Capcom Announces Feedback-Led Resident Evil 6 Patch

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Capcom Announces Feedback-Led Resident Evil 6 Patch

A patch of unlocks and camera fixes is set for mid-December.

Upon its release, QTE-ing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9950-Resident-Evil-6-Review.2] through a misty, half-locked universe that you couldn't see properly because the camera was welded to the back of Leon's head. Developer Capcom appears to have listened to these concerns and, as a response, has announced the release a patch for Resident Evil 6 this December.

According to the developer, the patch will do three things, two of which are already on-disc [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120065-Capcom-Promises-Resident-Evil-6-On-Disc-DLC-Will-be-Free]: It will unlock the previously-secret fourth story mode, led by Ada Wong, from the outset. Where before you had to complete the three other story missions before being able to play Wong's story, the patch means that players will be able to access that part of the game from day one.

Secondly, the patch will unlock the game's "No Hope" mode, which is an extra-hard difficulty setting there for players wanting a bit more of a challenge.

And thirdly, after hearing various complaints, the patch will include slight changes to camera control that should, hopefully, result in an expanded field of view during gameplay. From what these screenshots [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-resident-evil-6-new-camera-screenshots] reveal, however, the change doesn't appear to be that heavy.

It's nice to see that Capcom took player feedback on board and has attempted to address some of the players' concerns. While the biggest criticisms that most seemed to have of the game aren't going anywhere (what with the game being built on them and all), this patch could be a step in the right direction. A little step, but a free step.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-capcom-to-issue-resident-evil-6-patch-in-response-to-player-feedback]

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
Extra difficulty, good. My mate and I blazed through Professional on co-op.

Not sure why it's so urgent to alter the camera angle - it hardly seemed that different to RE4 in terms of the over-the-shoulder perspective, and with that angle you don't want half of the character in shot.

And people complained about Ada's campaign being unlockable? A tad feeble, although as campaigns go it isn't much of a reward.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
So... they're making an entirely different game?

I kid, I kid. If it's what people want then I suppose it's good of Capcom to give it to them.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.0?

why even bother having unlock-able anything, camera issue a side -.- why, exactly are they unlocking the 'secret' stuff? have gamers gotten so lazy they can be bothered to beat the game to unlock anything any more?

now, if you'll excuse me, i have to go kill a dragon 3 times for that .01% item drop

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Oirish_Martin said:

Not sure why it's so urgent to alter the camera angle - it hardly seemed that different to RE4 in terms of the over-the-shoulder perspective, and with that angle you don't want half of the character in shot.

And people complained about Ada's campaign being unlockable? A tad feeble, although as campaigns go it isn't much of a reward.
Yeah, the Ada thing confused me too...and the only time I had a problem with the camera angles was on the rare occasion that I whiffed a melee attack at the same time a zombie lunged, putting them behind me while my character was still recovering.

I don't know if you should be so excited for No Hope mode though. Here's the changelog for it:

All enemies will move at max speeds 100% of the time
Enemies that are downed recover in about 1 second
Enemies attack practically non stop until they are killed ie: basically no pause between attacks
Enemies that attack in combos/multiple times in quick succession now have longer combos/more attacks
Enemies are very, very difficult to daze with firearms
Enemies recover from dazed states insanely fast regardless of what caused the daze (melee, gunshots, flash grenades are all basically ineffectual for dazing distant enemies)
Enemies that use firearms are insanely accurate (basically never miss when shooting you)
Enemies that use firearms also shoot much more frequently and reload their guns much faster then pro mode
J'avo mutate at an insanely high frequency (most likely around 80-90% chance of a mutation)
Enemy grapple attacks are now much faster and offer very little time to dodge
Enemies now hit you more after grappling you
A special miniboss enemy encountered in the campaign now recovers from it's immobilized status very, very quickly after it's limbs are destroyed.

