Capcom Explains Why Ace Attorney 5 Is Digital Only

BM19

Sep 24, 2012
... Am I the only one who doesn't mind the eShop? Yeah, it's no Steam, but its about as good as PSN, IMO, and I still use it.
Anyway, just glad we're getting a new one. A less-than-retail pricing would be appreciated, though, because it only makes sense for the digital-only to cost less than the physical copy.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
They should do some leg work and release the games on Steam or Gog or some other digital distribution system. Plenty of niche games get great sales that way and Ace Attorny has some name recognition.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Gormech said:
Also, being quiet playing on my handheld with my headphones on is kinda pointless and embarrassing when every 10min or so I have to randomly yell out "OBJECTION!!!1!" at my screen to play the game. I suggest they fix that.
You can use the buttons instead. You can play the entire game without using the stylus at all.

This kinda sucks for me becuase my internet connection is slow. Downloading a game is pretty much impossible unless it's available via torrent.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Svensson's last comment says it all really; Better digital than not at all, i only hope we get it in europe too, Nintendo has a pretty decent record for euro releases so fingers crossed.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Gormech said:
I think the problem is that they don't wanna send the hardcopies overseas after that whole "Cutting ties with the West" thing. Saying one of their best games isn't selling well over here will only drive their distorted logic further.
Wait, what? They're seriously gonna stop bringing games to the West? That's just... Extremely stupid.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think, regardless of the motivations behind the fan furor, that it will ultimately lead to zero future games, considering that this is their baby step to attempt to re-enter the market. I guess that's what people want, right?

That being said, I still have old grudges to grind with Capcom, so I'm not getting involved anyway.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Gormech said:
Also, being quiet playing on my handheld with my headphones on is kinda pointless and embarrassing when every 10min or so I have to randomly yell out "OBJECTION!!!1!" at my screen to play the game. I suggest they fix that.
You never have to shout Objection(other than the very ending of *I think* the first game). Just blow into the mic and it'll work. Or you can use the touchscreen, or you can use the X button. It was never mandatory to shout out.

I'm not happy about it, but I'll be getting it, regardless.

My biggest fear about this, is it's an excuse to say the game's not selling well, because digital copies aren't considered sales. And if it winds up being a shoddy title, this could all be a setup to kill the franchise. But now I'm getting into conspiracy theory territory and I probably shouldn't.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
My biggest fear about this, is it's an excuse to say the game's not selling well, because digital copies aren't considered sales. And if it winds up being a shoddy title, this could all be a setup to kill the franchise. But now I'm getting into conspiracy theory territory and I probably shouldn't.
A setup to kill the franchise??? WHAT??
Why does it need a setup? They could just, you know, NOT MAKE ANY MORE in the franchise if they wanted to kill it, and that option is FREE.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I really only mind this because Nintendo's eshop is terrible. If I didn't have to worry about losing the game if I trade in my 3DS for a new model (you need both systems to make the transfer, so the only way this works is if you buy a new one at full price and sell the old one later), or if my current one breaks, then I would feel 100% okay with it.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Exius Xavarus said:
A setup to kill the franchise??? WHAT??
Why does it need a setup? They could just, you know, NOT MAKE ANY MORE in the franchise if they wanted to kill it, and that option is FREE.
They're going to piss off a LOT of people if they just up and quit making Ace Attorney titles. If the latest game is trash, Capcom would have an excuse to say they're not worth making anymore, since the last game bombed so hard.

They'd have an excuse, the customers would be more upset that the last title sucked than that they weren't making anymore, Capcom wouldn't have to bother with the series anymore. Capcom also said they were "cutting ties with the west," so it could *also* give them an excuse to say that we Americans don't like the Ace Attorney games, and they no longer deem it worth the time to localize them.

Deciding to up and stop developing the Ace Attorney series out of the blue for no reason is just a bit of a stupid idea.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
They're going to piss off a LOT of people if they just up and quit making Ace Attorney titles. If the latest game is trash, Capcom would have an excuse to say they're not worth making anymore, since the last game bombed so hard.

They'd have an excuse, the customers would be more upset that the last title sucked than that they weren't making anymore, Capcom wouldn't have to bother with the series anymore. Capcom also said they were "cutting ties with the west," so it could *also* give them an excuse to say that we Americans don't like the Ace Attorney games, and they no longer deem it worth the time to localize them.

Deciding to up and stop developing the Ace Attorney series out of the blue for no reason is just a bit of a stupid idea.
Why do they need an excuse? Bad news is going to be bad news no matter how it goes down.
There is literally no rational reason to produce an excuse, let alone a bad game as an excuse.

The cheapest and most sane option is always going to be "ignore them".
They can't lose business they aren't doing after all.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
The cheapest and most sane option is always going to be "ignore them".
They can't lose business they aren't doing after all.
That's...a really, really stupid idea. It's better to try and fail, than not try at all. Also, completely ignoring a good portion of your fan base, as I said earlier, is a really, really stupid idea. It makes them look worse than if their game bombed.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
That's...a really, really stupid idea. It's better to try and fail, than not try at all. Also, completely ignoring a good portion of your fan base, as I said earlier, is a really, really stupid idea. It makes them look worse than if their game bombed.
That makes no sense. At all.
Plus, I'm damn pretty sure that open contempt looks a lot worse than disinterest, especially for PR.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Exius Xavarus said:
That makes no sense. At all.
Plus, I'm damn pretty sure that open contempt looks a lot worse than disinterest, especially for PR.
Open contempt. Uh huh. That's the whole point of the setup. So it's not in the open.

Whatever you say, pal. Neither of us are going to convince the other of anything, so I'm stopping here. Good day, sir.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Exius Xavarus said:
Open contempt. Uh huh. That's the whole point of the setup. So it's not in the open.

Whatever you say, pal. Neither of us are going to convince the other of anything, so I'm stopping here. Good day, sir.
If a franchise isn't selling well, the owner shelves it until someone else generates enough interest for them to reboot/reinvent it (as EA did with Syndicate), or sell the IP to someone else (like how Microsoft did with FASA's old properties Shadowrun/Mechwarrior. Or how Activision did with Tribes).

They DO NOT squeeze out a turd of a game, then point to it to go "OH LOOK! NOBODY LIKES OUR SHIT! IT MUST BE THE FRANCHISE! KILL IT!" because that's fucking insane.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Let me just say: if this game sells well, they will have NO excuse to not localize their crossover with the best-selling Professor Layton series. A crossover that is, may I add, pretty much the best idea in the history of ever.

So no, I haven't given up on it. Ace Attorney 5 WILL sell, and then Capcom will hear no end of demands for Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney. This needs to happen.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Belbe said:
I agree with this move. Honestly NO ONE has ever looked at an AA title on the shelf and thought to themselves that they'll give it a try. You find out somewhere, and you either love the idea and pick it up or don't think twice. The Layton series should go the same way tbh.

You were either gunna buy it anyway, or you don't even register that it's on that shelf. That's how these titles are.
I am not sure if you are serious or sarcastic