Castle/Fort building RPGs?

Flammarion

Nov 26, 2007
Right, well my favourite part of NWN2 was the Crossroads keep, building it up, recruiting different people to work in it and so on, and I'm a huge fan of the Suikoden RPG series (with the 108 recruitable characters and the castles and so on) and I'm wondering if anyone knows any similar games? Preferably RPGs, but anything with that kind of mechanic really...

Henrik Persson

Mar 14, 2010
I feel the same way about Crossroads keep and I think it's weird that more games don't include similar things. Bethesda in particular make games where it would be perfect. Imagine founding a new settlement in D.C. Scattered across the wasteland are people you can "recruit" to make it function better, you get quests asking you to find some piece of salvage to repair the power generator, you might get assaulted by raiders etc. It would also work great in Oblivion, you're knighted for your deeds and gets awarded a region along with the duty to protect it. Well, Oblivion might not be the perfect Elder Scroll game for it, but if TESV is set in a land with a frontier it would be awesome.

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Though it really isn't an RPG, Dwarf Fortress can be pretty fun (if you can get past the clunky UI). You can manage almost every aspect of the fort.

Afrasabi

Dec 26, 2008
Give Mount & Blade: Warband (PC) a try. It came out just recently and has the whole kingdom/castle managing business along with army recruitment, command, and fighting (think dynasty warriors, but realistic).

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
i know there is a fallout 3 mod that does this although its a town not a fortress. But i cant remember the name of it

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Afrasabi said:
Give Mount & Blade: Warband (PC) a try. It came out just recently and has the whole kingdom/castle managing business along with army recruitment, command, and fighting (think dynasty warriors, but realistic).
I concur. The battles are quite fun, too. And the demo is the sort where you can play as long as you want, as long as you stay under level 7.

Flammarion

Nov 26, 2007
I tried Dwarf Fortress a few times... it's never ended well. Or started well. Or really gone 'well' at any point ever.

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
Henrik Persson said:
I feel the same way about Crossroads keep and I think it's weird that more games don't include similar things. Bethesda in particular make games where it would be perfect. Imagine founding a new settlement in D.C. Scattered across the wasteland are people you can "recruit" to make it function better, you get quests asking you to find some piece of salvage to repair the power generator, you might get assaulted by raiders etc. .
This has been done in the form of a mod for the PC version, you can also make the travelling traders recognise you as settlement and stop at your town, relationships with other towns can be set up so you have gifts and stuff, it's pretty awesome.

little.09 said:
i know there is a fallout 3 mod that does this although its a town not a fortress. But i cant remember the name of it
if you use some enclosed area like the junkyard and the use of gates/fences you can come pretty close to it :p

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Henrik Persson said:
I feel the same way about Crossroads keep and I think it's weird that more games don't include similar things. Bethesda in particular make games where it would be perfect. Imagine founding a new settlement in D.C. Scattered across the wasteland are people you can "recruit" to make it function better, you get quests asking you to find some piece of salvage to repair the power generator, you might get assaulted by raiders etc. It would also work great in Oblivion, you're knighted for your deeds and gets awarded a region along with the duty to protect it. Well, Oblivion might not be the perfect Elder Scroll game for it, but if TESV is set in a land with a frontier it would be awesome.
See, they DID do this in Morrowind. It was basic, but you still got to choose what to build in your little town in Solstheim. It just goes to show that it's certainly possible, and honestly it's really not a very hard thing to script.

Let us see this in games more often!

Flammarion

Nov 26, 2007
Ghostwise said:
Flammarion said:
Right, well my favourite part of NWN2 was the Crossroads keep, building it up, recruiting different people to work in it and so on, and I'm a huge fan of the Suikoden RPG series (with the 108 recruitable characters and the castles and so on) and I'm wondering if anyone knows any similar games? Preferably RPGs, but anything with that kind of mechanic really...
Have you played Suikoden V? Best one in the series imo. Really cool stuff in that one.
Yes I did, it was awesome! I still prefer II though, the sprites were fantastic. I'm really hoping for a VI sometime in the next few years >>

At some point I should really play IV too, the only one I haven't gotten to yet.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
On NGC there's a good RPG called Skies of Arcadia Legends and mostly you recruit people for your ship (they give you special bonuses) but near the end of the game you find this island and set it up as a base, and then you can upgrade it and all your extra crew go there. I really enjoyed it, and it's a really good game (crappy graphics tho).

I also liked upgrading the town in Assassin's Creed 2, tho I know it's not quite the same. I guess I also just like that feature in games.

And older series - well to me - is Heroes of Might and Magic which is more of an RTS/Strategy game but anyway you have to build up your castles to produce new units, get upgrades, and also defenses like moats, towers etc. I only played 2 and 3 with 2 being my favorite but I think the series has some much newer entries. Might be worth a try (if you can get 2 for free online check it out)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Infinite Space has you recruiting tons of different crew members to flesh out your Space Fleet. It's similar to Suikoden in that regard, but not many others.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Shining Force EXA has a setting where you protect a castle/fortress, and you spend the entire game going out and finding ways to improve the fortress - such as enhancing weaponry, defense, building stronger robots to defend it from attacks. One of the hardest last enemies known to man, though...

Odd enough it hasn't been mentioned yet:

Don't forget DarkCloud 1 and 2; the second is the better. The entire game is spent either beating on clowns/ghouls or building towns and telling people where to live.

All recommended are RPGs.

Flammarion

Nov 26, 2007
Quaidis said:
Shining Force EXA has a setting where you protect a castle/fortress, and you spend the entire game going out and finding ways to improve the fortress - such as enhancing weaponry, defense, building stronger robots to defend it from attacks. One of the hardest last enemies known to man, though...

Odd enough it hasn't been mentioned yet:

Don't forget DarkCloud 1 and 2; the second is the better. The entire game is spent either beating on clowns/ghouls or building towns and telling people where to live.

All recommended are RPGs.
They also all seem incredibly hard to find :p