Captain America Beats Down Iron Man in First Civil War Trailer

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Also if the whole plot center on Winter Soldier, shouldn't he give himself up if he want to do the right thing or to not make it worse?
Brainwashing counts as mental duress. The law says you can't really be held accountable for your actions under such conditions. From Bucky's and Cap's perspective, they want Bucky dead for something he wasn't responsible for.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
After a whole movie with Iron Man fighting Cap, Cap dies at the end and Bucky takes the title that Steve Rogers left behind.

And then the mid-credits scene is going to involve Phil Coulson, implying to everyone that there might be a way to bring Steve Rogers back from the grave. Probably once the Guardians of the Galaxy get included into the mix, since they're going to need blood from a Kree alien.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
008Zulu said:
Scarim Coral said:
Also if the whole plot center on Winter Soldier, shouldn't he give himself up if he want to do the right thing or to not make it worse?
Brainwashing counts as mental duress. The law says you can't really be held accountable for your actions under such conditions. From Bucky's and Cap's perspective, they want Bucky dead for something he wasn't responsible for.
And with Jessica Jones they just spent an entire season on that exact topic.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I can agree with Stew on Bucky being the main thing feeling kind of weak. Now, I totally understand Captain America standing up for him and defending him--especially when those cops are coming in with orders to kill and not even attempt to take him alive. If Captain America explained the situation and they still come in guns blazing, even if Bucky says he's willing to surrender, then by all means, take them down.
But at the same time, if the government is calling for Bucky's arrest, then it's kind of hard for me to believe Captain America would not stand down. He'd support Bucky, sure, and fight on his behalf in court, but straight-out treason over it? Hm...I believe there's going to be a bit more revealed. The government over watch thing is probably a good start.

Love Iron Man's line, "So was I," because it just stings. It sums up everything that is wrong with the whole situation they've all found themselves in.

Wonder how Black Panther will play into all of this. Captain America is chasing him it seems, but why?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, looks like they will continue the tradition of the Captain America movies being really good. Nice.

I might be able to piece together who is on what side if I watched it a few time, but I think I'll wait till the movie comes out and not make guesses. I did spot Black Panther, Hawkeye and Scarlet Witch among the cast, though. I'm curious how this plays out.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Geez! With all the bromance hormones raging between Cap, Tony, and Bucky maybe it would be simpler for the three of them to just get a room! ;)

OT: Avengers 2.5 indeed.

I'm on board with this movie. Captain America is the only series in the Marvel movie universe that started off good and actually improved.

I don't buy that it will "just" be Cap defending Bucky that triggers the full blown Civil War. Certainly Hawkeye, Falcon and the Scarlet Witch will need motivation beyond "Hey, let's help Steve out! Nevermind that doing so will make us internationally wanted fugitives."

Given that we see Tony kneeling over a fallen Rhodey I speculate that whatever happened to Rhodey is the catalyst for Tony opposing Steve. It doesn't look like Tony wants to fight Steve and he already has a black eye (possibly from the fight that dropped Rhodey).

So Cap backs Bucky because he doesn't want him to be executed without due process and Tony is pro-registration due to whatever happened to Rhodey, then the whole situation goes to hell in a hand basket.

After wall, we are talking about comic book super heroes...

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Ldude893 said:
After a whole movie with Iron Man fighting Cap, Cap dies at the end and Bucky takes the title that Steve Rogers left behind.

And then the mid-credits scene is going to involve Phil Coulson, implying to everyone that there might be a way to bring Steve Rogers back from the grave. Probably once the Guardians of the Galaxy get included into the mix, since they're going to need blood from a Kree alien.
Either that or
The guardians find the Time infinity stone in their second movie, which is used in Infinity War to bring back Cap.

Seeing the red streaks in Ross's hair when it was almost straight white in the last movie, he looks younger......has he done something with Banner's research perhaps?

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Basement Cat said:
Given that we see Tony kneeling over a fallen Rhodey I speculate that whatever happened to Rhodey is the catalyst for Tony opposing Steve. It doesn't look like Tony wants to fight Steve and he already has a black eye (possibly from the fight that dropped Rhodey).

So Cap backs Bucky because he doesn't want him to be executed without due process and Tony is pro-registration due to whatever happened to Rhodey, then the whole situation goes to hell in a hand basket.

