Carnage Shows a Change of Character in Marvel's Axis Event

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lame. I always loved Carnage and I never cared about any of the characters he was associated with. His psychotic evil is what got me into comic books in the first place, because it seem so different to everything else.

I mean look at this. I adore this crazy art

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DrunkenElfMage said:
BUT the idea of someone who lacks a conscience trying everything they can do to get one is pretty fascinating to me. No body WANTS to be a psychopath, so it seems like an obvious storyline to explore to try to give the character some much needed depth.
I'm no expert but isn't what defines a socio/psychopath the fact that they CAN'T empathize with people? Their minds are detached from society and any form of conscience, they care only for themselves, that's what i've read at least.

Having Carnage turn 'good' is like taking Bruce Banner's capacity to get mad away, it under mines every thing about the character.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
slimbiggins said:
Isn't this just Dexter?
That what I thought of too!

Also who is the new Carnage host anyway? Last time I've check it was a woman.
Still Kasidy, he was temporarily separated from the symbiote. The symbiote latched onto that woman and used her as a vehicle to break itself out and get to where Kasidy was held, all in all it was like five or six pages.
But the woman is now the host of Carnage's baby.

I think the whole trying to make Carnage into a hero is incredibly stupid, but I suspect it's just a cover-up thing and part of Red Skull's plan to convince the public of being the good guys or something.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
PunkRex said:
DrunkenElfMage said:
BUT the idea of someone who lacks a conscience trying everything they can do to get one is pretty fascinating to me. No body WANTS to be a psychopath, so it seems like an obvious storyline to explore to try to give the character some much needed depth.
I'm no expert but isn't what defines a socio/psychopath the fact that they CAN'T empathize with people? Their minds are detached from society and any form of conscience, they care only for themselves, that's what i've read at least.

Having Carnage turn 'good' is like taking Bruce Banner's capacity to get mad away, it under mines every thing about the character.
Even if they can't empathize with people doesn't mean they can't recognize that they have a problem. Plenty of Sociopaths live healthy normal lives because they train themselves enough to mimic and copy emotional connections. Carnage seems to want to do that, but he is very likely brain damaged, so he has no idea of how to go about doing that. The comic will probably be that struggle.

Every time I hear the phrase "it undermines everything about the character" I cringe, because usually the complaint is attached to something completely superficial. Don't worry about Carnage, in a few issues, he will probably go back to being the irredeemable psycho we know and love, but for right now we actually see him change a little bit so that we can work some interesting stories and struggles out of him. If it DOESN'T change back, that means that Carnage Hero edition is way more interesting to write stories about, and you'll have to rely on the hundreds of Carnage comics that came before the change to get your evil person fix.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
How is Carnage still around at all? Has no hero tried to kill it and make it stick? Yes, I remember The Sentry ripping Carnage in half and throwing the two pieces into orbit, but he somehow got better. Many of Marvel's heroes have shown being willing to kill, and done it, yet they still disdain The Punisher.

COMICS! ARE! WEIRD! AND! GROSS!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
DrunkenElfMage said:
PunkRex said:

Even if they can't empathize with people doesn't mean they can't recognize that they have a problem. Plenty of Sociopaths live healthy normal lives because they train themselves enough to mimic and copy emotional connections. Carnage seems to want to do that, but he is very likely brain damaged, so he has no idea of how to go about doing that. The comic will probably be that struggle.

Every time I hear the phrase "it undermines everything about the character" I cringe, because usually the complaint is attached to something completely superficial. Don't worry about Carnage, in a few issues, he will probably go back to being the irredeemable psycho we know and love, but for right now we actually see him change a little bit so that we can work some interesting stories and struggles out of him. If it DOESN'T change back, that means that Carnage Hero edition is way more interesting to write stories about, and you'll have to rely on the hundreds of Carnage comics that came before the change to get your evil person fix.
I suppose... although I don't read Spiderman, it just seemed like a weird move to me, DERP!

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Darth_Payn said:
How is Carnage still around at all? Has no hero tried to kill it and make it stick? Yes, I remember The Sentry ripping Carnage in half and throwing the two pieces into orbit, but he somehow got better. Many of Marvel's heroes have shown being willing to kill, and done it, yet they still disdain The Punisher.

COMICS! ARE! WEIRD! AND! GROSS!
Oh they have multiple times, thing is he seems to be immortal.
The last two attempts was Scarlet Spider stabbing him through the brain, that resulted in Kasidy being brain dead for a while, while the symbiote kept him alive.
Then recently this guy suffocated Kasidy while he was separated from the symbiote, which then went and just brought him back to life although he was dead for like a day or something.

It's my theory that Carnage is so fucking crazy, he just crazies himself to life. Seriously, he's survived more definite perma deaths than most Superheroes.