Cartoons that you think are overrated

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Seconding Teen Titans. Not only does the theme song annoy the absolute fuck out of me, but it was made during that period when American cartoons were ripping off anime. Except that rather than taking what was good, such as interesting character dynamics or arcing storylines, they took the stuff that makes anime shit. Mainly the ridiculous overreaction faces, random graphical effects and emphasis lines that completely draw you out of the show.

It also doesn't fit with the DC animated universe shows, which I find much superior. Hell, even Static Shock, with it's rather lame music and less than threatening villains was a better show. At least in it Harley Quinn showed up once.
Static Shock was a show that tackled some real-world issues.

mailh20

Mar 22, 2012
shrekfan246 said:
nuba km said:
Is it just me or are some people using overrated as 'I didn't like the show but yet others do' instead of 'I think the show is of a lower quality then people claim it to be' I mena plenty of people love 'the room' but I am sure no one thinks its good so even if you don't like it and think its bad you can't call it overrated as people will agree its bad.
No, it's not just you. That's how threads like this about books/music/movies/games/comics/television always go around here.

OT: New Spongebob.

Now, to be fair, I haven't really seen anybody talk about Spongebob in a long while, but it's still going strong so somebody has to think it's good. To me, though, ever since the film was made the characters have progressively gotten more flat and the jokes have been increasingly simplified. The first few seasons of Spongebob are littered with subtext and small, subtle jokes, which is something that seems to have been completely thrown out the window now.
YES. spongebob if you have seen the newer episodes is only still being artificially alive due to the fact that it's nicks biggest franchise and cant let go of it. they only crank out like maybe 10 episodes a year (just a guess no real proof for this number), and with most of the new episodes its just the same basic problem from a previus one with a new reason why said problem is happening and new unfunny jokes, it slaps you in the face with staleness

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Relish in Chaos said:
South Park. It has the occasional entertaining episode, but it?s much less intelligent than the creators think it is. I mean, it?s tolerable, and I?ll watch it if there?s nothing else to, but?it?s not as good as The Simpsons, or even Family Guy. I mean, I ?get it?, but there?s not all that much humour to be found in the increasingly ridiculous storylines.

Naruto. All I can remember from the couple of manga volumes my friend lent to me was an annoying smart-ass protagonist, an emo sidekick-of-sorts, a stereotypical tsundere teenage girl with a stupid crush on said emo, and about a million flashbacks.
Naruto does tend to grow stale after awhile, and it does suffer from some anime stereotypes that hold it back. However, when the series does something right, it does shine. There are moments from that series that still resonate with me (deaths of prominent characters, convictions and ideologies, and the "Balboa Syndrome")

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
ShadowDude112 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
ShadowDude112 said:
I am not overrated, thank you very much.
So, you pretty much got mad enough to RP as said character whose show I don't like? Wow. Keep being mad, bro.
Barton, it was a joke.
Hard to tell when certain fans of fandoms are joking when most of them I come across are rabid and do actually get mad about it. Of course, I apologize for not realizing it was a joke.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I'll agree Teen Titans is overrated. Good show, but not THAT good.

Spongebob - it's kinda of just dumb.

Invader Zim - it's okay.

Tom & Jerry - Like Roadrunner cartoons...except boring.

Southpark - When it's good, it's REALLY good....but most of the time it's actually just annoying.

Family Guy - Fairly good across the board, and occasionally really great, but still nowhere near as good as people seem to think.

The Simpsons - Good, but just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond its expiration date. It's just pointless now.

Transformers (kinda all of them) - I fucking LOVE Transformers (in the sense of characters, concepts, designs, story, etc) but the shows have never lived up to their potential.
-----------

-----------

-----------
Avatar:The Legend Of Korra - NOT overrated. The first season had room to be a LOT better if Amon's identity was different, but (disregarding that I had come up with a far better conclusion) it was nonetheless FANTASTIC. It is COMPLETELY on track to be better than The Legend Of Aang in the coming seasons. The Last Airbender wasn't at its best in the first season either.

Young Justice - A hell of a lot better than every other DC cartoon ever made that wasn't part of the DCAU, and actually much better than MOST of the DCAU. Young Justice is outright one of the best superhero cartoons ever made.

Ultimate Spider-Man - It's actually a really good show. You just have to accept that it's the first cartoon to take on Spider-Man as an impetuous teenager (more self-obsessed and focused on having fun) than the more serious and responsible versions of Spider-Man from Spider-Man TAS, Spectactular Spider-Man, Spider-Man TNAS, Spider-Man Unlimited, etc, etc.
He hasn't yet learned to be a responsible hero, and the full weight of what his responsibilities actually are haven't fully settled in his mind yet.
He's getting there though....slowly.

My Little Pony:Friendship Is Magic - It's not overrated. It really is a GREAT show. BUT...it's simply not for everyone, as a lot of the most avid fans would like to believe.
I love the show, but I recognize that it simply doesn't mesh with some people.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
WE DID IT, GUYS!

WE GOT THROUGH A WHOLE CARTOON THREAD WITHOUT MLP FLAME WARS!

WOO!

Berithil said:
Now, I'm going to throw you all a curveball:

MLP:FIM.

