Cards Against Humanity Sold Poop, and People Actually Bought It

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
I just love it! They honestly said they are selling shit and people bought it because of their brand. And now they are selling the same shit at a higher price because of the fact they bought shit from a known brand. It scary how easily one can manipulate people especially "trained" consumers. Talk about selling refrigerators to the "Eskimos" (Inuits).

Please somebody tell me that they refrained from buying shit after they heard about this "stunt", otherwise I will loose all hope for humanity.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Ajarat said:
NickBrahz said:
You know its essentially just dried grass compacted together? didn't you ever throw dried cow/bull shit at your friends in a poop fight?
Farm raised, so yes I do know. I've also thrown / had been hit with Horse-shit, sheep-shit, and cow-shit. In fact, frozen cow-pies make great Frisbees, and if you can stack them well enough you can sit on shit. It can also make great fuel for fire in the early morning before one bucks up a cord of wood.

Citified people are such pussies. I can't wait for the power to go out, we'll be rid of a lot of useless people when that happens, for they won't know how to survive without a super-market. Natural Selection on a huge-scale!
Yes... Quite true... Gotta laugh at the rich people or those with desk jobs calling the poor parasites, when in some ways pretty much 99% of society is really just leeching off the work of farmers.

(And in ancient societies would have been regarded as just that; Parasites)

Granted, I'm one of these people, but it amuses me no end how self-important some people think they are when in reality their continued existence, and ability to spend all their time doing what they do is all down to some farmers somewhere providing them with food. (Yes, yes. they 'pay' for things, but this only balances it out in an abstract sense... XD)

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Um, are you saying I didn't know about the clear warning they gave?
I was more just highlighting that this wasn't even a "discrete" warning. They couldn't have made it more blatant, and STILL people were dumb enough to think it wasn't what they kept saying it was. So I feel a hell of a lot less sympathy for those who bought it out of ignorance than the ebay box victims.

Ajarat said:
NickBrahz said:
You know its essentially just dried grass compacted together? didn't you ever throw dried cow/bull shit at your friends in a poop fight?
Farm raised, so yes I do know. I've also thrown / had been hit with Horse-shit, sheep-shit, and cow-shit. In fact, frozen cow-pies make great Frisbees, and if you can stack them well enough you can sit on shit. It can also make great fuel for fire in the early morning before one bucks up a cord of wood.

Citified people are such pussies. I can't wait for the power to go out, we'll be rid of a lot of useless people when that happens, for they won't know how to survive without a super-market. Natural Selection on a huge-scale!
Sure, because who would even want the potential cure for age-related blindness that might come out of my research, eh? Or those guys working to develop a treatment for the ebola epidemic, useless lot.

Honestly...that "natural selection" argument is absurd. Socially we're beyond the point of individual dependence. I'm somewhat reminded of a Blackadder quote here:
"To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to 'other people', wasn't it?"

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
CrystalShadow said:
...their continued existence, and ability to spend all their time doing what they do is all down to some farmers somewhere providing them with food.
Whose ability to eat is down to someone else making the tools they use to grow food. Whose ability to make tools is down to someone else mining the metal.

Not everyone can, or should, be a farmer.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
ForumSafari said:
CrystalShadow said:
...their continued existence, and ability to spend all their time doing what they do is all down to some farmers somewhere providing them with food.
Whose ability to eat is down to someone else making the tools they use to grow food. Whose ability to make tools is down to someone else mining the metal.

Who in turn can only do that because of the farmers... Farmers came first. Everything else was of necessity originally just a hobby someone had.

That's not to say we should still be thinking like that now, but some people really need some perspective.

People can still farm with improvised tools they made themselves. All these other activities (including the making of more advanced farming tools) are only possible after you reach a situation where farmers can make more food than they need themselves.

Before that, it would be quite impossible for anyone to dedicate their time exclusively to anything else.

eugaet

Jul 13, 2009
I bought the poop knowing full well it was likely just poop. I did so because CAH is really great about doing something amazing with the profits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cards_Against_Humanity#Philanthropy). And they delivered yet again (not just talking about the poop).

I'm a little disappointed there was only $0.20 profit per unit, but I guess I don't know the current marketplace value for poop or how much it cost to produce each box (which is a really nice box, apparently made by the same factory that does all the packaging for Apple...the box is sitting on my desk at home, the poop is in the garden). Also: shipping/handling.

Overall, I have no regrets.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm pretty sure this is a subtle statement on the whole Black Friday holiday itself.

Either way, ew for the factory people who have put it in or did they had lines of people pooping into the box? Either way, it must of been smelling!

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
What I'm most surprised at is that people are buying shit for a 500% markup.

Ark of the Covetor said:
Yes! Why have a society based on learning and expanding our knowledge of reality, and using that knowledge to expand our access to enjoyable things, when we could live in a society run by people who know what it feels like to be hit by multiple different types of animal shit and can finally answer that great philosophical question; how many cowpats does it take to make a seat? I'm convinced, bring on the Pootopia!

Also, probably not a good idea to talk about natural selection while boasting about throwing/being hit by giant chunks of disease vector.
This is the funniest thing I've read all day.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Lightspeaker said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
Um, are you saying I didn't know about the clear warning they gave?
I was more just highlighting that this wasn't even a "discrete" warning. They couldn't have made it more blatant, and STILL people were dumb enough to think it wasn't what they kept saying it was. So I feel a hell of a lot less sympathy for those who bought it out of ignorance than the ebay box victims.
Oh, ok. Sorry, I didn't know exactly what you were going for in your post. I'm just getting so worked up about buying people a box of poop when I could just go up to my uncle's farm and get some cow pies (not authentic bull droppings but close) and donate 100 times the amount that would have gone to the charity if I bought a box.
Spot1990 said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
This company (or at least its PR department) seems like the bunch pretentious SJWs we are getting quite tired of hearing about with all its anti-Black Friday banter and paper supplier switching.
Is there anything that can't be blamed on the SJW boogeyman?
Nope, it's the latest scapegoat generalization phrase that everyone likes to sling around. As much as I don't like that term, I'm guilty of using it a few times.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
ForumSafari said:
CrystalShadow said:

Who in turn can only do that because of the farmers... Farmers came first. Everything else was of necessity originally just a hobby someone had.

That's not to say we should still be thinking like that now, but some people really need some perspective.

People can still farm with improvised tools they made themselves. All these other activities (including the making of more advanced farming tools) are only possible after you reach a situation where farmers can make more food than they need themselves.

Before that, it would be quite impossible for anyone to dedicate their time exclusively to anything else.
Hunters and Gatherers came first. Farming only came about when they realized they was doing it the hard way. When they could give the job to one or two farmers and focus on what they wanted to do, everything else grew from that. In that aspect, farmers are just people who couldn't think of anything else to do with their time when everyone else went to do other things.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
Armadox said:
CrystalShadow said:
ForumSafari said:
CrystalShadow said:

Hunters and Gatherers came first. Farming only came about when they realized they was doing it the hard way. When they could give the job to one or two farmers and focus on what they wanted to do, everything else grew from that. In that aspect, farmers are just people who couldn't think of anything else to do with their time when everyone else went to do other things.
Lol. Well, yes. Obviously that's true. But if you couldn't convince anyone to do the farming, the rest of us would've been completely out of luck. It is a luxury afforded by there being someone else who is both willing and able to provide you with food that it's possible for you to be doing anything other than worrying about where your next meal is coming from.