Cars 3 Teaser Trailer Released

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Cars 3 Teaser Trailer Released

<youtube=E4K7JgPJ8-s>

We may never escape this cash cow of a franchise.

I don't think it's controversial to say that the two Cars movies rank among the least liked when we talk about films made by Pixar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pixar]. Of course, that sentiment comes from adults. Kids - especially younger kids - love the things. The merchandise sells like hot cakes, the home video releases do really well, and the box office take has averaged around $500 million worldwide through two installments. It's no wonder that, regardless of the adult fanbase's disdain for them, Pixar is intent on continuing to make them.

Today, the teaser trailer for Cars 3 dropped. It showcases a segment of a race in which Lightning McQueen (voice of Owen Wilson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/owen+wilson]) overtakes a few opponents and then crashes. Are we finally getting rid of our protagonist? The text then reads: "FROM THIS MOMENT EVERYTHING WILL CHANGE."

Okay, that's a good teaser. The problem? It's almost impossible to believe it's real. The animation style is completely different from previous Cars movies, Lightning's design has changed, and the race looks more like a real-world NASCAR competition than anything this franchise has previously shown us. What does that mean? Either Pixar has changed course dramatically ... or what they're showing in the trailer is a dream. After all, if Lightning dreams of his own demise, chances are good that that, too, will change everything.

Cars 3 is scheduled to be released on June 16, 2017.

[gallery=6632]

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
The first one was alright. Not Pixar's best work, but alright. The second one, I think, was made because Disney made them do it.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
You gotta admit though if taken out of context from the fact that its a "Cars" movie this would look like a decent Sports/Racing Drama movie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, that got dark.

And while Cars 2 is my least favorite Pixar film, I actually find the first one to be quite decent. Certainly better than a few other Pixar films (Brave, Ratatouille, Toy Story 2, The Incredibles...)

...you read that right!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm calling the plot, McQueen will be badly damaged, then he'll do what Doc didn't do in the first one and get himself not only back to racing, but to the front of the field.

Cue the uplifting music and shots of crowds cheering.

SlumlordThanatos said:
The first one was alright. Not Pixar's best work, but alright. The second one, I think, was made because Disney made them do it.
Funnily enough I liked the second one better.

Backwoods redneck as a secret agent? A super villain? Mafiosi? A plot to blow up the Queen of England? Absolutely yes please.

If you're going to make a dumb movie for franchise purposes, commit fully.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Eh, a baby sis really, and I do mean really loved the second one. Obsessed is probably a more accurate term. So it keeps kids happy I guess and they're inoffensive in quality. But maybe they're wanting a new direction, keeping the franchise alive to keep the execs happy while not growing completely dead inside themselves. Maybe. Mayyyybe they want to imply a slight slight growing up in theme as well as established audience age. Maybe.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Didn't Pixar say that they were done with making cash-grab sequels?

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/4/12094406/pixar-sequels-inside-out-walle

Well, I suppose they still have 2 more years to stuff in as many sequels as they can before their statement takes true affect...but still...Toy Story 4? I mean, really? >.>

Mar 26, 2008
Wow...

Cars 2 was the drizzling shits, but the original was worth a watch. I'd say this is a complete tonal shift in the series, with the darker colour palette and Lightning McQueen totaling himself, but Cars 2 did have a villain shooting a ray at cars to induce "heart attacks".

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I'm in the minority when I say I enjoy the Cars movies. Yes, both of them. No, they are nowhere near Pixar's greatest work, but I own both and I enjoy watching them from time to time. I'd rather watch them than The Good Dinosaur ever again.

Anyway, you're right about the animation. That's not Cars, nor even Pixar, style of animation. It almost looks like a video game trailer. So I'm really curious to see what they're up to. They can't change the style that much, I think, otherwise kids are going to wonder what happened.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Sigh, you know, I like the Cars franchise because it doesn't take itself too seriously (it's about sentient vehicles with faces for crying out loud) so at the very least they embrace the stupidity of their world, but this? With the other reboot/remakes/sequels I'm trying to hold hope for, this one is a thumbs down for me, the animation looks good, but then again so did Brave and The Good Dinosaur.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, such crappy predictable movies. At least the first one was, I stopped watching it when I started being able to say character dialog before they said it on screen. The second looked like crap.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
*Sigh*

I guess Disney is done pretending like they care.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...Why do we need a third Cars movie? I actually liked the first one, never saw the second. Heard it was kinda meh, not sure why we're getting another one...

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
CrazyGirl17 said:
...Why do we need a third Cars movie? I actually liked the first one, never saw the second. Heard it was kinda meh, not sure why we're getting another one...
Because toy sales, the Cars films are the most profitable Pixar films thanks to them. While the Buzz Lightyear action figure released with the first Toy Story film is the biggest selling individual toy of any Pixar film the Cars franchise is the biggest over all.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Silentpony said:
Oh shit, there was a Cars 2?!
Yeah. It focused more on Larry's character.

P-89 Scorpion said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Because toy sales, the Cars films are the most profitable Pixar films thanks to them. While the Buzz Lightyear action figure released with the first Toy Story film is the biggest selling individual toy of any Pixar film the Cars franchise is the biggest over all.
This, which is why I don't really have any umbrage with the Cars movies. If I gotta stomacj Cars/Planes/Trains/etc so Pixar can keep the lights on for another Wall-E or Up then that's a price I'll stomach.

Edit: Not asking for sequels to Wall-E and Up, just using them as a general example of Pixar's A-Material