Capcom is suing Tecmo-Koei

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Most people are probably aware of the fact that Capcom isn't quite what it used to be, and currently seem to be in some financial and intellectual trouble.

They are suing Tecmo-Koei for, well, just read it for yourself...
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/26/capcom-suing-koei-tecmo-patent-infringement/

Yep, apparently Capcom invented expansion packs and Tecmo-Koei are the only company that have infringed this, through games such as the Xtreme Legends expansions associated with the Musou franchise (Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors etc).

Yeah.

So there's another chapter in the sad and strange history of Capcom.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
but there are loads of games that give you little extras if you has a saved file of a previous game in the series. dayum, if Capcom get this (doubt they will, tbh) it could be time for them to headhunt some other companies as well, try earn a few coins back to make up for the years of shit game ideas they had.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm voting "lacks information". As the article puts it, "the description of the patent?s full contents remains unclear".

Clearwaters

Jul 14, 2014
These patents are ridiculous. Doesn't Capcom also hold a patent on mini-games in loading screens?

I hope Capcom doesn't get a cent

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It looks like a desperate legal ploy.
I don't even need to know the patent specifics, since Koei has been publishing expansion discs for their games for nearly a decade now; well after Capcom registered its hilariously generic patents in 2002.

If they actually had a case, why wouldn't they have filed on it years ago?
(Or do Capcom lawyers take shifts every other decade years? Does their legal dept operate via cryostasis?)

This won't fly. But if it did, I imagine a domino effect of lawsuits, appeals, and damages leading to some spectacular infighting amongst the (mostly dying) Japanese publishers.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
From the article: "According to the lawsuit, Capcom filed a patent back in 2002 that involves a function that lets you acquire new content by combining an existing game with another piece of software...Since the patent was filed back in 2002, it likely covers the concept of using expansion discs in conjunction with the original disc of a game, in order to unlock content, as was the case with Samurai Warriors : Xtreme Legends."

Wait, even that's too vague. Many games over the past 20 years have let you unlock something like a bonus costume, gun, or level, if you have a save file from a previous game (just noticed Danny beat me to this). And of course an expansion pack will require the use of the original full game since the definition of an expansion pack is a piece of software that enhances another piece of software and cannot function on its own. Even the Wikipedea [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_pack] entry on expansion packs mention things like GTA: London, 1969 requiring juggling between the original GTA disc and London's disc to play the game on a PS1 or Sonic 3 and Knuckles requiring both carts to play the full game, but the S3&K example really blurs what is new content since some music tracks and items were changed when the games were locked together. The three extra super forms definitely were new content that could not be accessed without both cartridges. That's examples year

I think Capcom is trying desperate attempt to get free cash that will only put them deeper in the hole. Maybe they should just sell or license some of their IPs like Megaman if they don't have the funds to make a decent game for him instead of letting him sit on a shelf collecting dust. They have to have at least a little bit of royalties coming their way for Rock's appearance in the new Smash Bros. Maybe they can do that with other properties or more Megaman? The idea can't be as much of a risk as trying to be a patent troll.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Hmmm... Does this mean if capcom win, we will never see any more DLC? I can get behind that.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Capcom is still a thing? I thought that they were up for sale. No one bought them and put them under heel yet? How sad.

Come on Nintendo, use some of that massive pile of money that everyone says your sitting on. Buy Capcom, put your wizard devs on Campcom IPs like Mega Man and make them great again, and please please PLEASE fire all the current Capcom CEO clowns that are trying to pull stuff like this along with all the mess we've had to endure from Capcom for the past many years.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
If this report is supposedly true, I'm going to have to say it's because Tecmo-Koei is working for Nintendo for the DW-esque Hyrule Warriors. This all smells that Capcom is jealous that Tecmo-Koei is not a compliant (Solely works for Capcom) studio doing what Capcom wants and is working for another company, particularly a console company. That just throws in a flag that Nintendo probably went to Capcom to make an exclusive Hyrule Warriors, but they said no, and Tecmo-Koei went to Nintendo themselves and said sure, turning a 3rd party exclusive into a 2nd party exclusive that benefits just Nintendo and TK.

All conjecture on my part, insane ramblings.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
InsanityRequiem said:
All conjecture on my part, insane ramblings.
The reports are true, and it's not over Hyrule Warriors at all. It's more over things about Dynasty Warriors and expansions, along with the controller "vibrating when enemies are near" because apparently they somehow were able to patent rumble feature...
More specifically it's over the disc-based expansions like the XL games, which in this case we could possibly see Capcom trying to sue Nintendo over New Super Luigi U, since it's the same damn thing in this situation.
They're gonna lose this one so badly, it's not even funny.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Clearwaters said:
These patents are ridiculous. Doesn't Capcom also hold a patent on mini-games in loading screens?

