Captain America 3 Directors Speak Out on Ending Cap's Story

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Captain America 3 Directors Speak Out on Ending Cap's Story

Anthony and Joe Russo, who will come back to direct Captain America 3, states that for a "satisfying" story, there needs to be a "beginning, middle and an end."

If you've been keeping tabs on Marvel's Cinematic Universe, then you'd know that one of the most startling moves the studio did in its "Phase Two" of movies is concluding scheduled third film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/search/?q=robert+downey&cx=005672590579257297818%3Amkmrjhvsnwa&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search] in the superhero team-up film franchise, it's unknown at this point which direction Iron Man's going since at the end of Iron Man 3, Tony Stark did manage to take out the shrapnel threatening to take his life, which makes the arc reactor in his chest unnecessary. Could a similar story-tying conclusion be in the cards for Chris Evans in Captain America 3?

This very question was asked to Anthony and Joe Russo, who are once again coming back to helm the as-of-yet-untitled follow up to Captain America: The Winter Soldier, in an interview with MTV. Obviously, the duo can't really divulge anything too big this early on in the film's production, but they did let on that for a satisfying storytelling, a "beginning, middle and end" is needed.

Anthony Russo: It is a hard question to answer because it gets to the specific of where the narratives are going. I will say this: yes, for satisfying storytelling, you want a beginning, middle and end...That's the natural arc that we all thrive off of in narrative.

The Russos also let on that directors working with Marvel can achieve what they're referring to without running franchises into the ground by borrowing a "mentality" from the publishing arm of Marvel. While certain characters might get an emotional and/or narrative conclusion, others could find their worlds turned upside down, which could lead to more central roles.

Anthony Russo: The great thing about the Marvel universe, just like the publishing, it's a very vast, inter-connected universe, where characters will have their rise and fall, so to speak, and hand off to other characters...As the cinematic universe moves forward, you may start to see the cinematic universe adopt that same pattern, as the publishing has, where there's closure with some characters and new beginnings with other characters. How those hand-offs are made is always part of the fun.

Does this mean follow the comics and make The Falcon the new Cap [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/chris%20evans], right? Are you looking forward to the "endings" of Marvel's standalone films or should the studio continue putting them out as long as they can retain the quality of each?

Source: MTV [http://www.mtv.com/news/1914004/captain-america-3-conclusion/]

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Well, IIRC, in the comics Steve Rogers eventually starts aging rapidly and thus is unfit for Captain duty. He gets offed by Bullseye before being able to die from old age, though

he gets better.

I'm thinking that one of the possible ways Marvel might go is killing off Rogers at the end of the third movie, what with Evans hinting on getting out of the acting gig after he's done with the Captain.

Only to get hosed with a Phoenix Down in the obligatory stinger.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think what they'll do is retire Cap rather than kill him. Or maybe it'll look like he dies but doesn't really. Cap 2 and to a lesser degree Avengers keep pointing at Cap's inability to "find his place on Earth" or something along those lines. He'll probably get over Peggy, hook up with her granddaughter, Falcon or W Soldier pick up where he left or something like that and he settles for a quiet Norman Rockwell life for the rest of his days.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Well, he's got a contract [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132886-Chris-Evans-Signed-for-Six-Marvel-Films] so I don't see him just vanishing from the universe. I doubt they'll retire him as Captain America for good but I could see Steve Rogers passing the torch onto someone worthy for a time. Kind of a 'give them hope' thing while he goes out and does hero stuff under the radar in third world countries. Heck, maybe he'll be a big part of a future Hulk movie where he and Banner just happen to be in the same region.

Ultimately, I think by movie #6 he'll either come back as Captain America in a really dark moment and get killed saving everyone or maybe he'll end his role maimed but alive, possibly becoming a part of the replacement organization for SHIELD.

Who knows. He still has his Winter Soldier stuff he has to take care of though.

Speculation is fun!

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Alex Co said:
But even if it is, Marvel could easily just follow the comics and make The Falcon the new Cap [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136210-BREAKING-Sam-Wilson-Formerly-The-Falcon-is-Marvels-New-Captain-America], right?
My first thought when Marvel announced that was "at least we know where the films are going". The Falcon taking over in the comics a couple of months after being used in the Winter Soldier really stands out as a test bed for Anthony Mackie Falcon in Winter Soldier) taking up the Captain America mantle in the films.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
mechalynx said:
Well, IIRC, in the comics Steve Rogers eventually starts aging rapidly and thus is unfit for Captain duty. He gets offed by Bullseye before being able to die from old age, though

he gets better.

