Care to recommend me some more Indie Games?

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
I have played a ton of Indie Games. And even kept some of the best and most polished ones as timeless gaming experiences. With that said, I am at a loss in trying to find more diamonds in the rough since I've exhausted my usual sources as of now. Care to suggest me what you might consider one, if not the best, indie game you loved?

I'll list my most favorite indie games as references but I doubt you can find a pattern other than close interpretations. And I hope my list also helps you find new gems for your gaming collection.

An Untitled Story
Bastion
Braid
Cave Story+
Faster Than Light
Frozen Synapse
Half Minute Hero
Hotline Miami
Limbo
Lone Survivor
Mark of the Ninja
Plants VS Zombies
Sine Mora
Super Meat Boy
Terraria
The Binding of Isaac
The Cave
Thomas Was Alone
WARP

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I suggest to you Orcs must die! 2. This is my game of the year as in it's always a blast every time I play it. Also, Defender's Quest is a very close second. Either way if you like Indy games I doubt those 2 will dissapoint you.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I would highly recommend To The Moon. Its... not quite a game as such, as it contains relatively little gameplay. However, it has got one of the best done stories I've ever seen in the entirety of media.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Well, I wouldn't call them the best indie games, but I'll list some of my favourites and most played.

Eufloria and Oil Rush: These two are very similar in their approach to RTS. It's node based instead, having several asteroids or platforms respectively that can then produce units without manual input. Defense is also centered on these asteroids/platforms. Eufloria lacks multiplayer but has an awesome modding community. Oil Rush has more strategy and multiplayer, but sadly no one to play with.

Fate of the World: Card-based TBS, where you're in charge of guiding the world through climate changes and financial crises by implementing all sort of policies across the 12 regions that the world is divided into, in the game. It's a very, very difficult game, because things can easily snowball on you, if you're not careful.

EDGE: A puzzler, where you control a cube that you have to guide through a series of increasingly challenging level.

Solar 2: Not sure what genre I'd describe this as. You start of by controlling a tiny asteroids and can evolve into a black hole at the end. Has lots of challenges along the way.

Osmos: Another game about absorbing stuff, though here you start as a single celled organism, but instead of evolving, you just get bigger.

Machinarium: Cute little adventure game. Has a very charming visual design for the robots and their city.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP: Another adventure game. Has beautiful pixel art and a quirky set of humour. The music is also great in this game.

Hope that's of some use, I quite enjoyed all of the above, I hope you will as well.

Nonomori

Nov 20, 2012
I assume you are talking about PC games, right?

If you liked Braid and Limbo, I highly recommend Closure. I already gushed about it, here:

Nonomori said:
I had so much fun with Closure. Challenging level design, creative art style, amazing soundtrack, everything fits in this game. If you're a puzzle fan and have a PS3 or PC, go buy it, you won't regret it. I hope.

Gurgleflob

Jun 29, 2012
Thomas Was Alone! Go get Thomas Wa-

Mirroga said:
Thomas Was Alone
... Dammit.

Go play Euflori-

Sp3ratus said:
Shit.

Oh i know! Go play Antichamber. It's a really cool first person puzzler.

http://www.antichamber-game.com/

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Ok your list contains a lot of stuff I love so try these....

La-Mulana - It's a metroidvania style game with a lot of tough puzzles and combat and a great atmosphere. GOG have it.

Closure - Just pretty clever and someone already poster about it up there^

The Bridge - Just came out, interesting puzzle game along the lines of Echochrome

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
sideview platformer

Gun Girl 2 (freeware)
Noitu Love 2
VVVVV
Fortune Sumoners Deluxe (2d metriodvania, meets super smash bros brawl combat with great AI meets Dark Souls Lite)
Bunny Must Die
Dust Force
They Bleed Pixels

shmup
Jamestown (best noob shmup to get into the 1 Credit Clear)
Exceed 3rd BP
Ether Vapor
Heaven's Variant (Einhander clone in development)
Blue Wish Resurrection Plus & Eden's Aegis (freeware)
Hydorah (freeware)

Adventure/ rpg
the 3 Ys games on steam
Half minute Hero

Hybrid / misc
FTL
Xotic (very unique shmup-esk score attack FPS)
Acceleration of Sugari
Recettear
Might & Magic Clash of Heroes
Aquaria
Croixleur
Eryi's Action (cute I wanna be the guy clone)
Bit trip series

The

Jan 24, 2012
VVVVVV
Bit Trip Runner (2nd one coming soon)
And Yet It Moves
Amnesia: Dark Descent

THere's another interesting one called Monaco, a top down co-op heist game, coming out in spring.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
I'll recommend Dungeons of dredmor. It's a rouge-like game developed by gaslamp games. It's really hard and has a lot of humor in it.

Also, Terraria is getting an other update soon :)

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I'd suggest Vessel myself.

Quite a nice puzzle platformer. You do need to use your head, and you're not going to just get hints, either.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Don't starve [http://www.dontstarvegame.com/], currently in beta(alpha?) they update it quite frequently with some cool stuff. The only purpose is to survive the wildlife.

If you have some friends to play with, Dungeon Defenders [http://store.steampowered.com/app/65800/], tower defence mixed in with heroes defence

Lastly, if by some freak chance you haven't tried it, Dwarf Fortress [http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/]

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
I recommend Stealth Bastard. It's a free stealth platformer, with some elemets of Super Meat Boy and the old Metal Gear. If that sounds interesting, you have no excuse not to try it out :D

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Da Orky Man said:
I would highly recommend To The Moon. Its... not quite a game as such, as it contains relatively little gameplay. However, it has got one of the best done stories I've ever seen in the entirety of media.
This isn't just seconded, but ultra-seconded. This game made me laugh my arse off, then cry my eyes out. The characters are wonderfully relatable and likeable but ultimately very flawed. The game may have had more of impact on me because one of the main characters, who the crux of the plot is focused on, reminded me a lot of my girlfriend but it's still a wonderfully written experience.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Legend of Grimrock - If you want a challenging and immersive old-school dungeon crawling experience with modern graphics, give this game a try. It also has official modding tools and a modding community so there's plenty of replay value to it.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Glaber said:
Does Amnesia: The Dark Descent counts as an indie game?
Yes...
Evil Smurf said:
Does minecraft count?
Sorta.

OT- Just play the games out of The Basement Collection. If you're sadistic, play Nethack or Dwarf Fortress. Good games I tell you!