Catherine Gameplay Getting Difficulty Downgrade

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Catherine Gameplay Getting Difficulty Downgrade

What was supposed to be tense and rewarding gameplay seems to be just plain old hard instead.

The "nightmare" sections in Atlus' erotic thriller, Catherine, might be a little too aptly named, as players in Japan are complaining that they're too hard. Those complaints have prompted Atlus to start work on a patch that will make the whole game easier.

The nightmare sections see lead character Vincent climbing huge towers made of blocks. Players can move these blocks into different positions to create paths and stairways as Vincent climbs ever higher in a desperate scramble to escape his monstrous pursuers. Writing on the game's official blog, director Katsura Hashino said the reason that the nightmare sections were so hard was because team had tried to fill them with tension, and give players a sense of accomplishment when they completed them.

There's no timetable for when the patch will arrive, although as a stopgap, the official site has a new "advice" section, which offers tips and hints for getting through the game. These only help with the game's easy mode, however, so anyone playing on a higher difficulty level is going out of luck. Hopefully, if the game does make it to the West, this patch will come along with it.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/21/catherine_difficulty_patch/]

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
It's interesting that Atlus is doing this. I don't remember hearing of anything similar.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
From what I saw from the demo I am not sure whether these sections are 'hard'. It felt more that the controls, in particular the blockmovement, felt too sticky. But maybe that is just me...

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
After a few failures, unless the gameplay is really compelling, like a megaman or contra or something, tension is replaced by frustration and annoyance.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
from soft should take note. difficulty levels people! an optional easy patch would actually convince me to buy their stupidly hard game.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Nothing ruins a game faster and more completely than total hair pulling frustration. The first timed part of eversion comes to mind, I don't care how creepy it is, it can go rot

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
But what if I want it hard?? Can't they just add a new difficulty level?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Rarrgghhh

Okay, jokes aside, well I haven't played this game so I wouldn't know but yeah, some times there is something called too hard. Even if your wanting a hard challenge, it still needs to be winnable. That being said, couldn't they just patch in a difficulty option? I'm sure that would make everyone happy.

d3structor

Jul 28, 2009
The first thing I thought of was the Devil May Cry 3 special edition with the lowered difficulty. But since they can just patch the game this works just as well.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Aww, this is kind of sad to read. I've been really looking forward to Catherine, shame that it doesn't sound as great in play as it did on paper.

Still. Maybe it'll change with the Western release.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I keep seeing this game reported on by all kinds of websites and magazines and am confused as to why we haven't gotten word of a Western release. I can't speak for everyone, but from what I have seen I am pretty sure we want it :p

I haven't played a "hard" game in ages. I hope they don't go overboard.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
GeorgW said:
I'm assuming that is the idea of the patch, to slot in a lesser difficulty and rename the others. It would be weird to just downgrade all the difficulties.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
manythings said:
GeorgW said:
I'm assuming that is the idea of the patch, to slot in a lesser difficulty and rename the others. It would be weird to just downgrade all the difficulties.
But that's the thing, from what I could interpret from the article and comments, the hard mode will be easier, but the easy mode won't be affected, which just seems moronic.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's like a reverse Blue Dragon.

Which was too easy, and needed to have Hard mode added post-release.

That said, it's nice to hear them taking feedback on a SOLO game seriously.