Capcom Turns the Zombies Up to Eleven for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Capcom Turns the Zombies Up to Eleven for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record

Frank West needs more zombies to present a challenge. He's covered wars, you know?

If you're a Dead Rising 2 fan and pick up the spin-off title, Off the Record, this October, you might notice that there are more zombies than you remember from the main game. Quite a lot more, in fact: Capcom has upped the zombie count around a third for Off the Record. Why, I hear you ask? Two words: Frank West.

Off the Record is a non-canon retelling of the Dead Rising 2, with Frank West - star of the first Dead Rising - as the hero. Capcom Vancouver - the new name of Dead Rising 2 developer Blue Castle Games - has made him tougher and better armed than Chuck Greene, which naturally, this means that it takes a lot more zombies to present a proper challenge. "This time ... we actually managed to up the zombie density and have the world be a little more dangerous for [Frank]," he explained. "In places, we upped the density by at least 30%. There are probably a few thousand zombies in any one environment."

Capcom seems to be rather keen for players to have fun with these extra zombies, with orders coming down from the head office in Japan that Capcom Vancouver should include more weapons that are less about destroying zombies, and more about playing with them.

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record comes out for Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 on October 11th.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/10/since-frank-west-is-tougher-dead-rising-2-off-the-record-ups-the-zombie-count/]

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Mackheath said:
Whilst this game seems like silly fun, I can't help but wonder if they are just saying 'MOAR ZOMBIES!' to hide the games flaws. XP
What are these flaws that you speak of?
I haven't encountered single one of them
*you point out the unbalanced bosses, kinda stupid AI, throat clenching time limit*

W-well those are intended, its a survival horror after all.

*You point out how wearing an underwear and getting weapons very easily is not scary*

Yes they aren't, the game is really a psychological horror game. Think about chuck wearing a ladies blouse and riding in a tricycle while body parts fly around. Yes that is horror, it was supposed to make you brain damaged.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Though i liked Dead rising 1 and 2 a lot this new version comes off to me as a simple copy+paste but hiding that notion with the "what if" scenario and so i think i shall pass on buying this until a complete new game is created.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
that sounds amazing.
Hey capcom heres an idea, for the WiiU, why dont you just release dead rising 1, 2, case zero, case west, and off the record on one compilation disk, to make up for that horrible Wii port (lets not even talk about the Iphone version).

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
Frank West. He's covered loading times, you know?

As in, WHAT WILL THIS DO TO THE LOADING TIMES?

Or, to put it in Frank Miller's words: WHAT will this DO to the LOADING TIMES?

Otherwise, w00t, Frank West =D

wait ... w00t?