cars: manual (stick) or auto

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
In hilly areas I'd rather walk than drive stick. Drivers pull behind manual cars like they're automatics and the threat of rolling back on them is legitimate depending on the responsiveness of the manual car. I already hate people pulling close behind my automatic on a hill and so in a manual I'd probably experience significant stress for no meaningful reason other than I wanted to use a stick to drive.

Automatics are more convenient at the cost of control and potential efficiency. I prefer the convenience of automatics over the control/efficiency that manuals offer. If our gas prices were as bad as overseas, then manual would make a lot more sense. There is also a significantly smaller learning curve and anyone that can drive is able to drive an automatic. So in situations where I need someone else to drive I'm always covered.

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
I learned how to drive on automatic, but I do know how to drive stick and don't mind driving it. But if I have a choice I'll take the automatic, because steep hills still freak me out. It's also embarrassing if I lift the clutch too fast and stall the engine when the light turns green.

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
shootthebandit said:
MrWunderful said:
I'd say the majority here drive an automatic- unless they are into performance driving.
even this is unusual for us brits we drive manuals even if its not for performance

Also do you guys need a seperate license for a stick. In UK if you got your license in an automatic you are prohibited from driving a manual
Not in Canada. You can drive any kind of 'car' you want. So long as it's under 11000 lbs with a full G license.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Ahri said:
I vastly prefer manual.

Automatic cars always feel like a glorified go-kart to me, and while they do take most of the responsibility away from driving, I see that as being both a blessing and a curse.
Pretty much word for word the same as me, I've driven automatics and I can't stand them! Much prefer the feel of a manual car and can't see any real reason to change.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
The majority of cars in the US are automatic. In fact most people don't know how to drive a manual (I'm speaking of the younger generation, most older people do). It's really sad for me be very few new cars offer manual transmission. My first car was a stick and so is my current one.

Out of all my friends I think only three of us know how to drive a stick.

ReadyAmyFire

May 4, 2012
From the United Kingdom so yeh I prefer a normal gearstick. I've only driven autos a few times and found them profusely annoying, even the ones with the sequential change on the steering wheel.

Also prefer saloons, not sure why, I just think they look better and tend to be more stable, but that's purely subjective.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Atrocious Joystick said:
I have to say I am really surprised at what I'm seeing here. I always thought the US being more rural would mostly prefer stick. There seems to be a correlation that if you are rural you like cars and if you like cars you drive stick. Just goes to show that you shouldn't rely too hard on stereotypes.

In Sweden I always got the impression that not being able to drive stick was considered being only half able to drive. And kind of gay. You can drive automatic if you like, but you better know how to drive stick too. I kind of figured seeing as a lot of people here have a fascination with old american cars ("yanks", or "americans") our car culture would be borrowed a lot from yours.
while the majority of the US is rural in terms of area, the majority of the population is in the more urban areas. In the rural areas (at least the ones that ive seen in the South) a lot of people drive stick. Specifically, they drive a manual pickup truck...usually white.

People who drive stick here are basically car enthusiasts or people who drive stick for utility purposes (such as pickup trucks and going off roading)

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Chemical Alia said:
I've had both automatic and manual cars before, and I could probably go either way, but it depends on where I live. When I got my new car in November, they only option that was available was an automatic so I went with that. In ideal conditions I do prefer a manual as it's more fun, but around here with the traffic it just ends up being a hassle. I also hate stopping in traffic on hills (not that they have those here) and seeing that the guy behind me has pulled up to an inch from my bumper when driving stick shift, so that's one less thing to worry about with automatic.

On the subject of hatchbacks, I dunno why so many people dislike them around here. I got an Audi A3 and it's like my adorable dream car, but a lot of people scoffed at the idea (mostly guys). I also heard that the A3 will be a sedan in the US starting in 2014 and they've already stopped producing my 2013 due to them being less popular, and that just baffles me. Most sedans just look so ordinary to me.
Thats odd because in the UK about 90% of cars are hatchs. I drive a "hot hatch" which is a sporty hatchback mine has 197BHP from a 2 litre engine which does sound much to an american but in a small car i reckon i could give a lot of those big engined yank cars a run for thier money especially if there are corners involved. It has a 6 speed manual so i have full control over it. Here is a pic of a car like mine

http://static.clickdealer.co.uk/vehicles/426/426199/full/854908.jpg

I perfer a manual because a) its more fuel efficient provided you use your clutch effectively and use a high gear, b) you get better performance by dropping down a gear, c) you have more control of your car eg a clutch is good for hills and slow maneouvers, d) there is less to go wrong. an automatic gearbox is very complicated so repairing or replacing one could be costly, e) automatics are a lot more expensive to buy, f) by driving an automatic no matter how fast you admit to being inadaquate as a human being

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Not from the US, but Canada seems close enough. Most people drive autos, but I have seen a few manuals. I personally only know how to drive autos, and considering I don't drive much, it's more than enough for me. And you don't need any special license for manual, at least in Ontario.

Ace O'Hagen

May 28, 2013
Live in Canada and every car I've own or have owned was an automatic. My 95 Ford pickup was an auto, my current car, an 05 Passat is an auto with a triptronic transmission (can shift up by hand if I wish) and my 82 Ford camper van is a 3 speed auto as well.

Also, if you wish to be really scared: any standard operators license in Canada allows you to drive any two axle vehicle that doesn't have air breaks ... including 40 foot motorhomes.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Manual all the way! Autos are just boring. I learned to drive in an automatic car so I could focus on learning the road rules etc and then got a manual car after getting my license. Manuals can be stressful and intimidating to learn at first but it soon becomes second nature, I could do it in my sleep by now. It feels so satisfying as well.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I have an automatic little hatchback and a manual sedan. I can drive both with ease as I learned on a stick shift car but in L.A. traffic I much prefer the automatic. Sitting in traffic inching forward for 20-40 minutes daily each way starts to wear out your legs and clutch. Plus on long drives the automatic has cruise control so it saves on gas and wear and tear on my legs. None of the states I have had a license in (California, Kansas, Florida, Texas and Virginia) required a special license for a stick shift. The only special license I have is for a motorcycle.