Capcom Denies Anti-Used-Games Stance in New Resident Evil 3DS Game

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I could see a reason for a no data delete function if online play is a heavy feature in the game, so people wont reset stats and what not but do to Capcom's secretive behavior I believe they are just trying to cover up a bad business move.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
What a crock of bullshit, not even an effective PR spin on this. You can't simply erase the save game data and start over? WTF? I'm pretty sure the first Legend of Zelda game on the original NES was the first console game that allowed you to save to the cartridge and you could erase the fucking data and start over or start a new game and save over the existing save data or save in a new slot. Capcom couldn't put this feature in the Resident Evil Mercenaries? They couldn't add a feature to start a new game, you can't erase the old data...what a bunch of shit. If they couldn't add these features they are just incompetent. Most likely they chose not to implement any of these feature and thus are lying assholes.

Pathetic attempt Capcom, pathetic attempt.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Sounds a little suss to me too. This isn't the sort of thing you do without a reason. Seems to me it's a used game sale strategy, but even if it's not I probably won't be buying it, at least for a long time until the retail price drops.
If the EB games thing is true, well, massive backfire, and it's gonna be quite difficult for me to buy it anyway.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
OW! OW! Son of a *****, they poked my eye out with their big nose! And from Japan!

Forum_Name

Mar 23, 2011
If profits were a factor they should forthright about it. Appearing shady and evasive about their motives will only encourage people to find ways around unclear (and unnecessary?) restrictions. Why be confrontational with your customers? ..and if people start poking into their hardware over one dumb reason, it could establish a trend on their system.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
If secondhand game sales were not a factor, they would've included a Delete Data option instead of taking a route that is clearly anti-used.

If you cannot delete your saves within the menus, that means they are trying to get people to keep the games rather than sell them. Yet another reason why I refuse to support anything Capcom is currently making.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Le sigh. It seems like just yesterday that I loved Capcom. Those were the days. Now it's just one inexplicably bad decision after the other.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Man, fuck Capcom up their ass if they're gonna do this. Nowadays, the companies that are trying to prevent piracy/used game sales are doing more to hurt themselves than the people they're trying to stop. It's like a cop shooting himself in the foot with the assumption that he will run faster.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
cursedseishi said:
edit: Throwing in quote
Vooks.net claims that EB Games in Australia is refusing to sell the game because its resale value is so low and it would be impossible to return it within the store's seven-day "as new" refund policy.
Personally I say good, this shouldn't be some retail game in all honesty, its the same game mode we have played through time after time, again and again, since it first sprouted up in Resident Evil. It would of done just fine as a Downloadable title with DLC additions released every so often.

Then again, that means they'd probably sell it for $15, cut out every character but the minor ones, then sell all the big names like Wesker and Krauser and Jill for $5 each...
SHHhhh, don't give them ideas >.>'

Although, personally, I'd be all for it, a downloadable mercenaries game with little DLC and compete for achievements and high scores.
Oh wait. [http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/]

OT: Personally, I don't see it as a huge gripe, back in the days, I used to rent already finished games, mostly on the SNES and N64 (Resident Evil 2 for the N64 comes to mind), so it's not that bad. Also, the game won't force you to use the best weapons/characters right off the bat.
And beating those high scores that are already stabilished could be a nice meta game in itself.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
I would like to comment on the article and the issue that it concerns. Unfortunately the giant adds which keep slapping across my screen have prevented me from reading it.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
hang on... Surely there's only so much limited saving space on any one cartridge.

That being the case, you would have a limited number of slots in order to save to.

Logically, there should always be a "New Game" and "Load Game" option on the menu...

Therefore, couldn't we just start a new game and save over the old data if we want to start without all the unlocked features?

I know the whole point of the hubbub is that Capcom don't want people erasing saves and trying to sell it like its never been played. Fine, that's understandable, but it's not like Capcom would me making a loss if the place a player traded it in to sold it at slightly more than what it's worth. The trade-in company (for example, let's say EB Games) would pay a certain amount depends on how well used the game is. They're paying that money back to the original owner and then selling the game on to get more profit for the store. This money wouldn't be going back to Capcom as the original payment for selling the game has been made.

So why all the hullabaloo?

EDIT: On that note, if you want people to keep your games rather than sell them after they finish playing them or get bored, try making games that are WORTH keeping. I still have my original copies of Resident Evil 1 - 4 including Code Veronica X on the PS2 because they were so brilliant. Hell, I have Resi Evil DS, the remake of the original and Resi Evil 0 on Gamecube because they were all such awesome games. I have Dino Crisis 1 and 2 as well. All original copies, none pre-played (except by me, of course).
You want people to keep the games, make them worth keeping and not worth playing once and throwing away.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Ya know, I wonder. . . . .Hypothetically speaking, when the 3DS is ultimately cracked to hell and back does anyone think you won't be able to reset the data in the rom that ultimately gets released? It's been a long held opinion of many that in the world of PC games there are quite a few PC titles that are actually superior in their cracked and pirated form due to the annoying DRM being stripped away. It seems that this will be the start of that beginning to bleed over into consoles now. Hell I know people that will buy the game retail and then go download a pirated copy to avoid the jacked over DRM.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Wait, what?

You can't delete saved files? Then how the heck can you restart your game? What, can you only play the game through once and that's it? Suddenly the whole cartridge is bricked?

Also, I LIKE buying my games used. Because its CHEAPER. I don't like anybody trying to enforce rules on me and make me spend more money. All this copy protection and region coding and pre-order only DLC is just draconian nonsense. I shouldn't have to deal with any of this crap. Whatever happened to the free market? Ruthless policies like these are unacceptable, in all forms.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Next thing you'll be telling me is that you can reset the game if you pay for a downloadable key to unlock that feature when it's actually on the fucking cartridge to begin with. Then again, that's not entirely below Capcom.

seyirci

Jun 8, 2009
MikailCaboose said:
They were trying to cut back on used sales, and are now trying to play Mr. Innocent for good PR.
In which case they deserve a Razzie Award for that role, because boy is that inept acting. Although one might place the blame on the scriptwriters.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
-tinfoil hat-

It has begun....the downfall of used games...

Alpha Phase begins w/ Capcom....

Brofist Phase w/ EA soon