Can't you cut people some slack when it comes to spelling, grammar and punctuation?

afrophysics

Jul 4, 2008
I came to The Escapist Forums under the impression that it was for mature, game orientated discussion. I assume the average age of users is older than the last gaming orientated board I frequented (a PSP ISO site) and so far I've been happily right.
But one thing that really irks me about this place is the amount with which misspelling, and incorrect grammar and punctuation is called out on and derided here. Whether it be subtle things such as highlighting mistakes when quoting to when people outright ignore the post's content to mock them for their spelling. It just comes across to me as absolute snobbery; not everybody is so fully educated that they never make a mistake when typing.

I'm 16 and I still have to type in the word necessary into google to ensure that I spell it properly, and recently my friend, who is dyslexic, left here because his argument was being ignored in replys by people who preferred to call him out on his spelling. I understand that there is some correlation between good english and the intelligent conversation this site is trying to achieve, and I agree that it can't be achieved when people use IM language because the use of good english often requires people to think about what they are posting.

I'm just saying that I don't think it's necessary for people on a mature forum like this to call people out on small mistakes when it doesn't affect the meaning of the post. Obviously when it's something like "They need to do way instain mother.." which I just don't understand, then mock all you want. Thankfully I've never seen the mods here calling people out when they are not as articulate as them. Let me know what you think, do mistakes in posts bother you?
Feel free to ignore my argument and pick out the grammatical and spelling errors.

D2wontdie

Aug 6, 2008
i hate it when people make mistakes to the point when its illegible and somehow they think its acceptible but if its a common misspelling im fine with it and i just really like the word irked

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I completely agree - is it really that big a deal? When you point out every little mistake in someone's post it just makes you look like a dick.

bread golem

Aug 23, 2008
The only kind of misspells that bother me are the ones that are made with an easy word or a word that doesn't need shortening, as for grammar, I feel that grammar the dying art of speaking properly, is dying if not dead, so that I will stress upon people as much as possible.

BardSeed

Aug 4, 2008
Sometimes, as you pointed out, bad grammar and/or spelling mistakes can make a post hard, if not impossible, to read. I don't see myself as being a "snob" when I correct someones english, especially since I live in a rough estate and go to a bad school, I am just helping correct their mistakes while answering their questions.
There is no need to use Google to check spelling mistakes, assuming you are American, Firefox has a built-in spell checker. I refrained from correcting your grammatical errors in this point because, as you have made clear, it would have annoyed you.

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
Damage control. Stop the small mistakes now, they wont grow into larger ones because the person will make an effort to look over their posts before posting them. That said, I have ignored the urge to point out mistakes thus far, despite the fact that I have borderline OCD when it comes to grammar. Though if you misspell the name of anything from Greek or Norse mythology, I will hunt you down.

Maet

The Altoid Duke
Jul 31, 2008
I only call out atrocious spelling and grammar in the user review section because an opinion with a professional polish is expected to be well executed. In the more laid back forums (like the off topic discussion), it doesn't bother me as much unless it's truly obnoxious to the point where I really do think I'm chatting with ten year olds on MSN.

Come to think of it, I often don't call it out anyway because I'm not an editor who has all the answers and that would be a bit hypocritical of me.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Bling Cat post=18.69503.662030 said:
Though if you misspell the name of anything from Greek or Norse mythology, I will hunt you down.
Hey, that's a cool avatar. Is that Zoos?

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
In posts, no, I wouldn't bother pointing them out. Titles for a thread however I would.

no,no,no, it's not zoos, it's tzus!

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
I agree with you to an extent, I am also dyslexic by the way, I think I saw a mod putting [sic]'s in when quoting people to reply to their question which in my view is the epitome of smugness. the trouble with it is once you open the flood gates to poor grammar you're left completely defenceless against the leet speaks and numbers and such.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
1 to 3 typos to me are acceptable. Huge typos and grammar-related screw-ups are unforgivable.

But one thing I have absolutely no tolerance for is people who type in complete broken English, or type like 12-year-olds who can't spell for crap. "u suk" is the first yet grand example of what I mean.

afrophysics

Jul 4, 2008
D2wontdie post=18.69503.662008 said:
i hate it when people make mistakes to the point when its illegible and somehow they think its acceptible but if its a common misspelling im fine with it and i just really like the word irked
Yep exactly how I feel.
BardSeed post=18.69503.662018 said:
Sometimes, as you pointed out, bad grammar and/or spelling mistakes can make a post hard, if not impossible, to read. I don't see myself as being a "snob" when I correct someones english, especially since I live in a rough estate and go to a bad school, I am just helping correct their mistakes while answering their questions.
There is no need to use Google to check spelling mistakes, assuming you are American,Firefox has a built-in spell checker. I refrained from correcting your grammatical errors in this point because, as you have made clear, it would have annoyed you.
I'm not American, I'm British (but I don't see what that has to do with anything) and I don't use Firefox because I can't. Also I'm talking about intellectual snobbery not social snobbery. Assuming you're British you know that grammar is very rarely tought at our schools; I only learnt about comparatives and superlatives from French lessons.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
D2wontdie post=18.69503.662008 said:
WHERE'S YOUR PERIOD???!?!?!

I don't mind a spelling mistake here and there, but if there's a constant spiral of misspelled words that could easily be fixed, then it's annoying and I tend to just ignore it completely and think they cam from some other website (IGN).

joswie

Aug 23, 2008
I just love the irony that the Escapist prides itself on proper grammar when one of its most popular segments is called Zero Punctuation.

Bling Cat

Jan 13, 2008
ThaBenMan post=18.69503.662045 said:
Bling Cat post=18.69503.662030 said:
Though if you misspell the name of anything from Greek or Norse mythology, I will hunt you down.
Hey, that's a cool avatar. Is that Zoos?
the monopoly guy post=18.69503.662046 said:
In posts, no, I wouldn't bother pointing them out. Titles for a thread however I would.

no,no,no, it's not zoos, it's tzus!
GAAAAHHHH!

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
afrophysics post=18.69503.662057 said:
I'm not American, I'm British (but I don't see what that has to do with anything) and I don't use Firefox because I can't.
Why can't you? It's free and if you're here it means you have access to the Internet, so unless you're using a company/school/public computer there should be no reason to not download it.

As for the thread, I'll correct spelling and grammar only if I have something on topic to say; unless the thread has already gone way off-topic. Then I figure one more post can't hurt the chances of returning to its intended purpose.

FuzziBunni

Jun 11, 2008
I hate it too when people think that spelling is optional, but I don't call people out on it. I make mistakes too whether its I hit the wrong key or whatever, but when I have to actually sit and STUDY what is being said, there is a point of OMG take 5 more minutes in your post to look at what you are writing.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Grammar is important. I've got a lack of grammar and trying to improve. If your pissed about the Escapist decision, you can always go to another forum. Although, I don't recommend it. Unless you like "wen ppl tawk like this, woot, pawn, roxors-boxors".