Carrie Fisher Won't be In Episode IX After All

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Carrie Fisher Won't be In Episode IX After All

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1025/1025041.jpg
Contrary to what Fisher's brother said earlier, Lucasfilm has confirmed that the actress won't be appearing in Episode IX in any form.

Last week, Carrie Fisher's brother Todd Fisher said that he had given Lucasfilm his blessing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170025-Star-Wars-Episode-IX-Will-Feature-Carrie-Fisher-Not-as-CGI] to use footage of his sister in order to bring the Leia character to life in Star Wars Episode IX. But now, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy is saying that Leia will not feature in Episode IX at all.

In an interview with ABC news (via The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-carrie-fisher-will-not-appear-episode-ix-994204?utm_source=Direct&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral]), Kennedy said "Sadly, Carrie will not be in nine, but we will see a lot of her in [Episode VIII]." Responding to Todd Fisher's earlier comments, Kennedy said that he was "confused" and didn't know the full story.

"Both [Billy Lourd and I] were like, 'Yes, how do you take [Carrie Fisher] out of it?' And the answer is, you don't," Todd Fisher said.

So it looks like The Last Jedi, which had its first trailer drop today [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170105-Star-Wars-The-Last-Jedi-Teaser-Trailer#&gid=gallery_7213&pid=1], will also be the last hoorah for Carrie Fisher.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-carrie-fisher-will-not-appear-episode-ix-994204?utm_source=Direct&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral]

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i hope at least they will release the footage as a last hooray to an incredible actress and activist who did amazing things to destigmatise bipolar disorder

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Well just because blessing was given doesn't mean they have to act upon it. When she passed away the original article said they were scrambling to rewrite the script to IX so that it could play out without Leia. Gotta say it'd probably be easier - or at least better - to do that than to try and mold the movie around out-of-context scenes featuring Leia.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Which raises the question, what will happen to the character of Princess Leia? Will she die between movies? Will they come up with some reason as to why she's not present in IX that doesn't feel completely out of place? This is not an easy position to be in.

I hear we're getting a lot of her in VIII, so I'm hoping that we get to see General Leia in action. What a fitting final send off for the Princess who took charge of her own rescue when the boys couldn't figure it out.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Which raises the question, what will happen to the character of Princess Leia? Will she die between movies? Will they come up with some reason as to why she's not present in IX that doesn't feel completely out of place? This is not an easy position to be in.

I hear we're getting a lot of her in VIII, so I'm hoping that we get to see General Leia in action. What a fitting final send off for the Princess who took charge of her own rescue when the boys couldn't figure it out.
My guess is she will be Mon Mothma-ing it. Ya know somehow the leader of the ENTIRE rebellion but in only like, one scene in the original trilogy.

Not like she is an actual Jedi and going to be dueling her son.

I guess the real sad part story-wise is we cant expect any potential moments between the two.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
pookie101 said:
i hope at least they will release the footage as a last hooray to an incredible actress and activist who did amazing things to destigmatise bipolar disorder
I would guess that Episode VIII not releasing until Christmas the amount of filming she had done for Episode IX would have been minimal at best. Officially it hasn't started filming at all.

I am certainly glad they won't be using the CGI stretched over a motion capture technique that appeared in Rogue One. I wouldn't want Fisher's last screen credit to both posthumous and as unsettling as it inevitably would be.

I would hope that Episode IX begins with some kind of memorial for Princess Leia, given how central she was to the franchise she can't just disappear.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
I would hope that the opening crawl of Episode IX begins with the announcement of Princess Leia's death from natural causes and the film open with some kind of funeral. People die all the time after all, even in Star Wars.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I would hope that the opening crawl of Episode IX begins with the announcement of Princess Leia's death from natural causes and the film open with some kind of funeral. People die all the time after all, even in Star Wars.
Out of all the suggestions I have heard so far, this one sounds the most plausible. I hope you have it right, because that would be a touching way to say goodbye to a beloved character and the lady that brought her to life--having the entire universe hold a funeral for her.