Cartoons that you think are overrated

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Family Guy (and possibly anything else Seth McFarlane does). I'm sorry, it just rubs me the wrong way...

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Is it just me or are some people using overrated as 'I didn't like the show but yet others do' instead of 'I think the show is of a lower quality then people claim it to be' I mena plenty of people love 'the room' but I am sure no one thinks its good so even if you don't like it and think its bad you can't call it overrated as people will agree its bad.

OT: MLP, I really like the show and think its very good but by god the number of people who call it anything along the lines of one of the best shows/cartoons ever I think are caught up in the hype and awesomeness of its fan base.

Myndnix said:
I also need to second Invader Zim. I really don't understand how that show became the 'classic' it's regarded as, considering how crap it is. It's surreal, but...it isn't funny. It's just kinda gross. While not even approaching the realms of 'funny' or 'entertaining'.
Then there's every cartoon that Cartoon Network has aired in the last five years or so that isn't Adventure Time. Once again, they aren't funny or entertaining. They're surreal, and 'whacky', yes, but they're also quite grotesque and rely way too much on 'random' humour, which is very, very difficult to do correctly.
I have only seen a hand full of clips form invader zim but at least form the scenes I have seen it takes its absolute surreal nature to show some of the most basic flaws of humanity which when even compared to the surrounding event are far more stupid and unbelievable but yet are so true. In short either I have seen only the absolute best parts of the show or you are missing the point of the show (in the same way that someone who is insulting the avengers for being a bad political drama is missing the point).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Fat Dog Mendoza come to my mind. I never saw the appeal to that show as I find Mendoza himself to be creepy as hell.

There's also Ultimate Spiderman but I guessing the only reason why it is popular is that they are forcing it to be popular. There is no where in hell that people are actually demanded/ glad that it's getting a second season!

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I am surprised MLP haven't been mentioned yet. Good job!

I don't think of any cartoon as "overrated". There are some I don't like of course (Seth McFarlane comes to mind), but there are none that I feel are getting more praise than they deserve.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
M K Ultra said:
Anything that McFarlane does.
Agreed, I never really liked his humor and most of his characters are just copy paste from his other shows.

OT: South Park, I don't find it funny and really don't see why it's so popular.

Sep 11, 2009
I was going to mention a couple of shows, but then I remembered that opinions exist.

Not agreeing with them doesn't make them wrong.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
nuba km said:
Is it just me or are some people using overrated as 'I didn't like the show but yet others do' instead of 'I think the show is of a lower quality then people claim it to be' I mena plenty of people love 'the room' but I am sure no one thinks its good so even if you don't like it and think its bad you can't call it overrated as people will agree its bad.
No, it's not just you. That's how threads like this about books/music/movies/games/comics/television always go around here.

OT: New Spongebob.

Now, to be fair, I haven't really seen anybody talk about Spongebob in a long while, but it's still going strong so somebody has to think it's good. To me, though, ever since the film was made the characters have progressively gotten more flat and the jokes have been increasingly simplified. The first few seasons of Spongebob are littered with subtext and small, subtle jokes, which is something that seems to have been completely thrown out the window now.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I would have been saying MLP:FiM a few months back, but then I watched it and saw that it was better than a lot of the other stuff out there.

But on topic. I don't really approach cartoons with the same attitude I use for other stuff like books/movies/games. Even the cartoons I dislike, I don't really dislike. If that makes any sense. I watch the big ones out nowadays pretty regularly. Adventure Time, MLP;FiM, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, etc. The only one I really can't understand is regular show. I'm not a fan of Mordecai and Rigby and the whole show has that "dude-bro" feel to it that just turns me off. But I still watch it a lot, especially if there is nothing else on.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Invader Zims just abit of fun, like Tom and Jerry 'pain is funny' and thats what it is... also Girs cute /)^3^(\

Teen Titans is part of my Nostalgia and even though I agree it is a required taste I feel the protagonists were very well developed and their relationships with each other kept me engaged. Slade on the other hand... yeah... kinda lame, he had potential he just didn't really go anywhere, at least I don't believe he did... I havn't watched it in a long time, ALSO NO GUEST APPEARANCE FROM BATMAN!!!

Batman Beyond and TAS were stronger overall but I believe the protagonists (Batman/Terry) weren't quite as interesting as the Titans were proberly due to them having group dynamics to deal with which gave them more to work with.

As for the pony comment... im a brony so I should just shut my hay hole.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
"My-" *gets hacked to death with machetes by the denizens of the internet*.

In all seriousness though, I don't care what other people watch. People can like whatever they want.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Ishal said:
I would have been saying MLP:FiM a few months back, but then I watched it and saw that it was better than a lot of the other stuff out there.

But on topic. I don't really approach cartoons with the same attitude I use for other stuff like books/movies/games. Even the cartoons I dislike, I don't really dislike. If that makes any sense. I watch the big ones out nowadays pretty regularly. Adventure Time, MLP;FiM, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, etc. The only one I really can't understand is regular show. I'm not a fan of Mordecai and Rigby and the whole show has that "dude-bro" feel to it that just turns me off. But I still watch it a lot, especially if there is nothing else on.
Im much the same here, Cartoons like Bakugan make me a little annoyed but not really angry which is weird because im all about Cartoons, there my bread and butter! I don't know, maybe its because you don't generally see alot of the bad practices that you see with things like Games, not to say there isn't any, their just not so blatent and in your face. Also, I watched shows like that when I was a kid (Beyblade) so have a rough idea how kids feel about them.

