Capcom Remixes Memories in New Remember Me Trailer

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Interesting concept. But I fail to see how being the best 'memory remixer' makes you capable at fighting heavily armed security forces.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Partial Nudity? where? i was hoping for some T&A in this trailer...

Seriously, looks ok-ish...but after A:CM i'm not taking any trailer on face value anymore

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Everyone seems to be saying that the whole memory stealing thing is an unoriginal concept, which is true of films maybe, but I haven't seen idea used much in gaming. I'm excited to see what sort of gameplay will come from it. I'm hoping something a little like Ghost Trick on the DS, except a little more expanded, obviously.

IronMit said:
Interesting concept. But I fail to see how being the best 'memory remixer' makes you capable at fighting heavily armed security forces.
It's the same problem a lot of games have when they feature a protagonist that isn't a grizzled soldier.

How does being a theoretical physicist help Gordon Freeman murder aliens from another dimension?
How does being an engineer help Isaac Clark skilfully dismember twisted alien zombies?
How does being any Silent Hill protagonist help them to use any firearm they come across without pause or difficulty?

I believe the same critism was also leveled at the recent reboot of Tomb Raider. It's kinda the price we pay for "unconventional" protagonists.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Proverbial Jon said:
IronMit said:
It's the same problem a lot of games have when they feature a protagonist that isn't a grizzled soldier.

How does being a theoretical physicist help Gordon Freeman murder aliens from another dimension?
How does being an engineer help Isaac Clark skilfully dismember twisted alien zombies?
How does being any Silent Hill protagonist help them to use any firearm they come across without pause or difficulty?

I believe the same critism was also leveled at the recent reboot of Tomb Raider. It's kinda the price we pay for "unconventional" protagonists.

Gordon Freeman and Isaac Clark are kind of out of their depth... that's like half the point of those games. The cutscenes, scripted moments also compliment the gameplay

The new Tomb Raider is trying to address how she learns combat (however a lot of reviews are pointing out how jarring and unrealistic the transitions & cutscenes are-some find it awful but most can look past it, this is a concern depending on what you want from a game-I will wait until I play it.or review sources consistent to my tastes)

So I stand by my question regarding how Remember Me's combat, platforming, story and combat actually fits together because it looks pretty random so far.

I'l throw an analogy back at you to put it in the perspective I am coming from;

Imagine if a Prince of Persia game had a moral choice system with everything else remaining the same
Imagine if Mario suffered from PTS syndrome but it was still a colourful platformer

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
For me the deciding factor will be on how much freedom is given to the player during memory augmentation. If I'm not able to see a defined approach to a successful outcome it will add to the level of immersion, yet if I'm stuck between three options etc it will be a bit of a let down. If they were able to have the story change based on how you individually changed memories that would be amazing! It would make a game completely in control of the user. I don't think it is currently possible for that kind of adaptive tech but I'm sure someone's got the gumption for a prototype of sorts. Either way I like the idea overall if only for the fact that its different from the current trend in games and it has unique mechanics within its story.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
SPOILER.

She is the bad guy or works for the bad guy at the end. She rewrote her chronies memories then her own memory and then did some doomsday planning etc.

Given every other media item that has done the memory thing doing this we have a 60-75% chance of this.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
IronMit said:
Gordon Freeman and Isaac Clark are kind of out of their depth... that's like half the point of those games. The cutscenes, scripted moments also compliment the gameplay

The new Tomb Raider is trying to address how she learns combat (however a lot of reviews are pointing out how jarring and unrealistic the transitions & cutscenes are-some find it awful but most can look past it, this is a concern depending on what you want from a game-I will wait until I play it.or review sources consistent to my tastes)

So I stand by my question regarding how Remember Me's combat, platforming, story and combat actually fits together because it looks pretty random so far.

I'l throw an analogy back at you to put it in the perspective I am coming from;

Imagine if a Prince of Persia game had a moral choice system with everything else remaining the same
Imagine if Mario suffered from PTS syndrome but it was still a colourful platformer
Alright, I see where you're coming from. So you're saying that the mechanic of "memory remixing" is at odds with the generally oppressive and violent nature of the trailer we just watched, right?

Well obviously we don't know much about the plot aside from a quick summary but the Wikipedia article does shed a few minor details:

The player controls Nilin (voiced by Kezia Burrows), an amnesiac 'memory hunter', through the streets of Neo-Paris in the year 2084. This dystopian future features a surveillance state. Nilin's former employer, Memorise, erases her memories to neutralize her and she must discover why and how to restore them. The game opens with Nilin in Bastille Prison.
So Nilin has been imprisoned by Memorise/Memoreyes after they betrayed her and wiped her memory? I assume she is broken out of prsion by this "Edge" that we hear about in the vid because without a memory she would have no personal motivation to escape. So she's informed about her wiped memory and is then motivated to find out the truth. Once she is freed the corporation comes after her because she's clearly quite dangerous, they did imprison her after all. I would say that Nilin is just as much "thrown in" as Gordon and Isaac are in their respective games. This is, of course, purely speculation.

We don't know if she has any form of combat training at this point, her job certainly doesn't suggest as much, but I can see a clear reason for combat in the game. However I can also understand your dislike; there's a perfectly good mechanic here that could have turned this into a stealth "avoid combat" sort of game. She could remix memories in order to overcome obstacles rather than physically fight people. Even so, I wouldn't go as far as to say that combat is thematically at odds with the rest of the game world. It is a surveillance state and the people are likely to be highly suppressed, possibly by violent means.

But this is my interpretation of a couple of trailers and some brief summaries, who knows what it'll really be like!

The_Merchant

Nov 9, 2011
I think the people need to look past the CAPCOM logo andgive Dontnod the benefit of the doubt.
Seriously instantly nay-saying it just because CAPCOM publishes it.
And out of all games Capcom rarely tends to DLC-bombard new IPs.
This is almost like saying you never liked Bayonetta just because you see the Sega logo before the title screen.