The background of that shot is the German airport that they were fighting in earlier in the trailer. They're already against each other before that point.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Taking a guess, granted with a lot of hope they don't make the mistakes the comics made: I don't think Bucky is the cause of this or the prime motivating factor, but rather Cap getting caught red handed. The comics rushed what was honestly a very divisive issue with no clear answer, but both sides doing very stupid things: IM giving in and using it as a platform for a small number of projects he'd had in mind, and Cap fighting back with no plan but resist until people stop being stupid.

A better plan for the movie would be Steve is unsure as to the right thing to do about government oversight in light of recent events, but is also aware that Bucky wouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt so keeps his deprograming sessions hidden, but gets found out and is charges with harboring a fugitive. Since he sees himself as protecting someone from getting executed unjustly, he fights back with better reason than the comics.

Sadly though that would probably end with Bucky surrendering instead of Cap, and the loss of probably the only good part to Civil war: Cap surrendering because he realized they were only fighting to fight, and even winning that wouldn't win the argument.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
medv4380 said:
The trailer seems to be going down a shoot vigilantes on site.
At the very least, with this instance where Bucky's wanted for some major-ass crimes.

Jburton9 said:
Also how in the world would rules breaking Tony Stark fit into that big thick rule book that was passed across the table there? I guess they needed Tony on the baddie team for awhile until the things become morally clear transition part of the film.
Stark has almost always been written as a conservative character, since that was basiclaly his intended design: a conservative written in an era where there was massive antipathy towards them, but who the liberals would cheer. Stark has been both small government and big government in his time.

And if we're just going on the movies (which we should, but I'm just saying), we've already established Tony Stark will do stupid things to try and make his last stupid thing right. It's totally in-character for him to sign up in grief/anger/responsibility mode.

008Zulu said:
Bucky may still feel guilt for his actions.

I get where you're coming from, but still.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
One in which the people who did the things still felt largely responsible.

Basement Cat said:

I don't know why we need theories. There was clearly already a rift in Age of Ramma Lamma Ding Dong. They actually fought--briefly--because of it. They already have grounds for opposition.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
One in which the people who did the things still felt largely responsible.
Oh absolutely.
Even Jessica finds out at some point she was no longer under his control but was still conditioned to obey, and ended up killing Riva without mind control (but still under conditioning). So she felt doubly responsible for Cage's wife after figuring that tidbit out.

My point was that they REALLY nailed the whole mental duress angle, and the effects of it, rape, PTSD and such, so damn well with that series, IMO. Horrible topics, but I thought it worked, and I have some personal experience with conditioning and PTSD as well as some other topics covered... (not mind control though).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
My point was that they REALLY nailed the whole mental duress angle, and the effects of it, rape, PTSD and such, so damn well with that series, IMO. Horrible topics, but I thought it worked, and I have some personal experience with conditioning and PTSD as well as some other topics covered... (not mind control though).
Yeeeeah, I've kind of dealt with a few of those things before as well. I ended up stopping the series several times while watching because while the specifics weren't hitting close to home, the responses were. If that makes sense. I had trouble putting into words how the show made me feel.

I suppose the real question is whether this is actually played with in the movies. So far, pretty much everyone in the MCU has been mindfucked on some level, and it's largely been remarked upon in jokes only.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Yeeeeah, I've kind of dealt with a few of those things before as well. I ended up stopping the series several times while watching because while the specifics weren't hitting close to home, the responses were. If that makes sense. I had trouble putting into words how the show made me feel.

I suppose the real question is whether this is actually played with in the movies. So far, pretty much everyone in the MCU has been mindfucked on some level, and it's largely been remarked upon in jokes only.
I have to question the same thing. I liked the comic aspect of MCU movies but after Daredevil and Jessica Jones, I really do want to see a bit more from the movies as well. And I also had to stop watching here and there for a bit for the same reasons, so it makes total sense to me. Also some of the experiment vids reminded me of horrible doctor visits as a child because of chronic migraines (still to this day, 30 years later, they have no idea why I get them).

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
008Zulu said:
Scarim Coral said:
That sounds like something from one of Ed Brubaker's issues of Captain America, and an issue of Mark Waid's Daredevil.