Capcom Infusing Ninja Theory With "Action Game Knowhow" For DmC

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Infusing Ninja Theory With "Action Game Knowhow" For DmC

DmC will apparently be better than any game that Ninja Theory or Capcom could have made alone.

If you were worried about the combat in the upcoming fifth Devil May Cry game, called simply, "DmC," then don't worry, because Capcom - which knows a thing or two about the series - has been holding Ninja Theory's hand every step of the way.

Capcom's Alex Jones, who is the co-producer on the game, said that DmC was a "fairly intensive" collaboration between Capcom and Ninja Theory, and that the amount of detail the two studios went into was almost like a "symposium on Street Fighter level combat." Translating for Capcom Japan's Motohide Eshiro, the other co-producer on the game, David Chrissop said that Capcom was imparting its combat wisdom to Ninja Theory, which - when combined with Ninja Theory's talent for character and story - would result in a game better than either company could have made alone.

Assuming that this isn't just marketing spin, it sounds like DmC stands every chance of being one of the best Devil May Cry games around. A game with the amazing combat the series is known for, and characters who have personalities beyond "smug," "angry," or "angsty?" That sounds like a very interesting Devil May Cry game indeed.

DmC comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2012.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/08/25/recorded_live_from_gamescom:_dmc_interview]

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
While I am a bit concerned about this, I do think that it could end up being good. We'll have to wait and see.

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
cnaltman62 said:
While I am a bit concerned about this, I do think that it could end up being good. We'll have to wait and see.
That's how I feel about it as well, it might be weird to get into at first but I know the action of the DMC series will be there and that... well that's just going to be awesome. However will the story be worth the grind that is up for debate.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
In the end, I'm still going to give this one a shot. I'd hate to have one game out of the entire DMC series that I wouldn't enjoy.

I'll still play this, despite the discrepancies [http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ln.jpg]...

May 25, 2010
The gameplay trailer looks JUST fine to me. Way better than anything I found in DMC4, which was the most boring game since 2. Ninja Theory however are not particularly talented as far as character and story go but w/e, I'll just wait and see.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Scrythe said:
In the end, I'm still going to give this one a shot. I'd hate to have one game out of the entire DMC series that I wouldn't enjoy.

I'll still play this, despite the discrepancies [http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ln.jpg]...
Does that mean you enjoyed Devil May Cry 2?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I thought that was obvious even without Capcom having to come out and say "Dont worry guys, we wont let them fuck up the gameplay too much!"

Then again at least its a confirmation.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Tin Man said:
I've played all the DLC games, and this can't be worse then 2 and I thought 4 was a half finished turd, that cheekily padded itself out by giving me the job of LITERALLY, going through all the levels again, but backward. And Nero was a complete tart and I hated him.

This new guy, cause he ISN'T what I think of as dante, looks interesting, and to be honest I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this one.

Scrythe said:

Then you'll be very glad to know that when D trigger is kicked in this one, his hair goes white.

Honestly, the fact that so many gamers apparently give a shit about hair colour was a surprise to me... I thought the fact that he isn't even part human anymore would be a bigger rub for the people who can't see past this being a complete reimagining of the series from the ground up...
Yeah the Demon/Angel thing is worrying me more than anything else at the moment. My main concern is that they'll actually remove Sparda and replace him with a generic demon parent or something.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Tin Man said:
Honestly, the fact that so many gamers apparently give a shit about hair colour was a surprise to me... I thought the fact that he isn't even part human anymore would be a bigger rub for the people who can't see past this being a complete reimagining of the series from the ground up...
Honestly, I don't really give a shit what his hair color is. Hell, he could have a 1980's pink-and-purple punk mohawk for all I fucking care. My concern is the radical shift in personality, and the fact that he doesn't resemble Dante at all. I would accept the fact that this is supposed to be a younger Dante, except that we've already seen Young Dante... in DMC3, and that Dante didn't have the high sunken-in cheek bones and protruding brow that this DmC Dante has, unless both Dante and Vergil synchronized their plastic surgery. This guy reminds me more of Sin from Guilty Gear 2 than Dante.

anthony87 said:
Does that mean you enjoyed Devil May Cry 2?
Without a single trace of sarcasm or irony, I can admit that I actually did rather enjoy Devil May Cry 2.

Granted, I never touched Disk 2 yet, but I'm sure I'm not missing much.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
Ninja Theory has talent for story and characters? First I've heard of it. I expect the game to have great gameplay and be pretty damn fun....but I still feel as though I'm not going to really enjoy it. Call me crazy but I'm fairy interested in the story of Devil May Cry. Since this a reboot and based on what I've heard, it seems like they may have changed the plot entirely. What with all the unanswered questions from the previous games, I'm a bit disappointed.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
What was wrong with Devil May Cry 2? People have been bashing on that game and I still don't why. It's been years since I've played it but I remember I stuck with it till the end and it turned okay but not as good as the other better DMCs like 1 and 3. It certainly wasn't awful.

OT: I've bashed previous DMCs for having awful stories, even though I like the series, but I'm kinda intrigued with this one especially since NT is involved.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Im sorry but until "Dante" looses the skinny jeans and emo haircut colour me disinterested.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I stopped trusting Capcom a while back, so this isn't making me any more optimistic. Until they provide a playable build, I will believe nothing from them.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Packie_J said:
What was wrong with Devil May Cry 2? People have been bashing on that game and I still don't why. It's been years since I've played it but I remember I stuck with it till the end and it turned okay but not as good as the other better DMCs like 1 and 3. It certainly wasn't awful.

OT: I've bashed previous DMCs for having awful stories, even though I like the series, but I'm kinda intrigued with this one especially since NT is involved.
2 was easy, REALLY easy. Yet 2 had the best soundtrack, atmosphere and Devil Trigger. Besides that the gameplay was slow yet it did have some pretty damn cool boss and stage designs. It's weird that in a design perspective DMC2 is crazy good, everything about it was a level up from the first game. Except that Dante wasn't a lighthearted guy he was in DMC. This Dante was dead fucking serious most likely the only time he took a job "seriously". He had his flirty moments with Lucia. Also Dante didn't get any Devil Arms in 2 either he just got 2 different swords, a lot of guns and basically the souls of powerful demons to buff his already insanely powerful DT. IF DMC2 was remade with the Combat and enemy AI of 3 it would be respected more, or hated because DMC2 had some of powerful normal enemies that had some really BS gimmicks to them.

Edit

I forgot that Trish is playable in that game and she's also the most selectable powerful character.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Tin Man said:
Togs said:
Im sorry but until "Dante" looses the skinny jeans and emo haircut colour me disinterested.
Because we all know how important a characters fashion sense is when looking at game mechanics...
Fun mechanics are nice but aesthetic is also important, if you dont like the initial impression of the aesthetics its bound to make people wary, and I find the whole emo look annoying

Of course my trepidation would be alot less if they hadnt completely scrapped the old DMC aeshetic for a new one whilst keeping the old name, AKA trading on an existing license with what is essentially a new game.

EDIT= Just spotted the unintended insult in my post, Im not a fan of the emo look, doesnt mean I think people shouldnt dress like that if they want to, just like I wouldnt expect people to begrudge me not wanting to buy a game when I dont like the direction its taking, its all a matter of personal taste.