Car Accident Takes the Life of Actor Paul Walker

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
IceForce said:
Caffeine_Bombed said:
Hey you wanna be careful with that sort of language.
Apparently people are well within their rights to make jokes about a dead man but you call those people a naughty name? Oh you better believe that's a paddlin'!
Free speech for all or none at all...
I really do wish I had a dollar for every time someone on this forum misunderstands what "freedom of speech" means.

Freedom of speech has a very specific definition, and it has nothing to do with internet forums.
You might want to look it up.
And I wish I had a pound for every time I saw another user boast about their own knowledge for no obvious reason.
I imagine most people would understand how the term "free speech" was meant in this context, but why don't you explain why it's wrong? Why don't you explain the "true" definition so our fellow forum users don't make the same mistake?
I mean, clearly you're losing sleep over this sort of misunderstanding so surely everyone would benefit from your teachings.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Epic_Bubble said:
Super Not Cosmo said:
So, anyway, here's a pic of the accident scene courtesy of TMZ. Apparently that pile of rubble with a Porsche wheel in it is the car he died in.
As tragic as this story is a question needs to be raised..... How does billions of dollars into engineering for car safety and strength get beaten by the humble wood bearing tree? Is this GTA physics at work?

Geez the irony is strong
Trees are way more powerful than people think. You CAN NOT just run over them if you are going fast. The roots man, they will not give even in smaller trees.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Caffeine_Bombed said:
And I wish I had a pound for every time I saw another user boast about their own knowledge for no obvious reason.
I imagine most people would understand how the term "free speech" was meant in this context, but why don't you explain why it's wrong? Why don't you explain the "true" definition so our fellow forum users don't make the same mistake?
I mean, clearly you're losing sleep over this sort of misunderstanding so surely everyone would benefit from your teachings.
So you're saying you didn't bother to check you're using a term correctly before actually using it? Isn't that a bit lazy?

Alright, I'll humor you.

"Freedom of Speech" only refers to governmental censorship. It does NOT cover private businesses, premises, or websites (like this one).

If you went into a resturant, and started loudly saying all manner of offensive slurs, they would throw you out.
If you complained to them that they're infringing on your "freedom of speech" rights, they'd just laugh at you.

This website is no different.
It's a privately run website, and therefore reserves the right to remove comments or entire user accounts, for any reason, if they so desire.
"Freedom of speech" doesn't come into it.

Some reading for you, most notably, point number 3...
http://blog.valerieaurora.org/2012/03/10/what-free-speech-really-means/

"Freedom of speech" is not a phrase to throw around haphazardly in an attempt to look smart, because if it's used incorrectly it has the opposite effect.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Super Not Cosmo said:
So, anyway, here's a pic of the accident scene courtesy of TMZ. Apparently that pile of rubble with a Porsche wheel in it is the car he died in.

Well that's what happens when you drive a Porche at 9,001 miles per hour into a sapling. I've never seen anybody reduce a car to that state while driving the speed limit and following traffic laws, and unless there was a technical malfunction that held the gas down or something it's just the result of being stupid and reckless, which is something you would think wouldn't be a problem when you're about 40 years old and have a daughter. No sympathy, did something stupid, died stupidly. Or I guess in his case, failed to prevent friend from doing something stupid and died stupidly, either way he gambled with his life and lost.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
Phrozenflame500 said:
Josh Engen said:
Earlier today, actor Paul Walker, who is most recognizable from his work in The Fast and the Furious, died in a car accident in Southern California.
God dammit universe, stop making me laugh at people dying.

RIP
I'm a terrible person. My husband told me that he had died in a high speed crash in the middle of a store. I busted out laughing, sorry. For me it's kind of like Steve Irwin, it's sad, but the irony is just so strong.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
IceForce said:
Caffeine_Bombed said:
So you're saying you didn't bother to check you're using a term correctly before actually using it? Isn't that a bit lazy?

Alright, I'll humor you.

"Freedom of Speech" only refers to governmental censorship. It does NOT cover private businesses, premises, or websites (like this one).

If you went into a resturant, and started loudly saying all manner of offensive slurs, they would throw you out.
If you complained to them that they're infringing on your "freedom of speech" rights, they'd just laugh at you.

This website is no different.
It's a privately run website, and therefore reserves the right to remove comments or entire user accounts, for any reason, if they so desire.
"Freedom of speech" doesn't come into it.

Some reading for you, most notably, point number 3...
http://blog.valerieaurora.org/2012/03/10/what-free-speech-really-means/

"Freedom of speech" is not a phrase to throw around haphazardly in an attempt to look smart, because if it's used incorrectly it has the opposite effect.
An awful lot of assumptions you're making there. You obviously see examples of this incorrect usage quite frequently so I have to wonder if you bring this up with people a lot.
No, I've never stopped to consider or look up the 'proper' definition because I understand that language evolves over time and words and phrases can take on different meanings. But let's be fair, a lot of people who use the phrase in it's 'correct' context probably couldn't quote the above either.

I sincerely apologise if that original post offended you in some way and I understand, to some extent, that some people just need to make an example of others. But outside this forum you have no idea who I am so please don't insult my intelligence, my education or accuse me of laziness because you're more knowledgeable on a particular subject. Frankly, it has the opposite effect on you as well.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Epic_Bubble said:
Super Not Cosmo said:
As tragic as this story is a question needs to be raised..... How does billions of dollars into engineering for car safety and strength get beaten by the humble wood bearing tree? Is this GTA physics at work?

Geez the irony is strong
The Porsche Carrera GT is desribed as many professional race drivers as a very dangerous and unforgiving car, because it's very difficult to handle, and couple that with about 610 Horse Power, that's a recipe for disaster ( I can't vouch for the driver's skill level, but from the images, we can take a guess ).
We can both agree the speed was well above the limit and in this sort of car, even professionals can crash hard.
Also, they hit a light pole as well if I recall correctly and the car burst in flames, making the crash site look even worse.
What I want to say is that you can easily die the same way driving a Fiat. It's all about the driver..and this guy did some stupid shit and took Paul's life as well.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Reading these posts made me wonder, why people care so much about this guy just because he is their favorite actor? I tried, I really tried to think of a celebrity of anything I like dying, and feeling sad for his passing, and I cant figure a single one.

Sure, if a game developers, working on the games I am looking forward to, kick the bucket, I'd feel depressed, but mostly because I was looking forward to game that now is delayed. They offer entertainment, and that has value, but feeling intimate sadness for the passing of a particular individual? No. If you get such feeling, well more power to you, but frankly it seems kind of dumb.

And incidentally, if said game developers died in ironic manner, say skewered by a sword or something as silly as that, I will reserve the right chuckle despite feeling down.