Capcom Promises Resident Evil 6 On-Disc DLC Will be Free

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Capcom Promises Resident Evil 6 On-Disc DLC Will be Free

On notice for past DLC practices, Capcom reveals that a free Resident Evil 6 update is coming in the very near future.

Earlier this week, some intrepid disc divers discovered additional Resident Evil 6 content hidden away within the bowels of the boxed version of the game, awaiting unlock via a downloadable update. After letting the web's conspiracy theorists once again stew for a few days over the prospect of on-disc paid DLC, Capcom is clearing things up: All of the content that appears on the physical disc will indeed be unlocked for free.

"Some data of this update is on the disc, but said data is incomplete and requires the actual download to access. But again, free," the company explains. "Future paid DLC - like the multiplayer modes we revealed a while ago - is not on the disc. We said as much a month ago, but that point may have been lost in the shuffle. RE6 on-disc DLC is free, paid DLC is not on the disc."

Said update will add a new difficulty level to the action horror title, as well as allow gamers to embark on Ada's adventure without tackling the rest of the game first. No date has been specified for the update, but the company says it will hit consoles "soon."

Capcom has come under fire in the recent past for paid on-disc DLC practices for titles including Dragon's Dogma and Street Fighter X Tekken. In May, the company even went so far as to directly address the growing concern via a post on its official forums [http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/29118153/Question_about_on-disc_DLC]. At the time, the company claimed it was re-evaluating the practice for future titles.

The ethical argument over whether paid on-disc DLC is a non-issue or a greedy play to squeeze extra revenue from fans will continue - but for the time being, it looks like Capcom has successfully skirted the issue.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/resident-evil-6-s-on-disc-dlc-will-be-free/0104356]

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
I don't think I've seen a dev backpedal so fast...

Capcom, please stopwith this on-disc shit. It's just lazy, if you want to withhold something, don't put it on the disc in the first place!

Edit: I take my intial statement back! Forgot about this fiasco! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9831-The-R-Word

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
J-meMalone said:

Capcom, please stopwith this on-disc shit. It's just lazy, if you want to withhold something, don't put it on the disc in the first place!

Edit: I take my intial statement back! Forgot about this fiasco! http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9831-The-R-Word
As explained in the article, the DLC that is on the disc isn't finished yet, so they're not withholding anything. The content is still on the disc because it's easier to make certain parts of the game inaccible instead of removing all the code. For other examples of this, see unfinished content in Obsidian games and San Andreas' sex minigame.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
Theminimanx said:
J-meMalone said:

As explained in the article, the DLC that is on the disc isn't finished yet, so they're not withholding anything. The content is still on the disc because it's easier to make certain parts of the game inaccible instead of removing all the code. For other examples of this, see unfinished content in Obsidian games and San Andreas' sex minigame.
Ordinarily I'd give them the benefit of the doubt here, however I don't really trust Capcom on this kind of stuff anymore. Still, no way to know for sure how honest they're being, so you could be right. We can't really tell if this was the initial plan or a saving throw. I'd LIKE for what you say to be true, I'm just a little too cynical. :p

Captcha: neckbeard
I take offence to that! (I can't even grow one.)

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Well, from playing the demo took me from instant purchase to never going to buy and probably won't even bother to rent, so they can do whatever they like with their DLC.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
Um... doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?
What purpose? They got free DLC planned, had some guys working on it pre-release but it wasn't anything they could release because it wasn't finished.
However, some stuff was done, so they decided to throw that stuff on the disc to make the download of that free DLC smaller.

Don't see anything wrong with that idea. If it's on the disc and I get it, then I'm fine with it. I paid for that data, I want to use it - and apparently, I get to use it. (Not in this case, of course, as I didn't bother buying RE6)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:
What purpose? They got free DLC planned, had some guys working on it pre-release but it wasn't anything they could release because it wasn't finished.
However, some stuff was done, so they decided to throw that stuff on the disc to make the download of that free DLC smaller.

Don't see anything wrong with that idea. If it's on the disc and I get it, then I'm fine with it. I paid for that data, I want to use it - and apparently, I get to use it. (Not in this case, of course, as I didn't bother buying RE6)
I mean locking it off. Sorry, it just seems redundant to me.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I guess that they are pulling a Bioware. Lol, it sounds kind of pathetic in my opinion.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:

Because it's incomplete? And locking off incomplete content so it won't screw with the existing one is easiest solution.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I don't trust Capcom anymore. End of debate, for me.

MrBrightside919 said:
Considering they lied to us about there being On disk DLC in the first place...i'm a little skeptical...
Count me among the skeptics, as well.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
At least it is going to be free. If they were going to charge people for it I would be more annoyed about it.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
mad825 said:
I guess that they are pulling a Bioware. Lol, it sounds kind of pathetic in my opinion.
I think you misused that. Pulling a Bioware would imply the devs calling their customers entitled (as if that's a bad thing) for wanting the complete product and no lying to their faces.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:
Bindal said:
canadamus_prime said:

Because it's incomplete? And locking off incomplete content so it won't screw with the existing one is easiest solution.
Well if that's the case then why not make it make it actual DLC instead of in-name-only DLC?

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
So where are our classic costumes then? Are they going to be unlocked through REnet or are we getting another free pack? (I just hope they don't pull an MK)

Apr 5, 2008
Not criticising Capcom for shady practice of selling content customers already have, kudos where it's due. But WTF is the point in putting something on the disc to then make available later? It's not DLC, it's just f***ing content. And if it's being given, not sold, WhyTF isn't it just already in the f***ing game?