Catherine- swallow my pride or have an aneurysm?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I just got Catherine, had been anticipating it for awhile. Played for a few hours and loving the story. The gameplay is unique and keeps me on my toes. I've made it to night 3 and have realized this game is hard as hell even on normal. My controller might eventually end up being thrown through my television screen.

I never play games on the easy setting but I'm actually thinking of swallowing my pride. What would you suggest?

EDIT: I believe I am going with easy mode atleast for my first playthru. I decided this after reading about how even easy mode was so hard they had to patch it due to the overwhelming complaints about the games difficulty. I like a good challenge and it seems easy mode will still provide that. I like my games somewhere in the middle of incredibly frustrating and boringly easy.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
The first thing I do is play any game I have on the easiest difficulty. I want to see how the story and challenges progress and, ultimately, learn of my characters fate. Then, if I so choose, I'll try the game on a harder difficulty if I found the game to be compelling enough to warrant another playthrough. Oh, and a proverb for you...

"Pride goeth before a fall."

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
I hate having to play on easy, but STALKER was one game where I did.

It's just easier to swallow your pride and try to play on normal the next time around...

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Swallow your pride until you're more comfortable with the gameplay and maybe get through the story at least once. A lot of people do that with rpgs, too.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Ando85 said:
I just got Catherine, had been anticipating it for awhile. Played for a few hours and loving the story. The gameplay is unique and keeps me on my toes. I've made it to night 3 and have realized this game is hard as hell even on normal. My controller might eventually end up being thrown through my television screen.

I never play games on the easy setting but I'm actually thinking of swallowing my pride. What would you suggest?
That's why it's called a Learning Curve.

Also, remember Persona? The combat is quite bitchy on "Normal" until you're used to how everything works. For Atlus, "Easy" is everyone elses "Normal" - Normal is Hard, and Hard is Insane.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
well i never play on anything easier than normal(except for an achievement run after having cleared the game on the hardest difficulty) but my tolerance for being frustrated by a game are extremely high so if you really might start trowing controllers better do the game on easy, from the looks of it Catherine has enough replay value to be played at least twice.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Nothing to be ashamed of, especially with a game like Catherine that is heavily story based. I would switch into easy mode, beat them game and then go back and try the game again on normal.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Don't go easy.

I've had a couple of games recently that I've seriously considered dropping to Easy on. Mass Effect (the Krogan you fight just after meeting Liara just kept stomping all over me) and various stages of [Prototype], but I stuck it out, because I was enjoying the games and knew if I dropped to Easy I'd fly through the rest of it way too quickly and regret it when I was done.

Don't take the easy route. You'll appreciate your victories all the more if you have to work for 'em a little bit.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'm gonna side with the aneurysm. The pros clearly outweigh the cons.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
*puts hand up* I'm a story over gameplay person. XD Sort of. I always start Atlus games on easy then work my way up. They have a way of kicking you in the nads *remembers Shadow Kanji when I first played P4...And Namatame*

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
Do it. Put it on easy. As long as you don't drop it down to super easy. It's a really hard game in case you don't know, which you obviously don't.

Fishehh

May 2, 2009
Put it on Easy, I tried putting it on normal going "I'm decent at puzzles" WRONG that game is HARD.
Don't worry about knowing the end of the game from playing on easy then playing again apparently there are about 7 endings
Also can some one please tell me how to change the "Spoiler: Click to View" to my own text?

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
It's an Atlus game so it's probably really that hard. Just go to Easy until you think you're good. It's not worth smashing your TV over for any reason.