Cave Story 3D Screens Show Major Changes

Chaoswin1

Nov 18, 2010
Oh wow the screens look really surreal for a game I really loved playing in 2D and it's a game I would put as my favourite Indie platform game if not my favourite in general. I hope the guys do justice to the original because there's nothing like having your favourite games being butchered just so Nintendo can keep the 3D fad going.

Although the sentence " definitely throwing out most of what was used for Cave Story graphically in favor of a totally new look" does make me a bit suspicious and sceptical about getting it. And what's this with the soundtrack being remixed? The soundtrack was one of my favourite things about the game. I honestly do hope they do a good job of it but that doesn't seem likely.

EarthBoundGiygas

Aug 16, 2010
Manic 101 said:
These look quite good, but as a fan of the original style (See: my avatar) it seems a bit... strange to see the game looking like this. But thats probably my inner fanboy talking.

Oh, and is it just me, but do most 3DS screens look worse when viewed on websites?
yeah if you want better pictures look for the nintendo power article on it.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
huh....I'm actually not looking forwards to this. Now, I'm a big a fan of Cave Story, but I, like many above, find that the original pixel artwork had a charm that isn't going to be beaten by rendered, 3D environments. Although the expansion on the story might be good and worth my time, and who knows the game could be lots of fun (it is Cave Story after all). but I'll reserve my judgment.

It's not like an old game is being updated to 3D graphics, that I have fewer problems with, but this game is from 2004, why would I want it to look like anything other than a retro throwback? That was a HUGE part of the original appeal. Without that charm, I'm far less interested and feel that I will find it lackluster in comparison.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
August...... 9th?

; A ;

WHYYYYY

Manic 101 said:
These look quite good, but as a fan of the original style (See: my avatar) it seems a bit... strange to see the game looking like this. But thats probably my inner fanboy talking.

Oh, and is it just me, but do most 3DS screens look worse when viewed on websites?
It definitely isn't you. Actually viewing the game is an entirely different story. And that's a good thing

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Good, people playing Cave Story were clearly after good graphics above everything else

Yuri Albuquerque

Apr 22, 2011
I don't know if I have some problem, but I really hate the "They Changed It, Now It Sucks" [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks] point of view.

So what if the game is not in 2D? If you want to play Cave Story 2D, you can download it for FREE. It doesn't make sense to complain for something like "oooh, they are releasing it for a different plataform, but they changed it. So... disgusting."

But I agree the 2D graphics were somewhat attractive. It reflected the simplicity of the core mechanics of the game, and because of this the graphics were perfect as-were.

BUT let's remember the main focus of the 3DS platform is the... 3D visualization. If they're going to make a port to this platform, it is, indeed, really important to explore these potentials.

Marcusss

Jan 24, 2011
It is bloody ugly...:( Seriously it has nothing to do with awesome atmosphere of the original...

Alzabane

May 30, 2009
wtf?! why do europe have to wait again! I am so sick of nintendo delaying games for no good reason, I love cave story and want to buy this (despite some charm being lost graphics wise) but I'm not waiting until september, nintendo please sort this out

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Soon the "big poo" have a few sweet corns in it (including Ocarina of Time and this).

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not sure I care so much about the game look as long as the play isn't affected, but the new cover and art is absolutely freaking hideous compared to the charming original pixel art:

http://store.nisamerica.com/CaveStoryLarge

Uncanny Valley Story. Yes, even though they're robots.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Eh. I continue to remain unimpressed by anything on the 3DS. If it was a sequel it might be worth looking into, but I can enjoy an older version just as much as a new gussied-up one.

ATmatey36

Apr 12, 2011
Ehhh...not very impressed by this. Don't get me wrong, Cave Story ranks up very high on my top games ever, but I really like the original pixel art compared to the plain-looking 3d visuals I'm seeing now.

It's kind of the same when I played Metroid Other M compared to the older 2d-Metroids. Somehow the environments felt a lot more alive in Super Metroid because of the atmosphere built around them, they felt a lot more real because it was 2d. In Other M the control scheme was for a 2d-game but the environments were in 3d, which just felt awkward and stupid. Why not just make the gameplay 3d if the surroundings already are?

I'm not excited about the new remixed soundtrack, since they already killed most of the songs on the wiiware version. The original music is one of the best I've ever heard, so you'd have to do an insanely good job to even come close to the same quality.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
Not sure what people are grumbling about the visuals, they look like a pretty good adaptation to me. Its true that the pixel art was charming and you won't be able to reproduce that appeal but the 3d graphics have its own charm.
Also, probably more people will play it which is a good thing as its a great game.