Cash Grab Dungeon Keeper Was Wrong, Admits EA CEO

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
PunkRex said:
I havn't played a EA game since Mass Effect 2, probably won't be changing any time soon. A new Dungeon Keeper might have fixed tha-OH WAIT, NO IT WOULDN'T!
Heh, I'm actually noticing that a lot of EA's 90s "conquests" are managing to poke their heads up on kickstarter. We've got WftOW, Shroud of the Avatar. Wonder how long before someone comes along with a Sim(insert here) project.

That or EA will start trying to copyright all the mechanics of franchises they destroyed.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Mmh, this is nought more than the actions of a publisher desperate to claw back PR. And Say, I wonder why they're expressing regret Now over the Dungeon Keeper fee-to-pay game? Could there be perhaps a new one to be announced soon? Or maybe they're thinking if they say "Oops, we didn't mean to be such dicks over how badly we've shove in micro-payments", maybe customers will accept it when they do it again and again. Urgh... Sometimes I should just ignore what EA does, much safer long run

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
If they truly were repentant they'd patch the game to be less stupidly crippling. Hah, like that would actually happen.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
I never noticed it before, but after reading how this guy talks...using words like "value" and "business model"...I realize that they really don't have a creative passion for games.

SonofSpermcube

Aug 10, 2013
Michael Tabbut said:
While I "appreciate" the apology, EA has not learned their lesson yet and I doubt they will anytime soon. I haven't bought an EA game for the better part of a year and I won't be buying from them again till they get a major slap to their proverbial noggins.
I bought an EA game by accident (not realizing it was EA) during a Steam sale and I still feel ashamed.

EA is not good at anything but sucking. They've never been good at anything but sucking, EVER. I remember how awful their Genesis games were, for fuck's sake.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
When these company's were young they used to be a hell of a lot better in nearly every aspect.

"For new players, it was kind of a cool game," he said. "For people who'd grown up playing Dungeon Keeper there was a disconnect there. In that aspect we didn't walk that line as well as we could have. And that's a shame."
And that just shows they didn't learn shit. They should be trying to make a great experience, but since all the decisions are run by morally bankrupt tasteless suits, they can't fucking do that.

STOP TAKING ADVANTAGE OF EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE YOU ASSHOLES!!!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Heard this song and dance before from another EA CEO.

Go die in a fire Mr Andrew Wilson and take your scrounging crap of a company with you.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
StewShearer said:
The original Dungeon Keeper is one of those classics that, when you think about wouldn't have been all that hard to reboot. Just recreate the same formula, slap on a more modern interface and watch the money flow in as old time fans and new time gamers alike bought it in droves.
You'd have thought so, yet games like Impire and Evil Genius suggest maybe it's a little harder than that. War for the Overworld might turn out OK, but so far every other effort to make a successor to Dungeon Keeper has failed rather badly. Sure, EA managed to fail the hardest by trying to make a reboot that could never have worked even in principle, but no-one else has done a particularly good job yet either.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Kahani said:
StewShearer said:
The original Dungeon Keeper is one of those classics that, when you think about wouldn't have been all that hard to reboot. Just recreate the same formula, slap on a more modern interface and watch the money flow in as old time fans and new time gamers alike bought it in droves.
You'd have thought so, yet games like Impire and Evil Genius suggest maybe it's a little harder than that. War for the Overworld might turn out OK, but so far every other effort to make a successor to Dungeon Keeper has failed rather badly. Sure, EA managed to fail the hardest by trying to make a reboot that could never have worked even in principle, but no-one else has done a particularly good job yet either.
Does War for the Overworld not have some of the original people on staff? I know they've got the original composer and voice actor back, (granted that doesn't impact the actual gameplay), but I'm sure they've got some of the original coders and artists on hand. Can anyone back me up on that?

If so, it has a bit of an advantage, and from the footage I've seen it does seem to get "it", though it is still in very early beta.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Add Command and Conquer to that list. Good god a CnC game would sell like hot-cakes right now. The PC is surging back and the likes of EA have sadly killed many of it's old stalwart games. There is a real gap in the market for a good old fashioned "Build base, smash face" less involved kind of RTS. We've seen HD re-releases for Age of Mythology and so forth to plug this gap.
Arguably as a counter to this...would it sell? The RTS genre is pressing more in the way of games such as Company of Heroes (which was the last one I remember selling well, or was at least positively received). Age of Mythology and such have nostalgia to bank on. A new IP in the same vein as C&C of olden times could be a bit of a gamble...

