Cartoons: Then and now.

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
SaikyoKid said:
Nostalgia definitely plays a huge part in thinking that the older cartoons are all better than the newer ones. I got to watching Inspector Gadget again and I used to watch that all the time as a kid. Looking at it now I think its just more silly and mundane. Not necessarily bad mind you, but I can now see all of the faults I may have overlooked as a little kid.

That being said though, I still believe that the good cartoons from back in the day still blow the good new ones out of the water. The quality of writing is better, they are delivered better, and at the time they were still new. For a good example, just compare the Simpsons to itself. Anyone who has watched the old ones will tell you they are far better than the last few seasons. The characters were better and memorable and they actually had some heartbreaking stories too. Now its just kinda melted down to pop references.

So indeed, a lot of the bad ones are held a little higher thanks to nostalgia, but the real gems truly are that much better than new ones.
True. I loved Thundercats when I was a kid, but I watched some of the original episodes recently, and although I enjoyed it for nostalgia I was like "Wow, I don't remember Snarf being that annoying". I also hate what happened to The Simpsons and South Park. I caught the "Monorail" episode of the Simpsons the other day and I was pissing myself laughing! That would never happen with any of the newer episodes.

Also, I just love how Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry cartoons were made in the 1950's and are still funny today. I mean, someone getting hit in the face with a frying pan, resulting in a frying-pan shaped wound to the face is still funny 60 years later, and will still be funny 60 years from now. I wonder how many other cartoons will fare that well?