Car vs. Computer

Xearo_Disaster

Apr 17, 2009
Genuinely haven't got a reason to have a car, personally. I live in a city so if there were any jobs available I'd work within walking distance. The only thing a car would be is a money vacuum. I would've - and did, for my 18th - pick a PC. Although I was going to uni, so mine was a laptop and closer to £600 than £1000.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
I never had or probably will ever have need for a car, so a good PC is the way to go for me. Obviuously, if you don't live in a city where everything is 45 minutes away on the bike at maximum, you probably should get the car.

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Hmmm, I'd have gone with the car. Driving is so much fun. It's a bit like a game, but: real! (And yes I realise that makes me sound like a terrible driver.)

Though generally I think: car = better job options, more cash, better gaming PC anyway.

Also, do you really need a top spec gaming PC to have gaming fun? I'd describe myself as a PC gamer, and all the bits in my PC can't be worth more than £450. It plays CoD fine though, and that's about as demanding as I need.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Unless a person really needs a car, not much point. Especially as a student. If you were only able to buy a $1000 car, you would have got shit and had to spend 5 times that on repairing it every other month, plus insurance and gas. Cars are bloody expensive.

Plus, you're 17 (well 18 now) but still living at home right? Borrow the parent's car.

MuzzleFlash

Sep 10, 2010
They're both depreciating assets, perhaps the computer moreso, so financially I doubt it makes any difference. Though the car then has to be taxed/insured/fueled.

Anyway, my car cost me £1300 (Jan 08) and my PC £1500 (Sept 09). I can honestly say the car has given me an immeasurably greater amount of enjoyment, but it's very circumstantial.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
1. I live in Kansas City, Missouri. There is a HUGE urban sprawl here. All I could do without one would be stay home. This is the first reason I would have gone with the car. You might live somewhere where this is not necessary.
2. My fondest memories, even the gaming ones, happened with other people. Playing Super Smash Bros. at a friend's house. Driving to the local arcade for Tekken tournaments. Driving my happy ass over to a lan party to play WoW, or Minecraft or whatever. These are just the gaming memories. I also have memories of dates, driving my best friend to school every morning. Ditching class to see Princess Mononoke in the Theater my Junior year of High School. Those sort of things.
3. Money. When I turned 16 the first thing I did was get a job as a dishwasher at a local Mexican restaurant. The pay was slightly above minimum wage, but it covered insurance, dates, games and what have you. Yes you can find a job without a car, but it is harder unless you live in a city with good public transportation or if you live within close walking distance of an employer.
4. Girls. Heh, where would my love life be in High School without the "Dick Tank" (My name is Richard and it was a 1984 LTD Crown Vic. Huge metal boat of a car) From picking up girls on dates to parking on the back roads and unfinished cul de sacs of Raymore I used my car. Quite a few of my first happened in the car, or happened because I had that freedom.
5. The Freedom. I don't know how short of a leash your parents have on you, but within a year of having my car I was working, keeping my grades up and still finding time for Theatre, Choir and Band. They viewed this as maturity and the rest of my upbringing was pretty laissez faire. It allowed my a lot more free reign and I was able to get away with quite a bit more.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
The number of daily options you have increases significantly when you have a car. You don't have to worry about needing a ride to get to a friend's house or about needing to ask your parents to drive you to the store to get something. You can just get up and go, assuming you have the time. A gaming PC is great fun, but a car is more useful.

pilkman

Sep 15, 2010
PC was a good choice, you can end up putting on a lot of weight getting a car and not walking anywhere.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
bojackx said:
So escapists, which you would prefer: a Gaming PC of approximately £1000 ($1600ish) value, or a car of similar value?
At the age of 17/18, I probably would have chosen the car.

Today, at 26, the computer.

I just don't use my car. It's most useful when I'm in a pinch and missed the bus. I'm in an area where I can walk to pick up my groceries, public transportation is pretty good, and everything else I can get through Amazon.com if I want.

The most miles I put on my car are actually driving to my relatives, who insist on living in the middle of bumfuck nowhere (and who never visit me!). For Thanksgiving I put about 50 miles on it in a day, and on birthdays I can put upwards of 120 miles on it in a single day. However, even that will drop like a stone since I'm looking for graduate schools out of state.

