Capcom Defends Downloadable Fighters for Marvel vs. Capcom 3

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Even if its $5 for the four characters it'd be too much. Maybe a dollar per character. He's lucky that the DLC ones arent that popular.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm sorry but that is complete bullshit justification.

Whenever someone says something like this: "As I've stated in prior interviews, DLC is part of the business model these days given the massive costs of production and can be the difference between a profitable product and an unprofitable product."

Translate it to this: "We are too chickenshit to raise the price of games so we are releasing it in pieces and hoping you suck at math"

I don't even care about the game but I hate is when marketing/PR people tell you that a pile of crap is an ice cream sundae and you should eat up.

Here is an idea mr game industry guy, if games cost so much to develop why don't you, oh I don't know, SPEND LESS MAKING THEM! Stop paying for celebrity voices, stop focusing on graphics and motion capture and rendered cutscenes. Just cut out the expensive crap that doesn't affect gameplay, the stuff that marketing and executives love to show off but gamers don't care about.

Big publishers are looking to find a way to charge more for the same core product that worked JUST FINE for the last 25 years without any DLC BS.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Well, games DO cost more to make now. As gamers demand higher quality, and well.. Means if we want to keep the same pricing on games, they need to earn the money through DLCs. So I guess that's how it got to be.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
The problem is just that these publishers are unwilling to budge on the initial price of the game, while simultaneously planning for long range downloadable content. The simple fact is that any customer will come to view this content as having been withheld from the original game for the sole purpose of charing for it later.

Even knocking $10 off the box would be plenty to demonstrate that they're still respecting their customers.

The same problem is plaguing subscription-based MMOs these days. You used to pay a sub because of all the different things you could do--you were paying rent for your own corner of a virtual world. You could have a persistent house, out in the open non-instanced world, that people could visit when you were offline. You could participate full-time in any number of "non-kill-things" activities. Now? It's quests/missions/kill-things, maybe with a token, throw-away crafting system designed to provide minor materials for the quest/mission/kill-things gameplay.

MMOs used to have to give you a hell of a lot, because they had to prove that they were worth paying a subscription fee--generally unaccepted at the time. Then, as people have gotten used to the idea, the companies stopped trying. They no longer had to work as hard to prove the game was worth paying continuous rent, because the seal on that had been broken.

Same goes for DLC. People are used to it. It's "part of the business model," as these folks at Capcom have said. So they no longer really have to try to justify it in any way--either by making it bigger or reducing the price as a show of good faith in the consumer. It's simply raising the price "because we can."

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
If it's day 1 dlc that's on the disc, that they're basically restricting players from using, then that's just all wrong. If content is stored on a game disc, then it should be accessible from the standard purchase rather than paying extra.

Look out for those 108kb downloads...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Even though I don't give two shits about MvC, this is all kinds of wrong. It disgusts me that people will still buy it, and it disgusts me more that some people here are even buying their argument. I feel like I'm too smart for gaming these days if I'm not willing to pay extra for a game or expect a small amount of complexity in a game when all games are made to be as quickly digestible as possible by as many potential customers.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I have no problem with DLC when it ADDS content to a game. However, practices like charging for Yoda/Vader in Soul Calibur and Extra Costumes in Super Street Fighter IV, which is content that is already shipped in the disk, its borderline pathetic.

They are not charging for content they created later, or even hold up to give the game further relevance, they are charging us for things we already own but can't access.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Honestly, I'm fine with this. I've got my 30+ characters and Cpacom says that there are more on the way. I honestly don't care that they're holding Shuma-Gorath and Jill Valentine hostage. I'm willing to pay for them simply on the grounds that I want Capcom to get more money for making this game. This is one of those few games that I want to support as much as possible. Besides, think about this. If they have DLC characters now, that means they can make more later. Fan favorites that weren't originally included now have a shot at becoming part of the roster.

Something about Mortal Kombat too. Yeah. I like them too. They'll probably do this too. Support.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Under $20 for a pair of characters? Well, I'm sold!

In all seriousness though, they're valid points, whether I like it or not. I can see it being entertaining down the line to collect characters, if the DLC roster grows to a large number (it could be the fighting game equivalent of Rock Band!)

It is certainly a bit of a money grab considering it's a pre-release consideration, and IMO not being targeted at the right people, - this is more milking the supporters than trying to get more - but if the price isn't too high, it may be worth it in the long run.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Zeromaeus said:
Honestly, I'm fine with this. I've got my 30+ characters and Cpacom says that there are more on the way. I honestly don't care that they're holding Shuma-Gorath and Jill Valentine hostage. I'm willing to pay for them simply on the grounds that I want Capcom to get more money for making this game. This is one of those few games that I want to support as much as possible. Besides, think about this. If they have DLC characters now, that means they can make more later. Fan favorites that weren't originally included now have a shot at becoming part of the roster.

Something about Mortal Kombat too. Yeah. I like them too. They'll probably do this too. Support.
The only new guys that are coming are the one's for DLC. Sadly this game doesnt even have half the roster of the previous game. Expect these DLC to be overly expensive like 1 char for $10.

I used to be a fan of DLC but I decided its just a bunch of bollocks. All DLC is way overpriced and usually offer very little to the game. The only company that has done good on DLC is Rockstar, but then again they are almost giving us entire expansions full of content.

AcacianLeaves

Sep 28, 2009
Personally I wish some companies did a lot more in their DLC, regardless of how they choose to price it. I felt that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 was a disappointment on many levels, but if they had expanded the roster and game content with DLC they could have fixed 75% of the game's problems.

Some games I would be shocked if they didn't have DLC, and fighting games are among them. Fans will love it, those who aren't interested in an expanded roster won't by it anyway. What's the problem here, exactly?

Developers have to do whatever they can to combat the massive amounts of revenue they lose to the pawn shop system that retails their products.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
tehroc said:
Zeromaeus said:

The only new guys that are coming are the one's for DLC. Sadly this game doesnt even have half the roster of the previous game. Expect these DLC to be overly expensive like 1 char for $10.

I used to be a fan of DLC but I decided its just a bunch of bollocks. All DLC is way overpriced and usually offer very little to the game. The only company that has done good on DLC is Rockstar, but then again they are almost giving us entire expansions full of content.
Like I said, its already a good roster. Not a MvC2 roster, but a good one. Then again, they just reused most of the stuff from MvC for MvC2 with sprite-work and whatnot. This is their first 3D MvC title and as such has to be made mostly from scratch. Besides its more than their last game I bought (Street Fighter IV (not Super)).

On a different note, I've already picked out my main team. Zero, Tron Bonne and Arthur. Two glass cannons and a tank. I'll switch Arthur over to Frank West if he gets offered as DLC.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Sad to say, but I suspect that Svennson is likely correct. DLC is going nowhere, it provides a lucrative second revenue source and a type of pirate squisher all in one.

Now, when they start charging for updates, that is when I sell my 360.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
I'm going to be pissed if I have to pay extra to play as this guy

Edit: Stupid imaging. What I mean is I want Gambit, dammit.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
The Rascal King said:
I'm going to be pissed if I have to pay extra to play as this guy

I'm still waiting for them to add this guy.

Many will be pissed, but I'll still buy him.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Oh there is plenty we can do about nickel and dime DLC, I'm not talking about honest DLC mini-expansion packs, but this crap "add a hair cut" DLC. Stop buying the shit, and stop buying games from companies that pull that crap.

I'm pretty sure that would work.