...However, this probably isn't why Grey Goo (which is the closest thing we have right now) is going to tank.

Not saying I disagree, just putting this thought out there. Actually on that note...

Scrumpmonkey said:
Petroglyph has pretty effectively doomed it's self out so here's hoping someone can make some kind of "RTS game like CnC but totally not CnC but we have Orcas and Mammoth tanks and walking thingies- please don't sue us" game that is good.
Wait, I need a moment to process this...another Human being who DOESN'T regard Petroglyph as some sort of Sacred Cow?!

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Petroglyph have been very unlucky but, especially in the last few years, have made some baffling and slightly breathtakingly pitiful choices. Their kickstarter was no non-starter and whilst Trion Worlds killed off "End of Nations" quietly, the project looked to have been in real trouble and has effectively been brought in house by them to try and salvage it.

People who know who Petroglyph are tend to be the avid, bitter old school Westwood fans who consider it like some kind of last hope. But in reality it is just a company which has struggled to bring anything substantive to market since 2007.

As for CnC, there are HUGE nostalgia dollars out there for that franchise, many many more than AoM. If someone decided to make a stripped down, isometric CnC game with a focus on classic style combat there would be a chorus of "Shut up and take my money" i guarantee it. From what I've seen there is a real hunger for any RTS titles at all, especially in that more base building more casual 90s style.
I agree strongly.

The problem as I see it however is risk vs reward. Yes, if EA was to release a hypothetical HD C&C Collection, it would (or rather, it should) be a quick and easy profit. But an entirely new IP released by a developer on any scale? An Indie developer could go out of business if it tanks (this has happened a few times in the past), and the triple A guys (let's say EA) I don't think would approve of it, because in their small and simple minds (to use PC terms), the game would not sell because there is (allegedly) "no market for RTS games" - and in their mind, that includes the more modern, thousand click per minute, resource point holding RTS games.

As for Petroglyph? It's become something of a love & hate relationship. I feel their own sense of arrogance and narcissism is getting the better of them - in addition to the free pass they get from most, one only needs to look closely at Grey Goo to see that several ideas have been borrowed from Earth 2160 (the core concepts around the Goo faction mainly, though the Human base construction method also borrows heavily from the game), and yet they repeatedly claim we "haven't seen these mechanics anywhere in an RTS before".

As one of the few players who managed to get into the End of Nations beta - it was DREADFUL. It remains to this day the only Beta where I've willingly wanted to have my Beta permissions revoked. The balance strongly favoured the Shadow Revolution all the way up until the end, as AOE spam simply won the day. There was nothing the Liberation Front could do to counter them, and anytime Liberation Front players found a tactic that could work, they were nerfed - repeatedly. The Shadow Revolution (to my knowledge) never received a nerfing as severe - jumping back in about six months after I left, I found that the same Shadow Revolution players were winning using the exact same AOE spam tactics. I never went back after that, and thank merciful gods Trion killed it. It was a cosmic horror the likes of which only H P Lovecraft could think of.

On the other hand - Grey Goo could well be that hypothetical 90's esque slow paced, base building RTS we've all been begging for (the Humans especially seem fixated around their base). On that basis alone, I would like Grey Goo - and to an extent, Petroglyph - to succeed...however, Frank Klepacki has resorted to using Dubstep. I'll let that speak of just how desperate Petro has gotten.

Otherwise, it's this or going back to playing Starcraft II.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'll believe it when I see it in action.

RandV80 said:
EA is essentially a sociopathic corporate entity, and the CEO it's mouth piece. When it says something like this it's not actually apologizing or admitting mistake, but more thinking about something like damage control or appeasing investors.
Doesn't sociopathy require one to behave outside the social norms of one's culture? EA is doing the opposite: they are borderline paragons of the corporate model.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it sounds like this guy's still trying to sell the game.

"For new players, it was kind of a cool game"

No, new players looked at the game, thought it might be fun, downloaded it, saw just how much grasping and cloying for cash there was, and then promptly removed it from their device and never looked back.