Carrie Fisher Will Spend Six Months Filming Star Wars: Episode VII

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Bad Jim said:
Adzma said:
I keep telling myself that these new films can't possibly be worse than the prequels, but the more I hear about them the less I'm convinced that will be true.
The prequels establish Anakin as having killed an entire Tusken village when he found out that they killed his mother, and that he officially turned to the dark side believing he would save Padme. He clearly loses all self control when the people close to him are threatened. This makes Palpatine look like a complete idiot during the climax of Return of the Jedi, when he not only tortures and nearly kills his son in front of him, but does so after dismissing the idea that Anakin would do anything about it.

At least a trilogy set after the originals won't ruin them. At least, no more than the prequels did.
Or he was testing Anakin/Vader's subservience to him by pushing his final line, with a handy potential replacement on hand in Luke. His plan is flawed though, as he's very reliant on his force mastery to the point of ignoring petty mundane threats, and Vader ignores all that opting to instead just take the mundane option of picking him up and throwing him in the hole.

Granted, that line of thought is probably entirely coincidental in occurrence.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
If I never saw another light saber again, I'd die a happy man. There is more to Star Wars than light sabers and the force. Can we maybe try exploring THAT a little bit? Please?
Good god I know what you mean. I actually allowed myself to get excited about Star Wars Rebels when I heard it was about the first formation of the Rebellion, thinking we'd just get a nice little bit of classic X-Wing/TIE fighter dogfight action, but then what do they show?

More. Goddamn. Lightsabers

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Squilookle said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
If I never saw another light saber again, I'd die a happy man. There is more to Star Wars than light sabers and the force. Can we maybe try exploring THAT a little bit? Please?
Good god I know what you mean. I actually allowed myself to get excited about Star Wars Rebels when I heard it was about the first formation of the Rebellion, thinking we'd just get a nice little bit of classic X-Wing/TIE fighter dogfight action, but then what do they show?

More. Goddamn. Lightsabers
I think it is time to accept it. The average Star Wars fan eats it up. I suppose it is the expanded universe to blame.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Give me my Grand Admiral Thrawn and maybe we'll talk Disney.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
You left out how Leia also marries Han, has twins and then a third child, loses two of her three children--one of them becoming a Sith no less--and becomes a fully realized Jedi.

I really hope Disney finds a way to not completely invalidate nearly twenty years of Star Wars works (forty plus+ years in-universe), but the more I hear about these new movies, the more faith I lose. I suppose they can be good--although making the first movie about Luke, Han, and Leia is not a good sign to me--but I'm just bummed that characters that I grew up with will no longer exist in Star Wars. I like Jaina, Tenel Ka, Mara Jade, and all the others.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
You left out how Leia also marries Han, has twins and then a third child, loses two of her three children--one of them becoming a Sith no less--and becomes a fully realized Jedi.

I really hope Disney finds a way to not completely invalidate nearly twenty years of Star Wars works (forty plus+ years in-universe), but the more I hear about these new movies, the more faith I lose. I suppose they can be good--although making the first movie about Luke, Han, and Leia is not a good sign to me--but I'm just bummed that characters that I grew up with will no longer exist in Star Wars. I like Jaina, Tenel Ka, Mara Jade, and all the others.
If they get rid of Kyle Katarn or Revan and HK-47 from the canon I will be a very unhappy man.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
CriticKitten said:
I wasn't bashing the fanboys, not directly. I was pointing out, that no matter how good the movie will be, it will be overshadowed by the EU fanboys crying foul because it eradicates 25 years of their lives.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Infernai said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

If they get rid of Kyle Katarn or Revan and HK-47 from the canon I will be a very unhappy man.
I never understood the love that Kyle gets, but I certainly understand your fear over losing him. I think Revan and HK-47 will be safe because they are from the 'prequel' era--or at least so far ahead in the timeline that, unless the movie goes out of its way to contradict the games, they will still exist. Kyle though, since a lot of his shining moments come during and after the original trilogy (and he's never mentioned in the actual films) is probably in just as much danger as all the other characters. What of Wedge, and his adventures with Rogue and then Wraith Squadrons? To find out that all of those 'never happened' will be a great loss.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
No matter what they do with her, I feel like they're going to fall short on showing how Leia has evolved as a character. They might do a pretty good job, but after reading the Expanded Universe so long ago, it's hard to change gears like that.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Lot of negative Nancies in this thread.

Geez. Ease up with the doomsday prophesies and just wait and see.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Infernai said:
Sniper Team 4 said:

I never understood the love that Kyle gets, but I certainly understand your fear over losing him. I think Revan and HK-47 will be safe because they are from the 'prequel' era--or at least so far ahead in the timeline that, unless the movie goes out of its way to contradict the games, they will still exist. Kyle though, since a lot of his shining moments come during and after the original trilogy (and he's never mentioned in the actual films) is probably in just as much danger as all the other characters. What of Wedge, and his adventures with Rogue and then Wraith Squadrons? To find out that all of those 'never happened' will be a great loss.
I imagine that a lot of people will have to go through their "Ahsoka Tano" moments. I had to when the Clone Wars series was placed at a higher level of canon than the excellent Dark Horse series. Yeah, I was bitter for awhile until I realized I still have my graphic novels/comics/novels. No matter what Leland Chee or anyone else says, official canon doesn't have to be anything other than what I believe it to be. Everything else is, to my mind, an Infinities. Thusly, to me, the Clone Wars animated series is an Infinities and the Dark Horse series is the official canon.

I'm not saying this to condescend. I'm saying it because it's pretty likely that much, if not all, of the EU canon is about to be flushed down a dark hole. However, that doesn't have to be a great loss nor do you have to get bitter that Jar Jar Binks will forever be a part of the canon while Kyle Katarn will probably be dropped.

Okay, maybe you can be a little bitter over that.

Still, if the movies are better, make those your new official canon. If they aren't, then just look at the movies as Infinities and the books/comics as your official canon. Either way, don't let the past color how you feel about the future.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Ahh I hope they throw us some nice curve balls like Leia turned to the dark side and became the next new emperor, Luke got depressed and turned to booze and death sticks while Solo and Lando came out and married. Also with a little luck they will show, every half-hour, Jar Jar Bink's languishing in a Sarlacc pit. Now that I'd watch!