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
Kopikatsu said:
Yeah, the Ada thing confused me too...and the only time I had a problem with the camera angles was on the rare occasion that I whiffed a melee attack at the same time a zombie lunged, putting them behind me while my character was still recovering.
I had my camera settings as close to possible to the older Resi games (i.e, camera is locked to your aim), but the quick turn didn't spin the camera with it. I'd much prefer that they fixed that.

I don't know if you should be so excited for No Hope mode though. Here's the changelog for it:

Enemies attack practically non stop until they are killed ie: basically no pause between attacks
Enemies that attack in combos/multiple times in quick succession now have longer combos/more attacks
Enemies recover from dazed states insanely fast regardless of what caused the daze (melee, gunshots, flash grenades are all basically ineffectual for dazing distant enemies)
Enemies that use firearms are insanely accurate (basically never miss when shooting you)
Enemies that use firearms also shoot much more frequently and reload their guns much faster then pro mode
J'avo mutate at an insanely high frequency (most likely around 80-90% chance of a mutation)
A special miniboss enemy encountered in the campaign now recovers from it's immobilized status very, very quickly after it's limbs are destroyed.
-_-

Oh well, guess I'd better use the Increase Item Drop skill then :p

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I really really don't understand why people are complaining about the Ada campaign being locked. Surely you're gonna play through each campaign anyway? As for the camera thing, it's never really bothered me and chances are I won't notice any difference.

And screw what people are saying, I'm having a blast playing Resi 6. I think it's awesome ^_^

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
anthony87 said:
I really really don't understand why people are complaining about the Ada campaign being locked. Surely you're gonna play through each campaign anyway? As for the camera thing, it's never really bothered me and chances are I won't notice any difference.

And screw what people are saying, I'm having a blast playing Resi 6. I think it's awesome ^_^

Fighting Game syndrome! Everything must be unlocked from the onset and the only unlockable content should be DLC, apparently.

I miss when games used to have unlockable characters and outfits that you could just earn by playing the game...

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Oirish_Martin said:

That sounds like it would be AWESOME in a game that played at all reliably.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I would still like there to be a private-match for Agent Hunt. A bunch of my friends own the game, and it'd be great if we could all play together.

The No Mercy mode sounds great though.

anthony87 said:

Right on. I just finished all of the campaigns the other day, and I loved every single one of them. I'm having a real blast with this game!

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Wait, so now patches unlock stuff for you that you could have earned previously through play? Pardon me if I'm a little shifty about this but... it just sounds unnecessary.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Oirish_Martin said:

Yeah, the having to play the game to unlock Ada's campaign doesn't make any damn sense to me honestly. You just have to play the game, it's not like it's a DLC that's already on the disc or something.

Uh, for anyone whose played, what do you think of the game? I'm thinking of getting it sometime this month.

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
dalek sec said:
Oirish_Martin said:

Yeah, the having to play the game to unlock Ada's campaign doesn't make any damn sense to me honestly. You just have to play the game, it's not like it's a DLC that's already on the disc or something.

Uh, for anyone whose played, what do you think of the game? I'm thinking of getting it sometime this month.
I had a blast on co-op. Not sure if I'd be that wild about it on single-player only if I was a die-hard Resi fan, I've only been with the series since 4, although I do have 1,2 and 3 on my PSP to playthrough.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
dalek sec said:
Oirish_Martin said:

I really liked it, although as Martin said, I might be a bit biased because I'm an diehard RE fan.

I'll put it this way: Did you like Uncharted? If yes, then you'll like RE6.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
kajinking said:
DVS BSTrD said:
But what about artistic integrity?
LOL nice, I HATED that stupid argument being brought up again and again
Well you won't have to hear it again until DA3 comes out, because it only matters if it's a Bioware game.
Or, y'know, it's relevant to the actual discussion. These are technical changes relating purely to functionality.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
But what about artistic integrity?
If they cared in the first place wouldn't they of made a better game that wasn't "!!QTE EXPLOSION !!!!!FEST1!1! IgNOOrE tHE PR!!!evious Game!!!S!11111!!!!"