98% of the time, I put less than 10 miles on it a month.

The result? I'm paying $440/year for car insurance and maybe $10/mo in gas to visit members of my family who can't stop asking if I'm "still dating that mixed gal."

Some people need cars more than others, but right now, I could easily get by without a car and have an extra $500 to spend on fancy cheeses or pants.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Are you kiddin' me, a PC is way better. Speaking as a complete and utter nerd-loser-n00b-fag, I'd say fuck these carbon-dispensing trolleys - the pc's way better! I love my PC, and I wouldn't trade it for the most expensive car in the world... Okay, I would, but that's only because I'll sell the car afterwards and buy 500 PC's of the same equivalent... Or 5, but made by Alienware. Yeah, that's what I am talking about!

Plus I like commuting, it's fun. The only use I can find for a car, is when I am too lazy to go to the Sainsbury's a few blocks away, and I don't want to strain my pussy-ass hands carying bags, so that's when the car would come in handy. But other than that, I'd say it's utterly useless, especially with all the traffic jams and stuff - subway rules!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Depends a lot on for example life situation.
Many of my friends who live a bit out of town would pick the car any day (most of them have a car) while me who live pretty close to everything (10 min bike ride during winter) to most places. I think I would've gotten the PC.
A PC worth 1500 will last for some while and as you already mentioned it doesn't take up 1000 insurance money every year + gas.
But as I said first, pretty much depends on person you're talkig to.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I'd definitely prefer the PC. 23 and I've still yet to own a car. Even being able to afford one myself, and occasionally wishing I had one, it's still not something I consider worth the costs.

But even more importantly, I'd rather have parents who arbitrarily gave me a ton of money on my 17th birthday...

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Completely dependant on where you live.

For me, a Car would be practically useless (Living in a city with some of the best public transport in the world.) And the running costs here in the UK are insanely high.

But A powerful computer would make some of the things I do much easier and more fun. So yeah, I'd probably have taken the computer.

Plus, you can't drink if you have to drive. Bus? No problem.

M4t3us

Oct 13, 2009
And I now feel the taste of smug superiority in owning both a Car which I bought brand new, payed upfront, a decent Laptop for gaming and a Netbook, both of which I payed with my money upfront, and I'm only 25! Woooot! Maybe if I hadn't alienated my parents when I turned 20 I might have gotten some financial aid in those investments but heh... I wouldn't trade the life I lead for family acceptance.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Rainmaker77 said:
Sampler said:
Car - sooner you start paying insurance the quicker the cost reduces and your no claims build up (presuming you DON'T drive like a dick).

My gaming PC cost three time that of my car - I didn't start driving till I was 30 and really wish I'd done it at 17 (instead of buying a component hifi with the money).

You may not regret it now, but in a decade..
Insurance will go down a lot just due to age. Assuming you've already passed your test (I assume OP has) just being 21, and then 25 will decrease the cost a ton, with no claims simply aiding that.

You could easily not drive until 25 (assuming you passed your test at 17/18), and would have much cheaper insurance than a 20 year old with several years no claims.

I would say though that if you can't drive yet, don't buy you own car - learn to drive in your parents, and then a driving instructors. I am firmly of the opinion that learning to drive as young as possible is the best way to go, even if you tend to be more reckless as a 'kid'.
Missed an important word out there - but not much, my insurance being 30 is about the same as some of the kids at work, it may go down quicker but still, earlier you start the better off you'll be.

satanslawer123

Aug 6, 2009
id rather have the gaming pc theres more enjoyment out of it. and i rather cycle to where i want to go cars are just expensive

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I would've picked the car because driving is one of my greatest passions (I already presume that's not the case for you so my post is subjective thus useless) . Also it could be extremely useful, but it depends on where you live and your lifestyle.

I love my car :]

Edit: Still..you would need to have a shitload of luck to find a good car at that price range

jj90

Oct 24, 2008
a PC as cost of running a car for that age guy in the UK is about £4000 excluding car cost