Catherine Will Feature "Topless Female Demons"

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Catherine Will Feature "Topless Female Demons"

Blood, nudity, foul language, and babies who attack you with chainsaws. Man, Catherine's got everything.

Atlus's upcoming Catherine has been raising a lot of eyebrows, especially now that we've all seen <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109710-Catherine-Special-Edition-Includes-Underwear-Pizza-Box>how utterly bizarre the game's Collector's Edition is. Now, the ESRB has rated the game, and the information that the group's released to the public makes it sound even more crazy.

Catherine received an "M for Mature" rating, which, honestly, comes as a surprise to nobody who's been paying attention to the various news stories about the game. Also unsurprising is the list of reasons for the rating: "Blood, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Strong Language and Use of Alcohol and Violence."

On top of this, Catherine will not only feature a "chainsaw-wielding baby" as a boss, but there will also be "topless female demons."

Here's the full summary from the ESRB, explaining why the game received its M rating:

This is a puzzle adventure game in which players assume the role of Vincent, a man with relationship issues that are manifested in his dreams. The game transitions between animated cutscenes and puzzle stages (i.e., nightmares); in the nightmare world, players must help Vincent ascend crumbling towers by pushing, pulling, and climbing blocks to reach an exit. If players make the wrong move, they can be killed by spike traps and giant boss creatures (e.g., a demon bride, a chainsaw-wielding baby); death scenes are accompanied by exaggerated splashes of blood as Vincent is stabbed, crushed, shot, or bitten. During one cutscene, a character is stabbed in the stomach with a knife; a large pool of blood quickly forms under her body. In order to move faster in the puzzles stages, players can order Vincent alcoholic beverages (e.g., mixed cocktails, beer, sake, whiskey); after three drinks, he begins to stumble around when moving. These sequences are accompanied by voice-over narration: "It's said that chugging alcohol isn't good for you, but sometimes it's necessary" and "[T]ake a big swig of cognac!" Throughout the game, sex and sexuality are frequently referenced, sometimes while two characters are in bed together (e.g., "I finally became a man! Got rid of my V-card, BOOM," "If the one you loved confessed to a sexual habit that you found absolutely unacceptable, what would you do?" and "After all you've done to my body . . . Night after night . . ."). One bedroom sequence pans across a man's legs, then to his curling toes; another scene briefly depicts a woman caressing her body while making suggestive comments (e.g., "I've got such a hunger for these feelings . . . I know you have some hungers as well, don't you?" ). The game also depicts the central character surrounded by topless female demons-though shadow effects obscure most details. The words "f**k" and "sh*t" can be heard in the dialogue.

Catherine is due out here in the U.S. this July and will be playable at E3, so expect a full write-up then. I can't speak for the rest of the crew here at The Escapist, but any game that pits me against demon brides and babies wielding power tools has my full approval.

Source: <a href=http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=31215&searchkeyword=catherine>ESRB via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-31-catherine-has-topless-female-demons>Eurogamer

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wait, hasn't it been out for months in Japan?
Sounds interesting, so to say. But I still won't get it.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Meh, as long as I have google I don't need my daily amount topless coming from a game.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Not surprised at all.
The premise is interesting but i think ill let this one pass.

Though i really want more info for Shadows of the Damned.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
vansau said:
Catherine's Will Feature "Topless Female Demons"

I dunno... after all this hype and build-up, if the best they have to offer is mostly-obscured toplessness, I think a great many people are going to be disappointed. Specifically, the sort of person targeted by this "sexy times with sexiness and sex, too sexy for your country" marketing campaign.

Basically, they've acquired an audience based on a pretty particular promise, and it's sounding like their offerings in that department are in for a lukewarm reception. They haven't really been selling this thing on the intrigue, after all.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
vansau said:
Thrust said:
And let the controversy pot boil.
I'm waiting for the inevitable Fox News freakout.
You can bet the daily mail will jump on that bandwagon as well. I never will understand the twist in reality that is Japan.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
standokan said:
Meh, as long as I have google I don't need my daily amount topless coming from a game.
True as that may be, I dont have the time to search topless females and play all these games...

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
honestly. what new game about demons doesn't have topless demons. dante's inferno. duke nukem. dragon age.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
It would hardly be an Atlus game without a good old fashioned Succubus. I doubt it will stir up any real controversy cause it's Japanese and they seem to get away with it most times, excepting that whole RapeLay thingy.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
"I can't speak for the rest of the crew here at The Escapist, but any game that pits me against demon brides and babies wielding power tools has my full approval."

Benny Benassi - Satisfaction?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
vansau said:
Thrust said:
And let the controversy pot boil.
I'm waiting for the inevitable Fox News freakout.
Maybe it can fly under the radar like Persona did?
How a 10 year old shooting himself in the head with a gun shaped object got by, I'll never know.
OP: Not surprised. Actually, most people excited for the game aren't attracted by the sex appeal. It is the people behind the game.

jcox2820

May 3, 2011
Yeah, this shouldn't surprise us. I'm not a fan of nudity for nudity's sake, but Atlus knows how to it tastefully and with purpose. Besides, this should be way less controversial that the topless demon in Persona 3 that a "B" on one tit and a "J" on the other.