Now, just wait a minute. Yes, I love that show, but "overrated" does not mean bad. It just means that it gets far too much attention. Overall, I don't think it is overrated, it's just some of the more vocal fans tend to push it so much, that it makes me think if I just heard about the show from some of those fans today, I would be sorely disappointed when I finally watched the show.

That's what "overrated" should be, not just talking about something you don't like.
I second this answer. I've actually enjoyed the show much more now because I've lowered my standards of it to that of any other cartoon (like, for example, Spongebob). That way, I can always enjoy at it's standard level, and when it ramps up for the big finales/premieres, I enjoy it even more than I would have.

I get why it's New Sincerity message can have a profound effect on people, but I think if bronies toned down how "awesome" and "epic" the show was, newcomers wouldn't feel so disappointed on their first experience (especially with the first 2 episodes being nigh-exclusively for kids).

IamLEAM1983 said:
even if I loved the shit out of Discord and even if I'm looking forward to his rumoured return.
Oh, not only is it confirmed, it's coming in 2 weeks

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Oh yes, because we can all be relied upon to be objective arbiters of quality...

Give me a break and let me like something because it appeals to me; don't call me an idiot for liking Adventure Time because I find it fun, don't call me a **** for liking Aqua Teen Hunger Force because (actually I can't really isolate why I do like ATHF, but I do).

All this 'overrated' crap is bullshit, and down to annoying people rather than the shows themselves.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
Ieyke said:
Ultimate Spider-Man - It's actually a really good show. You just have to accept that it's the first cartoon to take on Spider-Man as an impetuous teenager (more self-obsessed and focused on having fun) than the more serious and responsible versions of Spider-Man from Spider-Man TAS, Spectactular Spider-Man, Spider-Man TNAS, Spider-Man Unlimited, etc, etc.
He hasn't yet learned to be a responsible hero, and the full weight of what his responsibilities actually are haven't fully settled in his mind yet.
He's getting there though....slowly.
Eh... as a big Spidey guy, I don't like what they did with the character. SSM was so much better and it's sad that legal mumbo jumbo is what truly got in the way and not a company (I can go more in depth through PM if you're interested.) Also, USM just isn't funny. The cutaway gags really take you out of the suspense and it's never funny, the only thing I find really cool is Doc Ock, and it's a shame his design is being wasted on such a bad show.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
my little pony.

it's good, don't get me wrong i think it's great. but gezzzz guys, calm down. it's not THAT good. it's a good cartoon but i could name about five better ones on the spot when i am asked.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Dragonball Z with it's poor long stetch pacing where one battle could take 5 episodes to span out and finish.
I know I'm a bit of a fanboy for DBZ but one of the reasons they went longer is because Toriyama was still making the manga while the anime was made I think (could be completely wrong, just think I remember hearing it).

OT - I have caught some episodes on The Flinstones and older stuff like that on weekends and while I'm sure they were good when they were made, the comedy just doesn't seem there.

I also don't get why Naruto is as popular as it is but that could be because the one episode I saw this happened and I just wondered why that kind of thing was needed.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
South Park ever since they became lazy and solely reliant on lame pop culture references for laughs. Chthulhu killing Justin Bieber and Snooki as a sex-crazed monster, I'm looking at you. It's also a shame since they decided to cut the more absurd castmembers (Mephesto, Officer Barbrady, etc.).

The same for The Simpsons ever since they shoehorn "guest appearances" in every effin' episode. Futurama has lost the spark as well. Lazy writing and aggressive Flanderization of the entire cast, etc.

Personally, every anime ever.

The only good "cartoon" at the moment is, in my honest opinion, Archer.

Epic Bear Man

Feb 5, 2013
I'm not a fan of anime for the most part, so I'd say any of the major animes that are known by plenty of Americans (my age at least). The pacing, the frequent flashbacks in some them, etc. just really annoys me and I can't get past it. Granted this isn't ALL animes, just the major ones I've seen.

Adventure Time is a VERY overrated show over here in my opinion. I've tried watching it and only seen two things:
a) The freaky moments, like the heart named Ricardo or something trying to get the bubblegum princess's heart. And I LOVE freaky cartoons. I loved Courage: The Cowardly Dog, and Invader Zim to a degree (I liked it, but I didn't love it).
b) Some really stupid jokes, like the Finn guy as a baby dancing in front of the mirror.

I've watched a couple of episodes of it, and just honestly didn't like it. I do like Regular Show though. That one is pretty cool in my opinion.

Doug. Oh my god, I absolutely hated this show. I don't know why anyone honestly liked it.

Same with Hey! Arnold. Better than Doug, but I just wasn't a fan of it at all.

Home Movies. It was some stupid show on Adult Swim I saw a few times. I wasn't a big fan of the jokes really.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
Gotta say MLP:FIM. Jesus, I watch the show and I'll admit it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and stuff, but the way some people worship it as the greatest thing ever is wrong. A lot of the morals have been done better by other shows.

Alexander Bradley

Dec 31, 2010
Anything after 2006 is overrated as shit. If I turn on Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, or Nickelodeon (because I've got class and say the whole fucking name) nowadays, the aftermath of me will resemble that of a retarded ape who just learned that there aren't any bananas left on the island. Not only is the scripting and humor terrible, but the drawing and animation for these shows are complete shit. But they do reflect this generation quite accurately, so take that as you will. I've still got my Batman: The Animated Series to cling on to and slaughter anyone who says that it was flawed before the final two seasons.