Cat or Dog ?

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I did a little research one day. I searched two entries in Google News: "Stray dog attacks person" and "Stray cat attacks person". Guess which one returned the most results.
Actually the cat one still returned dog stories for the most part.

Cats might be arseholes but at least they are not backstabbing bastards like dogs.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
Dogs are superior. That being said, I hate pets. They are a huge waste of time, money and other resources. I also don't actually have much empathy for animals so it's really hard to have one in the first place.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Both are great, but if you had to just get any one random dog or cat, the dog you end up with has a better chance of being your best friend over the cat.

kyz2

Oct 10, 2014
Even though we have different choices? We should respect everybody's opinion. :)

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
kyz2 said:
Even though we have different choices? We should respect everybody's opinion. :)
What nonsense is this?! No no no, welcome to the internet - here, we hunt down those who hold differing opinions and we burn them to the ground.

OT: Not wishing to be shunned by fellow Catoholics Anonymous members, I can't vote for one or t'other here. I love both too much and for different reasons.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dogs every day. A mixed mutt, preferably. The more husky/wolf like (without actually being a husky or wolf), the better.

Dogs are much more loyal and emotionally stabilizing than cats, and I may never have a permanent home ever again, so...

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Fasckira said:
Also, lets not forget that there have been a few cases of dogs sensing cancer in their owners [https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=3CBGVM7tAuuq8wf0m4CwDg#q=dog+senses+cancer] and alerting them, whereas cats have just been like "Lol, im going to use your carcass as a litterbox the moment you drop *****".
Cats can also sense cancer in their owners [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/cat-diagnoses-owners-life-breast-cancer_n_1332466.html][footnote]https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+senses+breast+cancer&oq=cat+senses+breast+cancer&aqs=chrome..69i57.5889j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=cat+senses+cancer[/footnote]

As for dropping dead, I am personally convinced my cat would be upset over the loss. He gets noticeably depressed when I go away on vacation for a week even though someone else is around to feed him.[footnote]so it's not just the fact I provide for him.[/footnote]

As for which is better? I would prefer a cat with the affection of a dog. My cat will cuddle up next to me in the morning and at night and pretty much whenever I'm at home, he enjoys the attention. He's also very mellow and straightforward about what he needs and wants.

I like the fact that cats are lower maintenance. Dogs have to be walked and get regular exercise, otherwise they may become destructive. It's the same for cats of course, but exercise for a cat is as simple as pointing a laser at the wall. Cats are just better suited for my lifestyle, which involves living in a tiny apartment and working more hours than I should.

Cats are also wonderful at controlling things I'd rather not have in the apartment such as palmetto bugs.

---------------
As for dogs, it depends on the breed the dog 'mostly' is.

I can't own a dog that's best suited toward big yards and houses.
I would never own a husky. As beautiful as they are, they're hyperactive balls of fluff, also I'm pretty convinced they won't give two shits if somebody breaks into your house, provided the thief brings biscuits.

Labrador retrievers are wonderful dogs IMO. We had a dog that was a golden lab mix and she was everything a person might want a dog to be. She was well behaved, loyal, protective, affectionate and good with children. She was a rescue from a previous owner who had abused her and she was very happy to have us and we were happy to have her.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Dogs all the way, I love dogs. Cat's are cool too, and might make a good secondary pet, but I will surely pick up a dog before I get a cat. Preferably a big dog versus a small dog, but small dogs are cool too.

Kerethos

Jun 19, 2013
Lilani said:
Zhukov said:
Cat person reporting for duty.

Dogs are too... dependant. Cats are cool with just doing their own thing and just stopping by for a feed and a pat.

If I drop dead on the lounge room floor, a dog will (well, might) alert the neighbours with its mournful howls. A cat will eat my corpse.
I'm also a cat person for this reason. Cats still love and show affection, it's just not the desperate, needy kind of love dogs express. I don't care that they're more aloof sometimes, to me that's a lot better than something I've got to walk 3 times a day in rain or shine, hot or cold. And dogs are loud and smell bad. I have never in my life heard of someone bathing a cat because it smelled due to natural causes, yet dogs need to be bathed frequently as a matter of course.
I do believe you two just put it far better than me on why I'd always chose cat over a dog.

But just because I'm in the mood for brutal honesty:
I'd never ever want a dog, because I don't want to walk it in nasty weather and I don't want to be picking up it's feces 1-3 times a day for 10-15 years. It's more responsibility than a child, only it's one that never grows up and actively tries to eat things that do not agree with it's bowels.

With a cat all I need to do for it is fill up the food bowls and let it out once or twice a day (or install a cat hatch, or leave the door open while I'm home), or empty the litter box every few days (if it's an indoor cat). They give the same amount of affection as a dog, they're just a lot more laid back in comparison.

A dog will get all exited to see you, a cat will come sleep on you and cuddle when you've calmed down.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I've 2 cats and 2 dogs. My sisters, mother and me combined have 6 cats, 4 dogs, 13 rats, a horse and some fish and shrimp.
So to answer the question... both?

Aug 12, 2013
Cats rule and dogs drool.

The real difference between a cat and dog is: a dog will give you love automatically for the most part but you earn a cat's a love and once you get their love, they make a dogs' love look pathetic.

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
It really depends on the breed and the personality of said cat or dog reall. We had a couple of springer spaniels that turned out to be cousins but even they were so different from one another. We've had both cats and dogs at home and honestly think both are great though in slightly different ways. I'd love to get another cat but unfortunately our labrador is a little too interested in them.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Dogs. They smell of strawberries and fresh straw, and if you treat them well they'll always stick by your side.

Cats are just such god damn assholes. Hypocritical assholes. People say cats are no problem and are very affectionate, but I do not find dead animals being left by the door very affectionate. People say cats smell good. They do not. They smell of death and the gnarled callouses of a long dead lich, liquid substances freshly spilling from his agape jaw, and a multi legged creature from his eye to another. Not nice.

And also, their faces annoy me.

Dogs are also more practical. You can put cushions on dogs and use them as footrests, and if they're sturdier dogs they will happily oblige.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I've always been a dog person myself. Have owned maybe five or so since my life started; the first three were mutts of mostly indeterminable breed.

The last two have been purebred Jack Russell terriers. They're hellions, but they're lovable hellions.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I had a thread similar to this, but it was titled "Lets post pictures of our cats"....... I didn't want to bump a dead thread, so this seems like a good opportunity to post this one that my friend took (and edited in ms paint) : D