Catherine Demo

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
As some of you may or may not [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.298677-Playable-Catherine-Only-A-Week-Away] know, Catherine's Demo came out on PSN (and I think 360, someone might need to correct me if I am wrong).

My sister and I just finished the demo a few minutes ago, and I have to say....What the Hell?
Now with that said....What The hell?
Seriously, I still don't know what to think of it. I mean, I like it, but I don't...get it. Maybe that's a good thing.

Weirdness, notwithstanding, the game is amazing to play. I might see putting money down for the special edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109710-Catherine-Special-Edition-Includes-Underwear-Pizza-Box], for if nothing else, all the swag that comes with.

I can't say I've played too much of Atlus' Back catalog(ue), with the exception of a few hours of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and I didn't care for it then (I was young and stupid...), but this game is actually inspiring me to check out their games, see what I've been missing out on.

So, for anybody else who has played the Demo, are you intrigued, WTF'd about it, confused, inspired, ETC? What do you think, Escapist forum users?

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Le sigh. No PC version means I'll have to wait about 10 years til PCs become powerful enough to emulate current-gen consoles... or if the rumors are true about Win 8 maybe not... >.>

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
evilneko said:
Le sigh. No PC version means I'll have to wait about 10 years til PCs become powerful enough to emulate current-gen consoles... or if the rumors are true about Win 8 maybe not... >.>
Or you could just buy the game and a system, you know, like everyone else and actually support the developers for the piece of content that you're attempting to appreciate.

On-Topic:

The only thing that I've really seen or heard out of it was that same girl generally wearing a bra or a blouse with exposed cleavage with pigtails, like some cleverly disguised form of pedophilia. It looks interesting, so I'll give it credibility for that at the very least. God knows that it may be at least better than most of the garbage that's been hitting the shelves lately. Absolutely nothing interesting.

redspud

Feb 1, 2011
Yup its on Live but only for Gold members.

The game is pretty good although the controls are a little wonky

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
PlasmaFrog said:
Or you could just buy the game and a system, you know, like everyone else and actually support the developers for the piece of content that you're attempting to appreciate.
The "and a system" is the issue here. Really, I'm not entirely sure why this is a console exclusive in the first place.

Aug 21, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
PlasmaFrog said:
The "and a system" is the issue here. Really, I'm not entirely sure why this is a console exclusive in the first place.
Because some games just suit consoles, puzzle platformers in particular. And because console players need something to be elitist about too. Atlus is that thing.

OP: seriously, check out Odin Sphere. I'll let someone else tell you to play Persona 3 and 4.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I loved it. The puzzle section was fun and hectic and I'm loving the art direction. The voice acting was also solid. I've already pre-ordered the "Love is Over" edition.
Check out Odin Sphere, Persona 3, Persona 4, and I've heard good things about the games on the DS.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I haven't played the demo yet, I'm kinda debating whether I really want to or not. I kind of want to be surprised.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I wasn't really interested in the game, but I downloaded the demo anyway to see what it's about.

I'm flabbergasted. I usually can't get into this sort of Japanese weirdness - I hated Killer7, for instance - but the two puzzle levels were really fun and the story seemed engaging. I'll check out more gameplay videos to see if the rest of the gameplay looks to be as good as what was shown in the demo, and if it does, looks like I'll go back on my promise to not buy games until I finish half my backlog.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Played the demo, and all I gotta say is that I'm glad I'm buying it.
Well one more thing to say: Yay Atlus!

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Early reviews are in too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HELNxOzcVpw
IGN gave it 9/10. Only two weeks until release!
Not that I'm excited about it or anything.
.>

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
Well I watched the IGN's video review and read their text review and I still have no idea whether I'd like it or not. The gameplay doesn't excite me, even if it does look like the story elements could be quite interesting.

The demo doesn't seem to be available in Australia yet, unsurprisingly.

Jan 27, 2011
TEMHOTA said:
You are not missing anything, it is a dumb puzzle game or some kind of stair climbing simulator. It's Q*Bert with commitment issues, was a waste of bandwidth to download. Glad I never ordered this "game".
Umm.....What exactly constitutes a "game" for you? Puzzle games are games too you know. Just because they don't have combat doesn't make them any less a game than say....I dunno...Borderlands, let's say.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Haven't tried the demo, want to stay completely spoiler-free. I've loved every Atlus game I've played so far (yes, that includes you, Maken Shao), so pre-ordering here is a safe bet. Of course, since there's no confirmed EU release I'm going to be relying on a Hong Kong-based business to bring me the game in a timely fashion.

..I might just have to go offline on July 26 and wait for my copy to arrive.

Anyway, OP: If you want more of Atlus's character-driven games I would recommend checking out the Persona series. Persona 4 is easily the most accessible of the lot, so that would be a good place to start. Persona 3 works too, but unless you're playing the PSP version, combat will be a bit more of a hassle.

Mind you, nearly all of Atlus's games have classic, tactical turn-based RPG combat. Making a puzzle game like this is very odd, even for them.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Ghostwise said:
TEMHOTA said:
evilneko said:
You are not missing anything, it is a dumb puzzle game or some kind of stair climbing simulator. It's Q*Bert with commitment issues, was a waste of bandwidth to download. Glad I never ordered this "game".
I thought of Q*Bert too lol. It's basically all it is judging from the demo alone. Oh...and you can answer a phone. That being said it was pretty freaking cool and absolutely odd.
Q*Bert? :(

I was never very good at that game. >.>

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I played the demo.
It's pretty cool. I don't think I will buy it, but I sure as hell wanna play through it.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Just downloaded and can't wait to play, the art direction looks top notch.