Casey Hudson Talks Decisions and Consequences in Mass Effect 3

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Dyp100 said:
manythings said:
I wonder how long it is before someone complains about DA2.

Dyp100 said:
Because Bioware side quests are really boring I'll end up getting a boring and crappy ending? Thanks Bioware, you jerks.

Can't wait for ME3 still, even if they delayed it for the most stupid reason ever.
That reason being? It seemed pretty vague in the article here. Also how are you getting a crappy ending?

OT: All my various Shepard's will take a lot of time to get through.
That seems to imply if you didn't do side-quests you'll end up loosing a massive chucnk of the ending.
It implies not doing side quests will cause things to happen/not happen. As in bigger army = better odds of saving more, not saving a civilian target = distracting enemy forces and striking a weakness. Saying you're getting less ending is a bit premature. It's not like dead people will need Epilogues.

Dark1Elder

May 16, 2011
Your Actions coming back to bite you in the ass in Mass Effect 3? what a shock, i know my BIG issue is gonna be the fact that (with help of DLC Shadow Brokers Lair) i slept with Ashley Williams in the first game and both Liara AND Tali in the second game. i don't know which one, but i just know one of those three girls are gona be ever so PISSED at me

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Canadish said:
Daystar Clarion said:
rsvp42 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Prepare for the Bioware haters in 3-2-1...
I love how it's become so predictable lately. Folks need to chill.
Indeed. Instead of whining about the game, why don't they simply not play it? If you don't like where the franchise is going then bail, nobody is forcing you to play it.

But I forget. RPG purists are self entitled.
Well, if you pay $60 for a product, and the product is garbage, the customer has the right to complain. And also to warn others about both the product and the company that produced it.
Bioware has been producing poor games of late. And so, your seeing critique all over the internet.

Why is it suddenly being treated as wrong to give criticism?

Otherwise and on topic, glad to hear, if expected. I suspected that your choices were not going to be "Wrong" or "Right", but set you on a path with you must follow in order to get the best ending.
Subjective.

I thought Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 were great games. Read reviews, make sure that you're going to like the direction the game is going before you buy it.

You have a right to complain, but you won't get any sympathy from me if you basically jumped into making a purchase without knowing anything about what you were buying.
I agree with you almost 100%.
It is subjective, and your welcome to praise the game, and I'll never throw petty insults at you.
Sadly, having problems with the games seems to "justify" people to calling you "Entitled". I hope this growing culture of attacking other players comes to a close. It just ain't nice.

And to address your other point, I fully agree a customer should do research on a product before purchase.
However.
Bioware marketed the game saying it was still true to its old school roots. Not very many people agree this was accurate. I felt it was more like an action game with RPG elements.
So the marketing was a lie. But the bigger problem...
The gaming industry has the age old problem of biased and bought out reviews.
While people may disagree, many of the Dragon Age 2 reviews in particular were suspect.
I can see how someone could like the game, that is fine. But it was unpolished.
The official 100/100 reviews (which talked about features that were not in the the game...) just didn't seem honest after I played the game myself.

So we can't even really trust that. It's hard to know what your gonna get with a game, and for a product so expensive, you have to understand why people get angry when they get something they did not expect or poor in quality.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I can't imagine being thrown into the middle of a huge, immersive sci-fi epic like Mass Effect and not rolling around in it like a drunk pig in a mud hole, but apparently that's how some folks prefer to handle the looming intergalactic apocalypse: jump in, kick ass and call it a day. Efficient, I suppose, but it sounds like a good way to miss out on a lot of cool stuff, too.
Yes, but sometimes people just like to be realistic. Or they get so involved that they feel the urgency.

"SHEPARD! THE REAPERS ARE ATTACKING EARTH!"
"I'm on it! Tali, quick! Get Wrex on the comm! And Samara! She's influential among the asari!"
"Oh and while you're at it, there's a base of slavers posing as a legitimate business in the Traverse. Can you go clean them out?"
"...Admiral Hackett, is the Reaper Invasion so leisurely that we can afford the detour?"

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
You know what would make those choices even more difficult and immersive?

If they weren't tied to a stupid goddamn arbitrary, binary good/evil moral choice system!

I'm sorry, but I just cannot get over that. The Mass Effect games would be 100x better if the just removed the entire "good/evil" system out and kept everything else intact. These decisions won't be hard at all as all I'm going to do is choose the choice that gives me the Paragon points, and if I was Paragon for the last two games, what the hell makes them think I'm going to choose to go against what my Shepard did before? All it does is unnecessarily separate the game's content, and it just pisses me off.

Whatever, other than that, Mass Effect 3 looks to be an interesting game. I do hope they include more variety in the combat and in the non-combat aspects. I don't want to be endlessly shooting peons/mooks over and over again, have a cutscene, then shoot some more mooks.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sounds good. Hope they pull it off.

Also, that big ol' Rachni lady had better help the shit out of me.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm going to have to replay the end of ME2 just to get the base blowing up ending because I knew they would punish you for not letting you do the sensible thing (which is keep the base and transport the council members and alliance to it as proof of the Reaper threat and for important info and punch any Cerberus member who thinks he can get close. You alone were the guy powerful enough to take on an entire species of evil alien entities backed with the technology of the most powerful and evil alien entities ever existed. One man and a cigar (who was incompetent in the first game) would not be able to stop you.)

So instead I've got to replay all that mission and make the silly ridiculous counter-to-everything-else-you've-done-in-the-ME2-and-ME1-ending