Regular Show is VERY dude-bro but as I have these sorts of moments I deffinatly enjoy it, especially after the ep 'Yes dude yes'. If you havn't watched the ep, DO IT!!! The ending, I HAVE BEEN THERE, on both sides.

Mordecai and Cloudy Jay, ALL THE FEELZ!!!

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Wreck it Ralph. It was just so formulaic and like 90% of feature length films for children, pushed the message "be happy with who you are". I don't understand why do so many animated film built around that particular premise.

MasterNano

Mar 25, 2012
Regular Show and Adventure Time tops my list for overrated cartoons, but I have to mention Batman Beyond as well!

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
CAPTCHA said:
Wreck it Ralph. It was just so formulaic and like 90% of feature length films for children, pushed the message "be happy with who you are". I don't understand why do so many animated film built around that particular premise.
I don't know, because it's a good message to teach children? We live in a world enveloped by media pushing their own images of what is "cool" or "beautiful." Why is it so wrong to want to teach children to just be themselves?

OT: I really don't care for Phineas and Ferb.

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Kinda saddened by all the dislike of Invader Zim and Teen Titans...those are still two of my favorite cartoons :( I mean, I always try to acknowledge the good and bad of every piece of media that I can find, and I'll never say that they're perfect, but I think both did enough things right to be very entertaining.

I suppose on that note, I'll be a bit of a devil's advocate and say Batman: The Animated Series. I'M NOT SAYING ITS BAD!!! Not at all, in fact, it did a lot of things right that the animation industry desperately needed after the disgraceful toyetic half-hour commercials of the 80's, but I think Batman:TAS has more dull and uninteresting episodes than many of its fans seems willing to admit. For every great episode like "Heart of Ice", there was one boring episode with the Sewer King, or the Penguin's first appearance in a sort of Home Alone-ish storyline that really made me groan.

I guess I always liked Batman a bit more when he's surrounded by others with whom his personality can be played off of. Which is why I liked Justice League more.

But aside from all that, the most overrated cartoon of all time is Transformers G1. Seriously, I believe that is the worst cartoon America has ever produced. I do not try to actively hate anything, but I hate this cartoon. It's animation and editing quality was bad from the very beginning but then it got worse in the second season as it became made for syndication, something that has NEVER improved a cartoon. It's joke writing consisted of recycled, unintelligent puns from the 70's, characters were frequently introduced for little over one episode so a toy could be made off it, the existing character's didn't have decent development, and Starscream was a little shit who was a terrible basis for the "guy who is openly trying to take over his boss" archetype. The only positives I can say were that Peter Cullen made a good Optimus Prime, who himself made a decent hero figure, Megatron wasn't that stupid a villain, and Soundwave was kinda badass.(He gets free points from me based only on the fact that I like silent, efficient henchmen characters)

Aside from the quality issues, Transformers represents the worst mindset an animation studio can have: You don't need animation quality control, good writing, or well developed characters to be a success, all you need is a cool premise and a toy line, and you'll be raking in the dough. While He-Man was released a year earlier and behaved similarly, I wouldn't call it as bad as Transformers, overall, which is why I say that the Transformers was the earliest, most successful of cartoons following this terrible business model, which led to MORE people making toy-driven cartoons and driving home the idea that animation is a child-only medium; an opinion that is starting to change, but is no less gone. Gendy Tartakovsky's recent Sym-Bionic Titan was cancelled after its only season because there was no toy marketing to go with it. I do not joke.

Are there cartoons technically worse than Transformers? Yes. There are ones with worse animation, worse voice acting, worse premises, and some with racially and historically insulting elements, but the thing is that next to NONE of these shows EVER had an impact. The Transformers has had an animated feature, three live-action features, and numerous spin-offs. Oh yeah, and there are still people who fail to realize that Optimus and others were killed off in the animated movie for the sole reason of replacing them with other toys, and they later retconned that once they realized that what they were doing actually had impact.

If you were a fan of this show during the 80's, know this: Nobody behind the cartoon ever cared. Nobody cared about what you thought about the characters, nobody cared about how you may have felt seeing your hero die onscreen, nobody cared about presenting you with quality. Nobody cared about you.

For what it represents to the animation industry and animation history, as well as suffering from terrible quality on its own terms, I say The Transformers is not only the most overrated cartoon in history, but also the worst American cartoon.

To paraphrase Yahtzee, if you like this cartoon, you're wrong. I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is wrong.

/rant

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Z of the Na said:
CAPTCHA said:
I don't know, because it's a good message to teach children? We live in a world enveloped by media pushing their own images of what is "cool" or "beautiful." Why is it so wrong to want to teach children to just be themselves?
It just feels over used is all. That, and the message seems to designed to pacify. The protagonist becomes disillusioned with their life and seeks to improve themselves. This leads to some sort of disaster and by the end of the film they return to their former life a little wiser. Be content, don't aspire. The message seems a little double edged and is seen more and more frequently in kids films with the whole 'rise of the geek' thing going on in mainstream media.