having any other songs on my playlist (also, I would listen to roughly 8 to 12 hours of music a day. It's mostly a background music to everything I do). I did notice at some point that all their songs sounded the same to me. Unless I heard the lyrics it was almost impossible to know which song was I listening to, heck, even which album. But I continued listening to LP just because I once liked them and I deluded myself that it would be the same forever. And then I listened to some other music and completely forgot about LP. Just like that. It took me less than a week, probably in the order of 2-4 days to completely stop listening to Linkin Park forever.
 

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
4,267
0
0
I use to be really into Pokemon. More specifically, the games. Even more specifically, Pearl Version.

I knew all the pokemon names, moves, whether a move was super of not very effective on a certain type, etc.

Now I can't name a single pokemon that is in the 5th generation. Except for Reshiram, and I don't even know if it's the black or white one.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,806
2,137
118
I used to like Marilyn Manson and Tim Burton movies, then I grew up.
 

HardkorSB

New member
Mar 18, 2010
1,477
0
0
Chased said:
For the longest time I was heavily into metal. Started out with Sabbath and then got into extreme stuff like Death, Suffocation, and Gojira. As of late, I find I can't connect with it anymore. I have no idea why, I've collected metal albums over the years and even have an ESP guitar specifically designed for playing said genre of music. I still think that metal is fine genre but I just can't relate to it.

Any Escapists used to have interests that they can't relate to anymore, maybe a genre of music or even a person you no longer can connect with?
You're just bored of listening to 1 genre all the time. Leave metal alone for a few weeks/months and try a new genre - funk, soul, jazz, blues, rap, orchestral, electronic, dance... there are plenty to choose from. Give everything a chance, you never know what might get your attention.
I change the music I listen to constantly. If I stuck to 1 genre, I would stop listening to music in general at some point.

Also, people change over time. So do their likes and dislikes.
 

Chased

New member
Sep 17, 2010
830
0
0
bahumat42 said:
I think growing out of metal (or listening to less in any case) is something that happens to a lot of people as they grow up.

Its got more to do with it accessing the raw emotions that people have during those years, that without them its less relatable. Thats my take on it anyway. Thats not to say i can't rock out from time to time, but i can't live in that (quite angry) place anymore.

(please note angry =/= bad, im not dissing the genre, or anything of the sort)
This is probably it, I don't think I'm as angry as used to be. Another part of it is that a lot of artists that I listened to frequently are moving away from metal, like Opeth and Cynic.

HardkorSB said:
Chased said:
For the longest time I was heavily into metal. Started out with Sabbath and then got into extreme stuff like Death, Suffocation, and Gojira. As of late, I find I can't connect with it anymore. I have no idea why, I've collected metal albums over the years and even have an ESP guitar specifically designed for playing said genre of music. I still think that metal is fine genre but I just can't relate to it.

Any Escapists used to have interests that they can't relate to anymore, maybe a genre of music or even a person you no longer can connect with?
You're just bored of listening to 1 genre all the time. Leave metal alone for a few weeks/months and try a new genre - funk, soul, jazz, blues, rap, orchestral, electronic, dance... there are plenty to choose from. Give everything a chance, you never know what might get your attention.
I change the music I listen to constantly. If I stuck to 1 genre, I would stop listening to music in general at some point.

Also, people change over time. So do their likes and dislikes.
Woah, got ninja'd by another valid point. I think I'll go on a metal hiatus for a few months and then go back to it later. Now I need to go music hunting and possibly clothes shopping (everything I wear is either black or gray).

Thanks Escapists!
 

Total LOLige

New member
Jul 17, 2009
2,123
0
0
Go listen to a different music genre and don't listen to metal for a least a month, then come back to metal and it will blow you away once again. I did this with my Kasabian albums, and when I came back to listen again I remembered why they were my favorite band. For the record I don't like metal.

OT: I used to do animations now I just can't be arsed.
 

