Capcom Fights Used Game Sales With Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D Saved Games

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I support online pass and such, but this just sounds stupid. Like, REALLY stupid.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
So what about down the road when they're no longer producing the game, and the only available copies will be used copies?

That's just driving away future customers.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Wait? You mean the unlockable weapons and alternate costumes may already be there with used sales? The bastards!

This isn't DRM. This isn't an attempt to combat used game sales. This is just an auto save system.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
Ih8pkmn said:
*facepalm*

I give it 3 days before this particular DRM is cracked, and it will be cracked using nothing more than a refrigerator magnet and a kumquat!
Yeah, people seem to crack DRM pretty quickly these days, and--wait, what?

OT:I thought that a game being like new when they bought it used was one of the main reasons there wasn't too much piracy. A lot of used game buyers can't afford them new, say they'll have to pirate it.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I have a friend who is constantly buying new games. The moment I mention some new game to try, he buys it almost the same day. I used to think the guy was made of money. Turns out, he has been selling games back to the store for the money to buy new games. He pumps tons of money into new games which he then sells later.

If he couldn't sell them back, I don't know what he'd do. He'd probably just borrow my copy of Oblivion and never buy anything again.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Whatever good will gamers give to this industry, they squash. It's almost like they are saying "We are designing this game to be defective, fuck you gamers!"

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
Why are companies so against the sale of used games? I talked to a GameStop manager and he flat-out told me the crap they say is basically bull. Used games are the primary source of income for the stores; They say the 60 dollar pricetag is needed, but you see PC games that you can't give back that have the exact same pricing. If anything this is gonna hurt Capcom's reputation.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, duuuumb.

Granted, the game doesn't have a campaign per se but it still will affect the gameplay. The character upgrades will stick from what I gather.

So the game should cost about $5 because it seems to be one single new playthrough allowed.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
FoolKiller said:
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Granted, the game doesn't have a campaign per se but it still will affect the gameplay. The character upgrades will stick from what I gather.

So the game should cost about $5 because it seems to be one single new playthrough allowed.
...and if they get away with this without too much backlash, we may see RPG's taking this route next. This is a foot-in-the-door move. They eventually want you to buy a new copy for every playthrough of every game. Finished with the latest Pokemon game? Wanna let your brother play it? Nope, he'll have to buy his own copy.

It seems to me that game companies are using piracy and used sales as an excuse to put unrealistic limits on games that ultimately puts more money in their bank account.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
The next step:

"You can only complete the game a limited amount of times."

*shiver*

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
Considering the 3DS is probably the las system that will ever use a cartridge this realy cant catch on and I doubt any publishers will support them.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Crono1973 said:
FoolKiller said:
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

...and if they get away with this without too much backlash, we may see RPG's taking this route next. This is a foot-in-the-door move. They eventually want you to buy a new copy for every playthrough of every game. Finished with the latest Pokemon game? Wanna let your brother play it? Nope, he'll have to buy his own copy.

It seems to me that game companies are using piracy and used sales as an excuse to put unrealistic limits on games that ultimately puts more money in their bank account.
It's okay though. At the end of the day it's only 3DS. I don't see this working on a console as the drive doesn't write to the disc. And it would never be accepted to creating save files on the hard drive that are permanent.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
I never really liked capcom for the way they do DLC. This is just another reason to add to why I'll never buy another game by them ever again

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Denariax said:
Why are companies so against the sale of used games? I talked to a GameStop manager and he flat-out told me the crap they say is basically bull. Used games are the primary source of income for the stores; They say the 60 dollar pricetag is needed, but you see PC games that you can't give back that have the exact same pricing. If anything this is gonna hurt Capcom's reputation.
But do they have to buy back a game for 20 dollars then sell it used for 55? Yeah sure used games are their primary source of income but they could also go the way of every other medium and sell the games back for like a 10-15 dollar profit rather than a 35 yeah its a great business practice but it turns away potential used copy sales on games that are still around 50 bucks new when they sell them for 5 dollars less than the new copy. Hell I even saw a USED copy of a game go for 30 dollars while I found a new copy at 20 at a Gamestop I even had them check the prices in their computer and it wasn't from a missed restickering it was actually MORE USED.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Krion_Vark said:
Denariax said:
But do they have to buy back a game for 20 dollars then sell it used for 55? Yeah sure used games are their primary source of income but they could also go the way of every other medium and sell the games back for like a 10-15 dollar profit rather than a 35 yeah its a great business practice but it turns away potential used copy sales on games that are still around 50 bucks new when they sell them for 5 dollars less than the new copy. Hell I even saw a USED copy of a game go for 30 dollars while I found a new copy at 20 at a Gamestop I even had them check the prices in their computer and it wasn't from a missed restickering it was actually MORE USED.
Let's suppose that they did, in fact, do that. They buy a $60 game at $20 and sell it at $35. Why would ANYONE buy new at that point? And again, they have no idea how soon the used game will sell, so that range is the buffer. That's my best guess.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Crono1973 said:
FoolKiller said:
Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

It's okay though. At the end of the day it's only 3DS. I don't see this working on a console as the drive doesn't write to the disc. And it would never be accepted to creating save files on the hard drive that are permanent.
Mass Effect 2 complete game. Cannot be erased I believe. Also they could easily have a code that comes with the game which causes it to not be played without it. Shit thats what computers did didnt they.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
That is the most ill-advised decision ever. Of all time.

I always periodically go through my games and delete old saves I don't want to use. This is just another example of trying to combat Used sales by penalizing everybody.

Wasn't planning to get RE:M, definitely won't now.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
CM156 said:
Krion_Vark said:
Denariax said:
Let's suppose that they did, in fact, do that. They buy a $60 game at $20 and sell it at $35. Why would ANYONE buy new at that point? And again, they have no idea how soon the used game will sell, so that range is the buffer. That's my best guess.
Some games like older ones I can understand but maybe having it be higher buy back so that there is more of an incentive to sell your game to them or maybe not give it in giftcard form or 10% less for cash in hand. Like say they sell the game at 55 still when its 60 new but buy it for 30. it helps in buying another game more than getting 20