I hope Capcom doesn't get a cent
actually, Namco has that iirc. but it runs out soon

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Hairless Mammoth said:
From the article: "According to the lawsuit, Capcom filed a patent back in 2002 that involves a function that lets you acquire new content by combining an existing game with another piece of software...Since the patent was filed back in 2002, it likely covers the concept of using expansion discs in conjunction with the original disc of a game, in order to unlock content, as was the case with Samurai Warriors : Xtreme Legends."

Wait, even that's too vague. Many games over the past 20 years have let you unlock something like a bonus costume, gun, or level, if you have a save file from a previous game (just noticed Danny beat me to this). And of course an expansion pack will require the use of the original full game since the definition of an expansion pack is a piece of software that enhances another piece of software and cannot function on its own. Even the Wikipedea [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_pack] entry on expansion packs mention things like GTA: London, 1969 requiring juggling between the original GTA disc and London's disc to play the game on a PS1 or Sonic 3 and Knuckles requiring both carts to play the full game, but the S3&K example really blurs what is new content since some music tracks and items were changed when the games were locked together. The three extra super forms definitely were new content that could not be accessed without both cartridges. That's examples year

I think Capcom is trying desperate attempt to get free cash that will only put them deeper in the hole. Maybe they should just sell or license some of their IPs like Megaman if they don't have the funds to make a decent game for him instead of letting him sit on a shelf collecting dust. They have to have at least a little bit of royalties coming their way for Rock's appearance in the new Smash Bros. Maybe they can do that with other properties or more Megaman? The idea can't be as much of a risk as trying to be a patent troll.
Oh this goes back more than 20 years. Computer RPGs were letting you copy saved data for your characters from one game in a series to the next in the 1980s.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
According to the lawsuit, Capcom filed a patent back in 2002 that involves a function that lets you acquire new content by combining an existing game with another piece of software.
Additionally, another patent mentioned in the report is a controller-vibrating notification feature when enemy characters are nearby. Capcom claims that the patent infringement ?has greatly contributed to the sales? of Koei Tecmo?s titles.
Okay, how can someone be this stupid with patent law? The way the article phrases it is vague and apparently it only applies to the concept of expansion packs. But the way that is described, it is like Apple suing a bakery because they use apples in pie.

And the second claim... Jesus, with Capcom being so horribly run, it makes me fear for any kind of Dragon's Dogma sequel.

MintSM

Aug 16, 2014
Remember that remark Yahtzee made that Capcom isn't exactly dangerous, just really dense? (maybe it was to EA, I can't remember XD)

Yeah, this is kind of teetering that line right now.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Cant see them getting anywhere with this at least from what I know I would assume they are after a settlement figure from Tecmo-koei which I dont think they will get.

If anything this leads me to believe Capcom may be in a worse situation than we are aware. To be honest I would not mind them being forced to sell off some IP rather than just keep it locked up so a new game is never released sell Darkstalkers to SNK or Arc, Lab zero (pref Arc or Lab Zero or maybe some people who were involved in the series originally) Devil May Cry and Okami to Platinum and so on. I really believe their talent has either left or is kept in a position where they cannot utilise their abilities well.

They have quite frankly made horrible business decisions for years now that have neither made them rich or endeared them to their (massively diminishing) fanbase

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
well as long as its doesn't effect the games koei has coming out i don't see any reason to be worried yet

i can't wait for samurai warriors 4

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
How did capcom become like this. I'm watching Nintendo's nose dive but even then they're trying to fix plane. Capcom's falling out of no where like a plane from Malaysia. It seemed like when they were doing pretty good when they announced MVC3 and then they just doing weird things.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
The OP already made a sima yi imbecile joke, but I really can?t think of a better way to describe capcom than a bunch of imbeciles, I really hope that this lawsuit is only going to cost capcom more money and sends them quicker to their increasingly inevitable looking grave.

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Patents for game mechanics are a real thing.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6935954

Ever wondered why modern video games seem so stale? No, it's not because of mass marketed AAA dudebro games. It's because large developers have a stranglehold on all but the most broad game mechanics.

Patents - Grinding innovation to a halt since the 1980's.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Jdb said:
Patents for game mechanics are a real thing.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6935954

Ever wondered why modern video games seem so stale? No, it's not because of mass marketed AAA dudebro games. It's because large developers have a stranglehold on all but the most broad game mechanics.

Patents - Grinding innovation to a halt since the 1980's.
Another problem with that is the patents are so vague, that it fools the patent officer into granting is despite similar concepts being in use for decades. Or, on the other end of that spectrum, the patents are so specific that other companies' games look like they violate them at a glance when the core mechanics are different. The lawyers are still adamant to sue despite the patent being trivial (it probably didn't help sell thousand or millions of games) and the rival company telling them they have no case and why. I'm betting the vibration dispute is one one these.

Either way, these patent cases are draining the money from the losing party, when they could have used it on development of the next title, while the winners spend it on executive bonuses and buying more IPs and patents to bury, only to bring them out when they wnat to use them in a lawsuit.