crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SmugFrog said:
crimson5pheonix said:
But now we're super ultra safe from enemy fishing boats with machine guns :\
I don't get the joke - are you implying it doesn't have much weaponry to it?
I'm implying that the only people with a navy to justify this 4+ billion dollar boat are our allies. The only nations and organization that actively hate us don't have much more than fishing boats with machine guns.
To be fair, Russia has been saber-rattling pretty hard lately, and Canadia is always a threat.

Considering the guys age, he was probably named James as an homage to Star Trek.
Russia might be the only country that might mean anything. Then I look at this.

1 aircraft carrier
22 landing ship tanks
4 cruisers
15 destroyers
4 frigates
78 corvettes
56 submarines
34 Mine countermeasures vessels

10 aircraft carriers
9 amphibious assault ships
10 amphibious transport docks
12 dock landing ships
22 Guided missile cruisers
62 Guided missile destroyers
4 littoral combat ships
71 submarines

Guess who's who?
*Gasp* they have many more mine countermeasure vessels than us! You're ignoring the real threat: Candian kung-fu bears! (If a bear can learn to dance, it can learn kung-fu)
You're also overlooking NATO. If Russia attacks anyone in NATO, they have to fight all of NATO.
I don't believe a military gunboat is something you bring against kung-fu bears...

That's also a good point. Why do we need this destroyer again?
...Something something military industrial complex?
Watching our money literally sail away >.>

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SmugFrog said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I'm implying that the only people with a navy to justify this 4+ billion dollar boat are our allies. The only nations and organization that actively hate us don't have much more than fishing boats with machine guns.
To be fair, Russia has been saber-rattling pretty hard lately, and Canadia is always a threat.

Considering the guys age, he was probably named James as an homage to Star Trek.

1 aircraft carrier
22 landing ship tanks
4 cruisers
15 destroyers
4 frigates
78 corvettes
56 submarines

10 aircraft carriers
12 dock landing ships
4 littoral combat ships
71 submarines

Guess who's who?
*Gasp* they have many more mine countermeasure vessels than us! You're ignoring the real threat: Candian kung-fu bears! (If a bear can learn to dance, it can learn kung-fu)
You're also overlooking NATO. If Russia attacks anyone in NATO, they have to fight all of NATO.
I don't believe a military gunboat is something you bring against kung-fu bears...

I just did some quick and dirty math based on the numbers you provided, and their navy actually has 14 more vessels than us.
Obviously; not all naval vessels are comparable, but you should also consider that a large portion of our navy is tied up doing things like babysitting Japan and Taiwan.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SmugFrog said:
crimson5pheonix said:

1 aircraft carrier
22 landing ship tanks
4 cruisers
15 destroyers
4 frigates
78 corvettes
56 submarines

10 aircraft carriers
12 dock landing ships
4 littoral combat ships
71 submarines

Guess who's who?

I just did some quick and dirty math based on the numbers you provided, and their navy actually has 14 more vessels than us.
Obviously; not all naval vessels are comparable, but you should also consider that a large portion of our navy is tied up doing things like babysitting Japan and Taiwan.
Oh those are just the big boats. They have 8 more deployable ships but less than a tenth of the aircraft and half of the personnel to back that up.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Souplex said:
Canadia is always a threat.
Careful now, you wouldn't want to offend us, we might be forced to write a strongly worded letter.

And then we'd be sorry, you wouldn't like us when we're sorry.

On topic though, interesting ship, I have to ask, who exactly are they hiding from? seems like a waste of money... but then that's what the military is for, isn't it?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Valanthe said:
Souplex said:
Canadia is always a threat.
Careful now, you wouldn't want to offend us, we might be forced to write a strongly worded letter.

And then we'd be sorry, you wouldn't like us when we're sorry.
I'm on to your game, I know the "America's polite hat" schtick is an act to distract from your kung-fu bears, killbots, and cloned dinosaur cavalry that will come charging southward on C-day.

Starbolt-81

Jan 7, 2009
We could be in space right now.

But nope, we're just gonna sit here and piss away billions on more efficient ways of killing each other.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
"The look though is designed to give the ship a more compact look, making it appear as a fishing vessel on radar."

So it's stealthy in the way that it hides as a civilian vessel, which will result in military ships opening fire on fishing vessels as well, in the future, in an attempt to neutralise the new destroyer.

Good job.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Souplex said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SmugFrog said:
crimson5pheonix said:

1 aircraft carrier
22 landing ship tanks
4 cruisers
15 destroyers
4 frigates
78 corvettes
56 submarines

10 aircraft carriers
12 dock landing ships
4 littoral combat ships
71 submarines

Guess who's who?

oh yeah, because canadian marine is such a threat... we have 4 submarines that are over 30 years old and that have spend more time in dry dock repair than in actual water, 1 destroyer that is over 40 years old, 12 frigates, 12 coastal defence ship, 8 unarmed patrol ship and 320 various unarmed ship (tug boat, training boat, fire boat, etc).

that new amrican ship could sunk all the canadian marine by itself !

but, i have to say that it's very ugly. the sea shadow looked so much cooler...

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
crimson5pheonix said:
Something something Chinese rise to power something something Communism!

At least that's what I always hear on the one military website I sometimes frequent, who constantly complain that Obama is gutting our military so "his ISIS buddies can invade".

Which is one reason I'm no longer in the military.

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
At 15,000 tons, it's closer to a cruiser in tonnage. Perhaps 'destroyer' sounds cheaper than 'cruiser'?

RawSteelUT

Mar 8, 2015
James Kirk? Really? So, when do we get an aircraft carrier headed by Jean-Luc Picard? Maybe we can get Benjamin Sisko to head up the International Space Station?