Chased

New member
Sep 17, 2010
830
0
0
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Go listen to a different music genre and don't listen to metal for a least a month, then come back to metal and it will blow you away once again. I did this with my Kasabian albums, and when I came back to listen again I remembered why they were my favorite band. For the record I don't like metal.

OT: I used to do animations now I just can't be arsed.
Solid idea. I started listening to this group called Crystal Castles today. Really sweet stuff. Also, what kind of animations? I do 3D computer-animated stuff now and again.
 

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
2,420
0
0
Chased said:
For the longest time I was heavily into metal. Started out with Sabbath and then got into extreme stuff like Death, Suffocation, and Gojira. As of late, I find I can't connect with it anymore. I have no idea why, I've collected metal albums over the years and even have an ESP guitar specifically designed for playing said genre of music. I still think that metal is fine genre but I just can't relate to it.

Any Escapists used to have interests that they can't relate to anymore, maybe a genre of music or even a person you no longer can connect with?
You have more perspective now, so it's not as easy to "relate" to the kind of subject matter the genre revolves around. It's like how a middle schooler doesn't "relate" to Barney anymore, or somesuch... we tend to grow out of things like that.
 

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
18,863
15
43
DoPo said:
ever listned to thousand suns? I actually liked it quite a bit, then again I only ever had a casual interest in linkin park

Im finding that I culled alot of music I "liked" when I was younger...I never really went through an angry emo stage, but "three days grace" just sounds to emo now, plus I didnt know where to find good music so alot of "pop" stuff I dont listen to due to how boring/formulatic it is

I wondered if perhaps I dont liek disturbed as much as I did but I think thats just me branching off into other genres (electronic) my music tates are still changing

Im going to say movies..I used to LOVE movies...but now I havnt seen one for...like 6 months mabye a year,(actually thats not true, american beaty/american psycho) its jsut the Idea of commiting to an hour or two...

oh and TV,I dont watch TV like I did when I was a kid....no love lsot there, TV sucks generally
 

dedem1315

New member
Sep 25, 2010
47
0
0
Chased said:
For the longest time I was heavily into metal. Started out with Sabbath and then got into extreme stuff like Death, Suffocation, and Gojira. As of late, I find I can't connect with it anymore. I have no idea why, I've collected metal albums over the years and even have an ESP guitar specifically designed for playing said genre of music. I still think that metal is fine genre but I just can't relate to it.

Any Escapists used to have interests that they can't relate to anymore, maybe a genre of music or even a person you no longer can connect with?
Branch out. I used to be the same, love metal, never stopped listening to it. Then I got bored so I listened to other stuff. Then I got bored of that and moved on. Now my top 3 listened songs on iTunes are by We are scientists, Pendulum and Marilyn Manson. Much better than stagnating on the one genre.
 

Total LOLige

New member
Jul 17, 2009
2,123
0
0
Chased said:
Solid idea. I started listening to this group called Crystal Castles today. Really sweet stuff. Also, what kind of animations? I do 3D computer-animated stuff now and again.
I used to do pivot animations, it's just stick men, but you can download all sorts of figures, mainly guns and video game characters. Quite easy once you get a hang of the technical stuff, but I've probably lost my touch.
 

Soviet Heavy

New member
Jan 22, 2010
12,218
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
I used to like Marilyn Manson and Tim Burton movies, then I grew up.
For Tim Burton, I'd say I like his older films just as much as when I first saw them, but it's his newer stuff that annoys me.

Except for Big Fish, that movie was great.
 

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
8,665
0
0
Vault101 said:
DoPo said:
ever listned to thousand suns? I actually liked it quite a bit, then again I only ever had a casual interest in linkin park
No, not really. I stopped listening a bit after Meteora, which, according to the calendar, would make it some time in 2004-ish or early 2005. And that is consistent with what I remember, too. I have heard some of their new songs and I do recognise them as Linkin Park (without looking at the name most of the time)...but that's it. I don't feel anything. I can't really explain it. The songs aren't bad but they don't hold my attention any more.