Catherine Review

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Slycne said:
mikev7.0 said:
*facedesk*

"Impugning our integrity??"

*blinks*

What are you? Freakin' C-SPAN now?? I don't come to the Escapist due to it's intregity man. I-I don't think anyone really does. We come here for entertainment, sorta'. More like info about entertainment. So I wasn't impugning something I don't care about here.

I dared disagree, that was all. I forgot that wasn't allowed and neither is pointing out that no one has a right to declare their opinion as fact.

I also implied that the Escapist was pro Catherine and that people thinking of buying this game should filter the review through that possibility. So how does that implication not hold water? Other than the obvious fact that it wasn't meant to. It was meant to imply something.

If you read my above posts you would also realize that the fact that a game that every person that I actually know who plays it loves it and has a lot of fun with it (about five gamers now) got a 2 is also confusing to me. That would be Duke Nuke Em'. Both games are at least average. One gets panned, the other lionized. I was just asking (myself mostly) why since I've played both games and would call them at least 3s.
Alright, so we're simply dumb or bad at our jobs then? Is that what you're saying? Look I'm perfectly fine with you disagreeing, and I never said that was wrong in any way. My point of contention was always your notion that because we've posted any content prior to the release that our reviews are no longer objective.
Wow listen to yourself(ves) a sec will you? If someone implies that you were already "for" or "Pro" something you reviewed, or just disagrees or may all the gods weep and they dare suggest that no one has a right to state their opinion as fact, you leap strait down their throat!

I never said anything about your being bad at your jobs or dumb. Ever. I just disagreed and took exception to anyone presenting their opinion as fact.

An' look I can't put it in any more clear terms than I already have, I leave it to people to play the demo and judge for themselves, that I can buy this game used already though for 25 bucks does say a lot about the level of buyers remorse in the market.

I'm not saying anything more about objectivity since as I said I reserve that for Math, Science, and C-SPAN. You are none of those and I can't use any form of english other than the one I know, so if you're still confused sorry but I can't help ya'.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
mikev7.0 said:
No not at all. Here let me finish what I was saying instead of just letting the thought trail off towards what I thought was the obvious. Come on people.... the Escapist (for whatever reason) is pro Catherine. It's obvious that you would like this game to succeed. Why the heck else would you be arguing with someone for just having a different opinion and pointing out that opinions do not equal facts?
Urr, not really. I don't really care if you like Catherine or not, or whether or not you buy it for that matter. What started this discussion was you implying that we were on Atlus' payroll because we gave Catherine a score you didn't agree with.
When did I imply that? All I implied was that you were pro-Catherine I never said that you were on ATLUS's payroll! Good god I hope not! I mean that has happened times before where game "journalism" has been concerned so a consumer wouldn't be completely of base to think it was possible but that's not what I implied.

Maybe y'all should look up where the word "forum" originated from, It means I have a right to have an opinon, it can be different than yours, and that's okay in fact at times it's actually educational. That's supposed to be the point.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
mikev7.0 said:
Wow listen to yourself(ves) a sec will you? If someone implies that you were already "for" or "Pro" something you reviewed, or just disagrees or may all the gods weep and they dare suggest that no one has a right to state their opinion as fact, you leap strait down their throat!

I never said anything about your being bad at your jobs or dumb. Ever. I just disagreed and took exception to anyone presenting their opinion as fact.

An' look I can't put it in any more clear terms than I already have, I leave it to people to play the demo and judge for themselves, that I can buy this game used already though for 25 bucks does say a lot about the level of buyers remorse in the market.

