CBS Investigates New Sherlock Holmes TV Show

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Oh you American networks. Why don't you just admit the War of Independence was a waste of time and come rejoin us? Tear up that silly old Constitution and start singing God Save the Queen in your schools?
After seeing how they've progrssed since they've gained independance do we really want them back? We kicked the puritans out of the country for a reason.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Is this show going to leave us with a cliff hanger for a year too?

If so, then I want no part in it. I'll wait till the series is finished.

(Reads responses to thread... Wow, why do you all really tell us how you feel about America? Does it make you feel special to hate on a country?)
Because America has a bad track record with remaking shows. Its not exactly hard to see why people would be defensive.

I mean, i'm just not going to watch it so I won't care, but I see their reasoning.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Isn't it cute that America keeps trying to recapture the magic of great non-US shows/movies and screws them completely up...

You'd thing with Hollywood and the like they would have creativity, but guess not.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Speaking as an avid Holmes fanboy, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with what I'm reading here. Not about the show itself, I'm actually going to give it the benefit of the doubt and check it out.

I'm disappointed in the people posting here. More than one person has made it sound like America isn't worthy of Sherlock Holmes. Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Yes, the concept is clearly ripped from Sherlock (which I loved by the way...except the second episode, it kinda sucked) but that doesn't automatically mean bad. As long as they try to have some original flair on the series (basically not do the exact same plots as Sherlock) it could pull through

Or it could get cancelled after one season, I don't really know. (I have a feeling this is the more likely scenario, whether it's good or not)

And yes, historically speaking, American remakes of British shows don't do very well.

But to throw something back, it's not like British remakes of American shows do much better. Have you ever seen Days Like These? Terrible terrible show, especially when a few episodes were almost word for word from the original That 70's Show.

So yeah...British people...don't act so high and mighty when you've had some problems of your own in that field :p

...on that note I DO apologize for my countries horrible attempt at Red Dwarf >_>

I'm going to watch Elementary when it comes out and I'm going to attempt to judge it on its own merits. If it's good, great. If it's not, no big deal, I'll stop watching. But I'm at least willing to give it a "Might be good." until I see something for myself.

Hito-Chan

Apr 23, 2010
Captain Booyah said:
Well, I guess everybody's already pointed out that this is just going to be an American version capitalising on the success of BBC's Sherlock. Unless they find a way to improve upon Sherlock's formula/premise, rather than copying it, then I don't really see the point.

Also, I'm sick of "elementary" jokes. ...And titles. DO NOT WANT.
I just want to see the network describe it as ?An American version of the early 1900?s classic and well-loved British series of novels and short stories that gave us the phrase, ?Elementary, my dear Watson,? ' so I can be like, ***** YOU?RE MAKING JEEVES AND WOOSTER.

Wait, I take that back. Jeeves and Wooster would be even worse. Now, if they wanted to be creative but still rip something off, maybe AJ Raffles? Or why not do one from the perspective of Moriarty? Mix it up a bit- the novelty might even make up for the fact it?s American, if it isn?t handled too ham-handedly. Or maybe they could leave out Irene Adler, I?m pretty sure THAT?s never been done before.

Hito-Chan

Apr 23, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
Isn't it cute that America keeps trying to recapture the magic of great non-US shows/movies and screws them completely up...

You'd thing with Hollywood and the like they would have creativity, but guess not.
Well, recently, I thought Girl With A Dragon Tattoo was pretty excellent in both versions; and historically, there?s a good record as well- The Scent of a Woman, 12 Monkeys, The Magnificent Seven, The Sound of Music, and The Departed- all of which are VERY highly acclaimed- are American remakes of non-American films.

And pretty much every country remakes a ton of movies- the other major film producers all remake american stuff all the time: China makes Chinese adaptations of everything from Terminator to Harry Potter, Japan is making Blood Simple into the bizarrely titled A Simple Noodle Story (not to mention their obsession with the American Resident Evil series, which is itself adapted from the Japanese video game Biohazard), Bollywood makes hilarious American adaptations verging on parodies, and every non-English-speaking country does loads of dubs of American shows and movies.

It?s not the ?American remake? thing that?s troubling- it?s the ?American remake that adds nothing new? that?s the issue. And about the creativity thing... may I refer you to Everything Is A Remix?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
A Sherlock Holmes that doesn't take place in the past?! How dare they rip off the completely original idea that the current show Holmes has done!

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Why am I picturing a, badly, modernised version of Without a Clue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkC3_3ruBU8

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
GAH! NO! Back the fuck off my Sherlock! Seriously, be happy that there's already a show like it! And it's probably better, too!

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The BBC one was good, especially once I got over Moriarty, so the bar is set pretty high. Quite frankly I hope they make a good show since it'll at least be good to have more watchable stuff on tv as opposed to more Jersey Shore and friends. Still I'm not getting my hopes up. Honestly, I'm not British, but I really want him to have an English accent.