I'm thinking that one of the possible ways Marvel might go is killing off Rogers at the end of the third movie, what with Evans hinting on getting out of the acting gig after he's done with the Captain.

Only to get hosed with a Phoenix Down in the obligatory stinger.
I'd say it's more likely Bucky would take over as Captain America as he did in the comics.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Vivi22 said:
I'd say it's more likely Bucky would take over as Captain America as he did in the comics.
Given that they signed his actor to NINE movies, I think that's a pretty decent bet.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Without too much actual speculation I like the idea of there being defined endings (or at least chapter ends) in play for the Marvel universe. That sort of structured story is one of the greatest strengths of the Marvel universe as we've seen it on film. Most of the movies don't feel like they're just treading water in and of themselves, and they also work together nicely to feel like they are actually building towards something. As much as I generally enjoy the Universe, the last thing I'd want for it is to start blindly moving forwards simply because the movies keep making money.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't mind it ending, as long as it's a happy ending. Iron Man got a happy ending, so Cap better too. I love his character and I will be sad to see him go, but I don't want to see him die or go out in a blaze of glory. I would like to see him retire and just spend the rest of his time enjoying the new world that he's been dropped into. After all, he does have that whole list thing he needs to get through.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't think killing him is or passing on the mantle is viable until Evans contract is up, which is for 6 movies (3x Cap, 3x Avengers)if I recall. I think what we may see is a wrap up of his story with his friend, Bucky. Bucky did leave at the end of Cap 2. And since he is a persistent character, that may be what they are talking about. Or maybe he will find a reason to no longer be Captain America and live a peaceful life, which could mean that in the instance of second and third Avengers film, he would have a reason to come out of retirement (ie. a threat so big they need all of the Avengers).

I think it's far too early to assume this will go the way of the comics and they will find a way for Steve Rogers to not be Cap any longer. I could be wrong though, we'll see. Or maybe, they will retire him at the end of that, pass on the mantle to someone (we can even say Sam Wilson, though he has not special abilities what so ever so Bucky is a viable choice in comparison), but they will have a reason for him to take up the mantle again for the remaining Avengers film(returning to the contract for 6 movies again).

I also feel that speculation at this point it stupid because so little is known. They just said the story will have a conclusion as all stories should (looking at you, George RR Martin). Remember, Iron Man 3 got rid of the reason for Tony Stark to have an Arc Reactor in his chest, not his reason for being Iron Man.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
Baresark said:
I also feel that speculation at this point it stupid because so little is known. They just said the story will have a conclusion as all stories should (looking at you, George RR Martin). Remember, Iron Man 3 got rid of the reason for Tony Stark to have an Arc Reactor in his chest, not his reason for being Iron Man.
yep, the shrapnel is gone so he doesn't need to have the arc reactor anymore

... except, you know, the giant HOLE IN HIS STERNUM WHERE THE REACTOR WAS

(plus, the suits are self powered as well, look at the Iron Patriot suit, and all of the ones at the end of 3)

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
After the past few weeks, I think it's pretty obvious Marvel doesn't need to keep any of their main characters around for too long. Just keep on making great movies and the audience will love whoever they put in the main role.

That said,I don't see how there's going to be anyone left for future movies. Iron Man is trying to retire, Cap is really out of place in the 21st century, Thor probably shouldn't leave Asgard any more after he figures out what happened to Loki, and the Hulk seems to have wrapped up all his problems in Avengers 1.Black Widow and Hawkeye deserve a film or two, but I was never too interested in them aside from "ooh, an ass and a bow". That just leaves the Guardians and Ant Man, the latter of which doesn't sound too promising.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Well, he's got a contract [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132886-Chris-Evans-Signed-for-Six-Marvel-Films] so I don't see him just vanishing from the universe.
The contract is for six films. We already know there will be three Captain America and at least two Avengers films. It seems likely, to say the least, that there will be a third Avengers film, unless they decide to have the Guardians sequel take it's place as a big crossover event. Either way, that's six films done, and Evans has said himself that he will not continue as Captain America once his contract is up in 2017. So yes, he absolutely will vanish from the universe, the only question is just how much of his arc will be tied off in his third solo film as opposed to the following ensemble one.