I'm not saying anything more about objectivity since as I said I reserve that for Math, Science, and C-SPAN. You are none of those and I can't use any form of english other than the one I know, so if you're still confused sorry but I can't help ya'.
But you didn't just disagree. That's the whole point. No one would have a problem if you simply said "Hey, I didn't have the same experience and didn't enjoy this game. Here's why."

mikev7.0 said:
Well at least the admitted bias explains how this game got such a glowing review and a great score, seriously, I appreciate that because before I read that post I was wondering if I had demoed the same game.
mikev7.0 said:
Then again that probably wouldn't help sell games and when a site does a special video for the unboxing of the deluxe edition? Come on people...
mikev7.0 said:
You're right there really are many reasons why someone might not enjoy this game. Too bad that wasn't in your professional review. "It might not be for everyone" doesn't quite cut it. Not when you give it an almost perfect score which in my mind should be logically reserved for only the best of games.
mikev7.0 said:
Beg pardon? I never said anything about a conspiracy. Those are your words. I meant to imply that a site that has carried as many articles and given as much press to this game as the Escapist has, is very likely to also give it a glowing review. I'm sure you can do the math as to why. I find this upsetting as Catherine is by no means one of the best games in my opinon or deserving of an almost perfect review. It's average. Then again the Escapist took another average game with disturbing imagery and destroyed it. I'm learning things work different here. Not so much conspiracy as spin. Basically to me if it quacks, has downy stuff, webbed feet, and a bill, it should not be so defensive when someone suggests that it probably recieved it's advanced education in Oregon.
mikev7.0 said:
Where I live fraud is an actual charge for an actual crime. I was trying to imply that no reviewer that was, in my opinion, trying to be honest and objective would give this game a nearly perfect score, and that what she says in the review itself as well as in her posts does not match the score. Take that as you will.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
mikev7.0 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Urr, not really. I don't really care if you like Catherine or not, or whether or not you buy it for that matter. What started this discussion was you implying that we were on Atlus' payroll because we gave Catherine a score you didn't agree with.
When did I imply that? All I implied was that you were pro-Catherine I never said that you were on ATLUS's payroll! Good god I hope not! I mean that has happened times before where game "journalism" has been concerned so a consumer wouldn't be completely of base to think it was possible but that's not what I implied.

Maybe y'all should look up where the word "forum" originated from, It means I have a right to have an opinon, it can be different than yours, and that's okay in fact at times it's actually educational. That's supposed to be the point.
As I mentioned before, I don't care whether you like Catherine or not. If you think it's an average game, that's absolutely fine with me. If you look back over my comments, at no point have I ever said that the problem was your opinion of the game.

The problem, is comments like this:

"Then again that probably wouldn't help sell games and when a site does a special video for the unboxing of the deluxe edition? Come on people...."
Now, perhaps that comment wasn't meant to suggest that our review, and indeed, our coverage, was the result of a payout, but I'm sure you can see how it could be misconstrued.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Ah well the silver lining here for me not buying the game is noone will look at me weird in the store.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
An animu game about emotion and relationships from a dude's perspective. I don't think I could ever touch a game like that. I started watching a video about it and the art was so ugly I had to turn it off.

I'm all for exploring mature themes in games, but it would be better if I didn't have to be a weeaboo dude to derive enjoyment from them.

DexterNorgam

Jul 16, 2011
Great game. Gets pretty much everything right. The Reviewer is absolutely correct don't play through on easy mode the first time through, you're totally robbing yourself of the joy of victory.

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
wow, this Game looks really good, hadn't heard of it till now.
The Gameplay seems to work well with the theme of the game, as often dreams seem like solving puzzles, (in this case horrifying nightmares), thus the big giant evil boss fights sound perfect to create fear, tension, and help with the game..

I'm looking forward to getting this now..
Thanks Escapist! :)

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
. . . Oh Gods. . . Ok I will say this about it, its different // For all of the 100's of FPS/sport/racing clones out there this is different

I like how they seen how people will playing anything as long as it involves over complex yet simple puzzles games and said, lets make a dating sim out of this

-M

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
I generally thought the game was terrible. I see that I'm in the minority so I'll keep the majority of my opinion to myself though. If I wasn't in a gaming drought right now I would hardly ever pick Cathrine up again. It's not as great as everyone says.