Catherine Demo

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Early reviews are in too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HELNxOzcVpw
IGN gave it 9/10. Only two weeks until release!
Not that I'm excited about it or anything.
.>
Don't let the cynics fool you. It's perfectly fine to get excited. I can't wait to play Catherine either.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
The demo was good expect for the actual....

gameplay. Sorry, was already feeling bored with just the two first levels. Kept dying a lot too mostly because I hate being rushed and found it boring. Moving blocks around to climb shit? It seems like some mini game for a real game. Choosing the text on the cell phone was fun though.

Seriously,one of the Xenosaga, at least one of the wild arms games, had puzzle mini games that were just as well made but were only a very small part of those games and completely optional.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
It's awful. It uses a two-dimensional morality bar to judge a person's overall happines and taste in women. The game fails the second the user doesn't share a taste for the main's women at all. The inconsistencies in cutscenes are annoying. The loading screen 'clock' is far more annoying than all of Duke Nukem Forever's loading screens. The controls were awful (I only died when the controls decided that if I'm hanging I suddenly need to fall instead of shimmy despite my lack of pushing 'B') and the gameplay itself is just for people who enjoyed making stairs as a kid with Legos.

The only thing I enjoyed was the texting system.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I wish I knew what this friggin' game was...

I knew I should have read the articles before!

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
DJDarque said:
I haven't played the demo yet, I'm kinda debating whether I really want to or not. I kind of want to be surprised.
I'm willing to bet someone from Atlus would laugh in your face if you said that to them. Pretty sure they're not giving away any of the stuff.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
I enjoyed the demo, mainly for the story. Unfortunately I'm still fearing the same problem as I was before, and IGN's review part confirmed it really. That, like Persona 3 and 4, the gameplay ends up becomming more like a chore which you have to do, just to get to the next story piece. Oh well, thanks to the story being so interesting, I'll get it and probably enjoy it regardless, like 3 and 4.

One thing though, I hope the sensitivity for the analog stick is toned down a bit. I dunno about anyone else, but I constantly kept on climbing ontop of blocks, instead of turning around to grab, because it was too sensitive.

FuktLogik

Jan 6, 2010
I didn't like it. It's a visual novel with uninteresting puzzle gameplay. But hey, this is what demos are for. Saved me a rental or purchase fee.

G-Force

Jan 12, 2010
redspud said:
Yup its on Live but only for Gold members.

The game is pretty good although the controls are a little wonky
Had an issue too but then I used the d-pad and everything felt smooth.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
mireko said:
Haven't tried the demo, want to stay completely spoiler-free. I've loved every Atlus game I've played so far (yes, that includes you, Maken Shao), so pre-ordering here is a safe bet. Of course, since there's no confirmed EU release I'm going to be relying on a Hong Kong-based business to bring me the game in a timely fashion.

..I might just have to go offline on July 26 and wait for my copy to arrive.

Anyway, OP: If you want more of Atlus's character-driven games I would recommend checking out the Persona series. Persona 4 is easily the most accessible of the lot, so that would be a good place to start. Persona 3 works too, but unless you're playing the PSP version, combat will be a bit more of a hassle.

Mind you, nearly all of Atlus's games have classic, tactical turn-based RPG combat. Making a puzzle game like this is very odd, even for them.
Please don't tell me you like Demi kids. I swear to god, please don't.

Yeah, Catherine, crazy fucking shit. Off the hook.

IT'S LIKE I'M REALLY A NONCOMITTAL SALARYMAN

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:

Haven't played Demi Kids. My experience is limited to their PS1/PS2/PSP games, unfortunately.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
I might get it down the road. I am stashing away money for Dark Souls, SR3, and Deus Ex in the fall though.

Durananrananrananran said:
Because some games just suit consoles, puzzle platformers in particular.
If only you could plug in some kind of controller type device into a PC. Some kind of pad used to play games...

Damn, only if such a device existed...

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Catherine sort of confuses me. I don't know why anyone cares about it. Isn't it just another game? I mean the romance thing seems interesting in daring sort of way but the game play itself just looks to be puzzle worthy which means so very little to me as a stand alone game play element. I dunno I'm the sort of guy that decided to turn down the portal games despite there humor and the persona games just seem way to Japanese. Just seems to me this game will just come out. We'll talk about it for a week maybe yahtzee will review it but it just fade out. Maybe I need to go play that demo and see how it works for me.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
mireko said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:

Haven't played Demi Kids. My experience is limited to their PS1/PS2/PSP games, unfortunately.
Good. Don't ever play it. The SMT community counts it as one of those Tsukihime anime type things. Namely, pretending it doesn't exist. So there.

Crankafoo

Mar 28, 2010
The demo was great, I'm so happy I pre-ordered the "Love is Over" edition. So worth it.
The feel of the game was good (while the controls were a bit wonky), the sound was great.
I was actually really please with the social aspect. I've always loved that about Atlus games. i.e. Persona

Way more pumped about that game than I was a week ago.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
I was a bit hesitant about the gameplay, but after playing the demo I know I'll enjoy this game.

Remember when games didn't have to have a million things to collect and super deep gameplay to be fun? As I see it right now it's going to be a fun game with a good story. Though the 2-way 'karma' system kinda irks me. But then again, the Persona team isn't too big on alternate endings or non-linear story telling, so they're probably just new to this.

Though I admit, to the average consumer this totally isn't worth $60.

Siris

Everyone's Favorite Transvestite
Jan 15, 2009
Got it, loved it, gotta say it was just as hard as I had hoped